Pathfinder - Cover

Pathfinder

Copyright© 2008 by Kenney Jones

Chapter 17

Monday, March 16th, 2015

"I want to thank you for bringing me out here," the pointy eared female said to her companion. There were four in total in their small group. Two men were providing security for the two women. One taking point while the other brought up the rear, staying roughly 30 feet from the pair who were quietly talking as they all walked.

"There is no need to thank me Yessana, I'm just following orders." Jennifer had been told by Mike that she was to be in charge of Yessana until further notice. They were now walking the tree line of what was to become a rather large forest. Trees were being uprooted by numerous spider-bots and brought to a central location a mile south of the newly built city. It was a great way to clear land while not destroying a single tree. The animals who made the trees their home were put into stasis fields and brought right along with them. PETA sure would've liked to have had this option in the past.

"Be that as it may, I do owe you a debt of gratitude for both present AND past actions," the female Valcun said with a slight shiver. She tried desperately to forget what had happened to her just a few months before but still woke screaming most nights drenched in a cold sweat.

"Again, no thanks are necessary. I wouldn't want anyone to live through something like that." Yessana turned to look at Jennifer as she spoke those words, her voice carrying a hard edge. This was a kindred spirit, someone who'd went through the same ordeal she had.

"How did you overcome it?" Yessana asked placing her hand gently on Jennifer's arm bringing her to a halt. She felt the muscles tense and could tell that this woman was a powerful warrior. She didn't remove her hand though.

Several moments passed before Jennifer shrugged her shoulders in an off handed manor. "Who says you ever really get over it? There was nothing I could do about it then so why beat myself up over it?"

"Most of the time I'm scared," she said taking a cleansing breath. "When awake I'm afraid when men get to close or looks at me. When sleep, I replay every second of the torture they put me through. This is the first time since you rescued me that I haven't looked over my shoulder every couple of what you call minutes to see if someone was trying to sneak up on me."

"Those feelings will pass and so will the dreams. Take it one day at a time and you'll be OK." Jennifer began to walk again but Yesenia stopped her gently with the hand still on her arm. When she turned to look at her again Yessana continued.

"I still want you to know how much I appreciate what you did for me." At that point Yessana slowly rose to the tips of her toes. A move that impressed Jennifer enough that she didn't react to what this may mean. Yessana adjusted her head, tilting to one side and gently placed her lips against the other's cheek. As she returned to a more normal stance Jennifer noticed the blush that slowly came to her pale cheeks. It was then what happened finally registered. Her hand came up to slowly press to her cheek and she could feel the warmth that was left from those soft lips. She could also feel the heat rise to her cheeks as well as go down to her chest. Yessana smiled shyly as she turned to resume their stroll.

The foursome continued on walking. Nothing more was said, they were just relishing the quiet noises of the newly developed woods. Jennifer's mind was still going over the sensations going through her body. She'd never felt this way before, not even with a man. But this small woman, who barely stood 5'4" caused feelings in her body that befuddled her. She could still feel the others lips on her face and it was all she could do not to raise her hand to that location. So distracted was she that she didn't hear a branch break to her right. Nor did she hear the muffled thump from the man behind her as he fell to the ground from a blow to the head. It was just luck that the man running point just happened to look behind him that he saw someone attempting to sneak up behind the two women he was escorting. His movement caught her attention as he turned toward them bringing his weapon to bear. The modified M4 was pointing right at her when the cloud of euphoria lifted from her brain. She saw his lips move and barely heard the start of the words when she grabbed Yessana and threw her away from the nearby foliage throwing her own body on top of her. She heard the shots from several automatic weapons ring forth as she rolled from atop Yessana's body pulling her side arm in the process. It looked like a 9mm, just like the point-man's weapon looked like an M4, but in actuality was a needle gun. It even had a device that mimicked the noise a stock 9mm would make. All the weapons Derrick's group carried acted in a similar fashion. That way no one knew that their weapons were any different than their own. They were even DNA coded so that if someone other than the encoded user picked it up it'd jam each time the trigger was pulled.

She finally fell to her back and brought the weapon to bare and took aim at the first hostile she lay eyes on. Four fell to her quick shooting and almost a dozen fell to her guards firing before someone managed to lob a fragmentation grenade in their direction. Seeing it coming she quickly fired into it showing tremendous skill causing it to explode in mid air. She jumped to her feet and was off toward the tree line while scanning for her escort. One was down but seemed to be breathing. The other was bleeding and trying to stay on his feet. Several bullet holes marred his body but thanks to the new body armor the only serious damage he'd sustained was to his left leg and arm. They must have shot at him from the coverage of the forest while he was facing the gunmen that were trying sneaking up on them.

Jennifer was bringing her line of sight back to the tree line when three grenades came flying out of the leafy canopy. She shot them all down before they were even a threat but didn't notice the last one that was tossed at a lower angle than the others tumbling along the ground until it touched her foot. She looked down and in a split second was running in the other direction. If it wasn't for her enhanced speed Jennifer would've surely been dead. The explosion sent shrapnel into her armored back which was spared but the muscles in her legs were torn to shreds. The force knocked her to the ground and the impact of her landing jostled her weapon from her grasp. It landed a few feet before her. Her vision cleared enough to see where it had landed and she started crawling for it. Just before she had it in hand it was kicked away by a black boot. That same foot lifted her shoulder harshly, causing her to roll over to her back. The last thing she saw was the masked face of her assailant as the butt of his rifle made contact with her face.

Same time, city center

"How are things going?" Mike had just entered the labs to see a small group of people huddled around a holographic projection. He noticed immediately that Christine was there along side her captain. Derrick and Angel were there also. "What are you doing?" Mike asked getting close enough to see that there were several holographic spider-bots moving around the image.

