Da'rastrix - Cover

Da'rastrix

Copyright© 2008 by Kenney Jones

Chapter 2

The trek to the mountains took four days. I awoke with the sun each morning and within the hour I was on the move. I ate as I walked, only stopping for a short time to gather apples from trees and to relieve myself off trail. Around mid-day I would stop to eat and stretch. Again on the trail within an hour of stopping. Farms dotted the landscape but no one was in sight of the road. It was a lonely journey but I wasn't sure if I'd appreciated someone else being there. A man heading off to his death didn't need to be distracted.

Just before the sun set on the second day I reached the foot of the mountain range located to the south and west of my village. This range stood from the northern shore leading half a days walk out into the water all the way to the south where it met another range that stretched to the east and north of my village. The village I was from was located in the valley between the two. There was just one other village within a weeks travel, a town rather, it was larger than ours being closer to the main road that led into the Vault Kingdom. There was even a garrison of soldiers there to police the area but none ever traveled more than a day from town.

I decided to rest for the night but spent about an hour on my sword skills before falling into a fitful sleep. I awoke with a start, I knew the dream I'd just had frightened me but I couldn't remember what it was that scared me. The sun was yet to make an appearance but I decided to get started anyway. When the sun did manage to wake from its night of rest I was just entering a large cave located half way up the mountain. Surprisingly, when I'd found the most ideal place to climb I spotted a trail that seemed to lead safely up so I followed it cautiously.

As I entered the cave slowly to allow my eyes to adjust I noticed the horrid smell that permeated the air. I also took note of the bones and and singed pieces of armor. This was the right place I thought to myself as I chose my steps carefully. Chose, ha what a laugh. I was chosen. Or at least thats what they told everyone. I knew better though. The mystery of my father dying and his body never being found had alienated my mother from our village as being unlucky. Very few wanted to speak to her and none befriended her. I was treated the same, the only one who ever spoke to me was Gwen, the mayor's daughter. She and I had slipped out late one night and was eavesdropping on a meeting being held by the village council. It was then that she and I overheard their plan to rig the village lottery, having myself win the honor of being the villages sacrifice. But that was then and it wasn't as if I had anything else going for me. I'd of had to leave the village at some point anyway. We weren't allowed land to farm as the village felt our bad luck would run off into the crops. We managed the little land we owned before my father disappeared, it provided just enough for us to survive. But now that I've been forced to leave I knew nothing good could be done for my mother. She'd also be forced to leave, sell what little possessions we had and move away. Somewhere she could start a new life, maybe find a husband and have more children. I was born to her at a young age and she still had several years before childbearing would no longer be an option.

"I smell you little one," a grating voice boomed from the darkness. It felt as though someone was taking a jagged knife and was dragging it across my spine. "Come! Come! Fight me little Munthrek!"

It knew I was here so I saw no need for skulking any longer. I straightened, tightened my shield and drew my sword, twirling it in my hand to loosen the muscles there. If I was going to die I'd do it on my feet, not groveling on the floor like a worm.

"Ah! There you are, I've been waiting for some time now. Will you give me a fight? It's been so long and tiresome." it said as it lowered it's head to my level. The smell of sulfur was strong in it's breath. And pillows of smoke issued from it's nostrils. I nodded my head afraid my voice would give away my fright. The chuckle that blossomed into a full belly laugh shook the earth as flames danced between his massive yellowed teeth. "So, the quiet arytiss. Maybe you are the challenge I've been waiting for."

With that he took a swipe with one massive clawed hand. I ducked under and rolled to my right, bringing my shield to bear. Just in time to be hit with it's other hand. I felt my feet loose purchase as I scrambled to my left. I managed to tuck my head and roll safely to my feet just in time to hurtle over the tail that tried to take my legs away. Once again on my feet I placed some distance between my foe and I. It was at that moment that I realized the magnitude of the hit I'd just taken to my left arm. The feelings of both numbness and pain confused my mind as I realized that blocking was no longer an option the clawed hands just to massive. I dropped the shield taking a two handed grip on my sword. This seemed to get the dragons attention as he once again went on the attack.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.