Evolutionist - Cover

Evolutionist

Copyright© 2008 by Fick Suck

Epilogue

Danny stood with his attorney in front of the federal judge at the courthouse in Newark. He was a bit uncomfortable in his overly-starched shirt and tie, but he tried to put the discomfort out of his mind.

The officer of the court called their case and Danny followed his attorney to the table. The small courtroom was nearly empty. Besides the prosecutor and the parties for the next case sitting in the back row, only Vincente and Melosa, both holding Jacinta's hands, were there.

"Can we all agree to keep this petition short and to the point," the judge asked both attorneys.

When they both agreed, the judge signaled Danny's lawyer to begin.

"My client petitions the court to expunge his felony conviction from his record. My client was convicted of teaching evolution during the Patterson presidency. Since this draconian law has been long revoked along with most other similar measures, we ask the court to remove this stain from this man's record as well."

"Does the prosecution have an objection?" the judge asked, and when the prosecutor barely got up the interest to say "no objection", the judge banged his gavel, announced Danny's record expunged, and declared a lunch break all in the same breath.

Outside of the courtroom, Danny held their three-year-old daughter, Melosa, in one arm while giving his wife a hug.

"First we get a celebration lunch. Then we can go sign the papers for the business loan at the bank before we visit Grandpa Vince at the nursing home."

"I can go out to lunch with you, but then I've got to get back to work," Jacinta said, glancing at her watch. "Dow Chemical has a new inventory program coming on line tonight and as chemist supervisor, I've got to hold everyone's hand until the software goes live. I'll be late tonight."

"You're as intelligent as you are beautiful," Danny said. "Maybe I can leave the kids with Aunt Sheila for a few hours before we go to the home. A three and a five year old running around in the bank doesn't sound like the best idea."

Jacinta shook her head, dismissing his suggestion.

"I think Sheila is working first shift this week. Call Tia Delores and be nice: no teasing her."

By this time, they had left the court building and were walking down the street looking for a restaurant. The traffic was heavy in the commercial district.

"I hope I never have to walk into that building again," Danny said.

"From your mouth to God's ear," Jacinta said. "When you open your furniture store, you have to put your foot down with Oscar. He can't launder so much money through your business that it attracts attention, no? I'm glad that Tio Rodrigo declared that he is considered extended family, but he isn't allowed to be too greedy. Family means obligations."

"Yes, it does, my dear. Family means obligations," Danny said with a conviction that Jacinta didn't quite understand.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.