The Spirit Of The West: Educating Fire Bringer
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2008 by aubie56

Fire Bringer spent most of the winter of 1871-72 at the Flying M Ranch, and as much of that time as possible in the company of Maria. Juanita was not surprised, in fact she was expecting it, when the two started talking of making their attachment permanent. They were both 16 years old, or so close that it made no difference, and this was considered marriageable age for both male and female, provided they could afford it. Money was certainly no problem, so Juanita just let nature take its course.

Fire Bringer woke up one day to the realization of a serious problem: he was nearly immortal, but Maria most definitely was not! He had already made sure that she and Juanita both had the same kind of body armor that he used, so they were not likely to be seriously injured, either by accident or on purpose. But he could do nothing about the normal aging of the human body. For a few years, it would make no difference, but what would they do when she looked 40 and he looked 25? Or, even worse, when she looked 70 and he looked 25? Storm Who Walks had better come up with a solution very soon, or Fire Bringer was going to resign from the superhero business real damned quick!

"Storm Who Walks, what can be done about Maria's aging?"

"I wondered how long it was going to take for that to dawn on you. There is only one way for her to live as long as you. She will have to undergo the same kind of conversion that you went through. She does not have the natural proclivity for the mental powers that you do, but she can learn them if you are willing to be a very patient teacher. Are you willing to go through that? It will not be easy, but it can be done."

"Yes, I will be happy to teach her. Just give me time to explain the facts to her before you start the conversion. It is possible that she will not want to change."

"That is true, especially when she finds out that the conversion will make it impossible for her to bear children. The profound changes to her body will make it impossible for her to conceive, just as they have made it impossible for you to sire children."

"WHAT!?! YOU NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT THAT!"

"I am sorry that I forgot to tell you. When you were converted at 12 years old, you were not interested in having children, so I did not mention it. Since then, time has slipped by, and I have not thought of it. I am truly sorry if this disturbs you, but consider what it would be like to remain young while your children age and die in front of your eyes."

"I see your point, Storm Who Walks, but I am very unhappy that you never gave me a choice in the matter. Yes, you are correct, I would hate to outlive my children. Nevertheless, it is a shock to hear that I am cursed this way. I will have to explain the situation to Maria; she may want to stop seeing me, now that this information has come to light. I will discuss it with her and her mother today."

At breakfast, Bobby said, "Maria and Juanita, a serious factor about me has just come to light and I must discuss it with you both after breakfast. Can you make time for me as soon as the breakfast things are taken care of?"

They both agreed and they sat at the kitchen table over coffee while Bobby explained the situation. "You both know that I have a spirit mentor named Storm Who Walks. I had a discussion with him this morning involving news which has some disturbing overtones. Both of you ladies know that I have become romantically interested in Maria, and this news relates to that. There is no way I know of to break the news to you gently, so I will just be blunt. The news has two facets, one of which is that I cannot sire children."

This statement produced gasps of surprise from the women, and looks of the utmost sympathy. Bobby continued his explanation, "The transformation which turned me into Fire Bringer was what caused that change, too. I am practically immortal, so it was done to keep me from having to watch my children age and die while I remained a youthful 25. I was shocked at first by this news, but I now see the good sense it represents.

"However, I feel that it is only fair that I tell Maria my condition so that she can decide whether or not to remain romantically attached to me. I can understand it if either of you ladies decide that I should stop seeing Maria, and, in fact, move on to live somewhere else. Don't worry, I shall continue to provide for your financial needs as long as necessary, even if I no longer live with you.

"I may as well tell you the other half of the news I learned this morning, while I am about it, since the two are closely related. If Maria should marry me, under the present conditions, I would outlive her by a vast number of years. I expect to live for thousands of years before I die, so this could not be a normal relationship under those circumstances.

"Therefore, I inquired if Maria could be transformed to be able to live as long as me. Storm Who Walks said that she could, indeed, be transformed and could learn to do all that I can do. I would only need to teach her how to do it. Now, the bad news is that she, too, would not be able to bear children after the transformation, so that is a further decision that she must make.

"I realize that our situations are different, since I was not offered the opportunity to choose. But, Maria, you can choose which ever path you would like to follow. You can remain just as you are and marry someone else, or you can be transformed and marry me. Just remember, if you are transformed, you can never have children! The choice is not reversible!

"I do not want to pressure either of you into making a quick decision, so please discuss the options and take as long as you need to make up your minds. Please understand that I will abide by whatever decision Maria ultimately makes."

Juanita started to cry, but Maria got a determined look on her face. She said, "I don't need to take time to consider my decision, I know what it is right now. Children are important to me, but you, Bobby, are even more important. I will listen to what my mother has to say, but my desire is to spend eternity with you! I will change my mind only if she has some very compelling arguments. Mother, do you have anything to say at this time, or do you need to think about it, first?"

Juanita stifled her tears and said, "I am shocked that Maria has to make such a decision at such an early age, and I was looking forward to grandchildren, but I will accept whatever she decides to do. I know what it is like to make sacrifices for the man you love, as I had to do when I ran off from home with my husband, but it is the decision a woman has to make and live with, so I will not stand in Maria's way, no matter how she decides. I will ask her to wait 24 hours before she commits to the transformation, just in case she wants to change her mind."

Maria said, "Oh, Mother, I love you so very much, and I hate to distress you, so I will wait the 24 hours you asked for, but I already know how I will choose. I feel that Bobby and I were made for each other, and I can hardly wait to be his wife!" Maria got up from her chair and walked around the table to Bobby. She kissed him very passionately and said, "I want us to be together forever!"

Fire Bringer spent the day away from the ranch house so that the women would be free to talk.

The next day, at breakfast, Maria said, "I have waited the 24 hours that my mother asked me to, and I have come to a decision. I want to join you, Bobby, and to be your wife forever. What do I have to do?"

"You don't have to do anything, Maria. Just go to sleep tonight as you normally would, and you will be transformed when you wake up tomorrow morning. We will begin your education then."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.