Genius - Cover

Genius

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 8: The Chase

The car that was waiting for us was automated and had been pre-programmed to drive us to ''The Meeting Place''. Genius, Margaret and I agreed that we'd be better off running! I did try to urge it on, but was surprised to hear it say, "I'm sorry sir, but I can only obey the speed limit." It said

I sighed; I didn't like back-seat drivers either. "I do know that, but a friend of mine is in danger and we need to get to her as quickly as possible." I said.

There was a second of silence and then the car replied, "I see sir, that would make this an emergency situation wouldn't it?" It asked. I agreed that this was the case and then from my wrist Al spoke.

"Let me deal with this, boss." Al said and then there began a jabber of noise between Al and the car, this was followed by a brief pause.

"I see ... clearing with route control, cross referencing with police section ... Please ensure that all seat belts are firmly fitted ... Increasing speed." The car said as we began to speed up, Genius and I were pressed back into our seats and Margaret was almost out of the car before she was able to anchor herself.

"We are about to enter airspace." The car said and I looked at Margaret wide-eyed as the car lifted up.


We were now in the midst of police flyers, as it seemed that we had joined in a race but when we got to the landing zone there appeared to be a meeting going on. I exited the car, after thanking it first, and joined the Captain there.

"I might have guessed you'd be near. Now what can you tell me about this?" he said and brushed his hand near the entrance, there was a loud buzzing noise and the air seemed to shimmer.

I closed my eyes and to my amazement I could 'see' a wall in front of me. "It's a construct of some sort, a wall of solid air, to stop you from getting in." I told him without opening my eyes. I followed the 'wall' around until I found what I was looking for ... a hole! It was how the air was getting into the area and was the only weak place in the wall.

Now to open the wall I needed an auger to make the hole bigger, but it couldn't be a real one since that wouldn't work on this. I concentrated on the thing I needed. It had to expand as it drilled, such an auger didn't really exist but I needed it, and then I saw what I wanted in my mind ... felt it ... turned it ... pushed it into the hole and began turning, turning, turning. The bit grew with each twist, expanding the hole wider, until the wall began to crack. The cracks spread out, growing ever larger, and then the wall tumbled down.

I staggered into 'The Meeting Place' and then was stuck down from behind.


So as we were attacked I was struck from behind by an unseen hand! I think the armour was deployed, which stopped any further assaults on my person, but it still took me a few moments to recover. Someone was tugging on Twilight's pommel, which was held fast in the armour's hand.

"My Lord, release you hold. I need to use your blade on my enemies!" Gerald was saying as he pulled away at my unyielding hand.

I tried to release it, but for some reason the armour refused to do so. "Negative — Assailant not yet identified, but has to be someone within our group. Sensors tracked no unknown persons in immediate range." It told me.

I shook my head in the helm and it seemed to clear, my legs were tied to a tree. I looked around and saw the police were on the ground, their legs and arms bound. In the clearing I could see the dark wizard. He was smiling at me as he held Brenda in his grip, and Brother Pieter was slumped at his feet.

I could see Genius fighting two black wolves, I couldn't see Margaret anywhere, but Gerald was the only one of us still standing. Again I tried to release Twilight, so that Gerald could use it to save Brenda, but I couldn't open my hand.

Gerald gave up trying to release my blade and he shook his head. I tried to concentrate, to say a spell, but I was too dazed. "Get Brenda, save her from that mage!" I told him, but his face started to change into a smile.

"But why should I Sir John? He's only obeying the orders of his master, just as I am!" He said his face twisted.

"But you're with Lord Gregor? Why is he doing this?" I asked.

Gerald laughed, "Lord Gregor! Lord Gregor! I killed him while we were out hunting. He couldn't believe that I would do that to him ... the bastard thought I actually worshiped him! Every little fault he did I paid for! Many a time he deliberately got me punished for his amusement, so when Brak Distar asked for my help I was only too happy to give it!" He said with a smile upon his face.

I was recovered enough to bring Twilight down to cut the bonds that held my legs. Gerald moved over to where the dark mage was struggling with Brenda, and as Gerald took her in his hands he spoke to the dark mage. "The orb fool, pass me the ORB!"

The Dark Mage handed a large stone over and I knew he would be using it for some reason that boded no good for Brenda. I concentrated and cried out "Obvistatus!" seeing the dark bolt rush toward the stone.

"Travelatus!" Gerald said and the stone began to shine, just as the bolt struck. Gerald cried out in pain as his body struck a portal, activating it. I went toward them, but the pair of them vanished in a bright light!