"The spiders are upgrading the sensor array. Our friend here has come up with a way to track zombies within a six miles radius," Derrick answered without looking away from the image before him. Angel leaned in and was explaining what the individual bots were doing.

"How?" Mike asked.

"Well, firstly we'll use a combination of motion detectors and thermal imaging as our passive scanning. If it moves and doesn't show up on our heat sensors then a more direct form of scanning in done in the area. The bacteria that the Valcun's introduced to change the population also shows up rather well on our sensors. Kinda like high radiation levels are detected by night vision goggles."

"That's pretty smart," Mike said directing the comment to the person to whom was most likely to have come up with such an idea.

"I thought so to," Derick replied.

"So where will the new antenna be installed?"

"New, why would we build a new one?" Angel asked with a confused look.

"Because it doesn't seem like an UPGRADE that can be done while it's still active."

"It's not," she replied.

"So your backup sensors are on?" Mike asked starting to get worried.

"What backup sensors?" Angel asked wondering if Mike had went crazy.

"Angel can you get in contact with Chris?" Mike asked concern creeping into his mind.

"Yes, why?"

"Get her on speaker now," Angel looked at Derrick in confusion. His nod told her to do as she was asked.

"How can I help you?" came Chris' voice over the comm system.

"Chris, I need you in the air. The sensors are down and we have no idea what's outside these walls."

"I assure you we are safe," Angel said. "Nothing short of an armada attack could breech these walls."

"It's not the walls I'm worried about, Jennifer and Yessana are outside at the forest site." comprehension finally came to Angel's face along with all the others.

"Do as he says Chris, now?" the young man said running for the doors as they opened for his exit. Mike was on his tail in seconds with Christine following shortly behind. Derrick and Angel were bringing up the rear only because Derrick hadn't went through the enhancements yet. He said a politician didn't have any business on the battlefield. Mike figured that Angel would have him getting the injection within a week. Angel was probably keeping pace with him so he didn't feel left behind.

Mike entered an elevator trying desperately not to run into the young man that entered before him. He moved to the side just as Christine dove through the doors as they were closing. Everyone felt the pod drop quickly as it made the trip down 25 floors in just over 30 seconds. The doors opened and the trio bailed out at record speeds. They ran out the front doors and up the ramp into the ship.

"Chris, status report?"

"Captain, I have Jennifer and Yessana on sensors. They are being escorted through the forest by several dozen people. There seems to be a large force waiting within the trees. And a much larger one on the road about a quarter of a mile down the main interstate."

"I think Jake has finally decided to show himself."

"I think you're right," Mike replied. "Will we overcome them before the two groups meet up?"

"Negative Mike, they will arrive several minutes before we do."

"Chris, cloak the ship and get us as close as you can without giving away our position"

"Yes sir."

Back in the forest

"Tell me where he is?"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Jennifer said sucking on the cut that was now on her lip. Jake had started in on her just moments after putting two bullets into John Reddington's chest.

"I know you're hiding him. Where is he?" Jake said with a maniacal sneer.

"You're crazy," were the words from her mouth when a back hand delivered to her right cheek forced her to the ground.

"I'd watch your mouth if I were you," a voice said from behind her. He walked around her as she tried to sit up again. Her hands still bound behind her back made it difficult. His boot came into her limited view just before it came down on top oh her hair forcing her head back down to the ground. Once his steps led him away from her and beside Jake she tried again to sit up. It took a moment or two but she finally managed it.

"And who are you supposed to be? His new boy friend?"

"I'd watch your mouth if I were you." the man said. He walked over to the other woman taking a hand full of her hair pulling her up by it roughly. "Do you know where he is?" he said to the small woman. She responded in what Jennifer took as her native tongue. "Fucking foreigners," he said throwing her roughly to the forest floor.

"Leave her alone she doesn't even speak English," Jennifer said trying to gain control of the situation. "Look, just tell me who you're talking about Jake?"

"The fucking spaceman you bitch." the other man said while walking toward her. "Where is he? Is he still at Derrick's base?" it was then that several things clicked all at once to Jennifer. These people hadn't been anywhere near the city so they probably just happened onto them by chance. The other thing that she noticed was the supposed prone body lying on the ground had an arm that didn't know it was supposed to be dead. It was slowly moving down one of it's legs toward a boot. She saw it grasp what she assumed was a knife as it slowly hid the blade along it's forearm. The fact that John had been shot in the chest had completely escaped her notice until know. No way would rounds from a 9mm penetrate their new body armor.

"No, he left a couple of weeks after we got there. Said he had to go home."

"You're lying," the man said taking hold of her hair pulling her face roughly toward his. "Tell me where he is now." just then the man pulled a saw toothed bowie knife.

"I'm telling you he left, he gave us a cure so no one else would turn into zombies and he left." She screamed as he made a smooth cut along her arm. It didn't really hurt but she had to play along for a little longer. Her legs were almost healed from the tatters that grenade made of them. Thanks goodness they were content on letting her bleed to death. The blood and tattered cloth conviently covered the fact that her legs were healing and would be usable again shortly. Most, if not all the men perked up at the news of a cure. The fear of dying and becoming one of those things was something everyone including these sadists feared. The idea of a cure would confuse them, hopefully enough to give her time to make an escape.

"That's enough Mark. She won't be able to tell us anything if she's dead." Jake said once more pulling Mark away. He knelt down and pulled Jenn to her knees seemingly gently. "What were you saying about a cure?"

"He left a cure and a way to make more," she said panting acting as if she were trying to catch her breath. "It stops you from turning even if you are bitten or die. And any kids you have from then on are immune too."

"She's lying," Mark said.

"Shut up you fool," Jake said over his shoulder. "What else did he leave?" Jake asked turning back to Jennifer with an evil grin.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.