The Dark mage was struck by the back-rush of the spell and collapsed. The bonds that held the police down vanished, and the two dark wolves gave a howl and then they too disappeared. I went to where Genius was lying on the ground, bleeding from the open wounds in her body. She kept shaking and trying to get up, but was too weak. Her wounds were not healing and she was dying!

I couldn't let her pass on, not after all we had done! "Revitar!" I said out loud feeling the power running from my hands into her body, but was it enough? The last thing I heard was Genius gasping for breath and then I fainted.


I came to in a room; from the lighting I guessed it was a hospital room. "Great ... just great ... I don't think my insurance is up to date." I said half to myself.

"That doesn't matter, Sir. The state is paying for your treatment. I'm glad you're awake and I'll contact the doctor in charge." A voice said from my pillow

"I'm sorry who ... what are you?" I asked.

"I'm an automated Medical Resting facility. I'm here to monitor your general health, your vital signs, and to alert the main staff if and when there are problems." Now my bed was speaking to me...

"Well, I need the toilet. How do I get up?" I asked.

"I'm fully functional in that respect, I'm made to work with the incontinent." The bed said, sounding slightly annoyed that I wouldn't trust it to work, and then I remembered! GENIUS! What had happened to her?

The door opened and a man in a white coat entered, but he looked just like the clerk from the hotel. "You're an android!" I said.

He frowned and asked "Now why would you think that? What possible sense do you have to detect that?"

Now I was worried, had I made a mistake? ... No, I hadn't. "I've met another of your series at the hotel. He was a Mark 50 also." I said

The man smiled, "Ah yes, the general purpose droid. I'm a specialty droid, they call me Marcus." He said.

I groaned, "Oh no, not Marcus Welby by any chance?" I asked thinking of an old television programme.

He frowned, "No, just Marcus. Now, how are you feeling?" He asked.

I dodged the normal answer, with my hands, and settled for "I feel fine, but I need to know about my companions." I said.

He paused for a second before answering, "The Cleric is well, he performed a chant and his body seemed to heal without our intervention. Your wife, however, is dead." He said looking at me.

I nodded, "Yes, she been dead for several years ... but how is she?" I asked.

"I'm here John." Margaret said comfortingly.

"I'm afraid I couldn't let her see you until I was sure you were fully compos mentis." Marcus said as he consulted a clipboard.

"Well, my mind is as competent as always. How is Genius?" I asked "She was unconscious after the attack."

"The droid is functioning, although her programming is strange and she refuses to be looked after in the droid facility. Just what have you told her she is?" He said looking at me.

"I didn't tell her anything, this is part of her functioning. She is assigned as a bodyguard to the girl who was taken through the portal. I would think she wants to follow her!" I said.

"That would explain why she broke through the restraints, and why the other droids seem to think of her as a leader. The police are getting worried that it's a revolt amongst the droids, as they are helping her." Marcus said.

I turned to Margaret, "Go to Genius, tell her I'll be there as soon as I get out of here." Margaret didn't argue but went straight through the wall, and then I returned my attention to Marcus. "Is there any reason why I can't leave now?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "Not at all. We'll need your signature to say you left of your own accord, and then you can go." He said as a dispenser on the wall began spewing out papers.

I nodded, "Good, just one more thing Doctor."

"Yes Mr. Atkins?"

"Can you please tell this bed to release me so I can find a toilet?" I said feeling a certain pressure.


I left the hospital, fully dressed and relieved, Brother Pieter was with me as I hailed a taxi but a car pulled up instead. "You're still assigned to me, Sir." It said.

I got in and put the seat belt on. Brother Pieter sat beside me and did the same, watching what I did to copy me. "I don't understand. Why did Gerald do that?" He asked.

I shook my head, "Resentment, anger, always being the butt of some abuse. Some people they get over it and rise above it, others let it fester until it burst out. I think Brak Distar offered Gerald something that he couldn't have had otherwise." I said

Brother Pieter frowned, "But what would that be?" He asked.

"An opportunity for revenge..." I replied and left it at that.


When we arrived at the droid facility we found the police surrounding the building with a mixture of droids outside stopping their entry. "We are the police! You droids will deactivate and allow us to enter!" One man was saying over a bullhorn.

"Entry to this area would be trespassing on another world's jurisdiction, you will not be allowed in!" A droid said, his voice being amplified by all those outside.

"You have a droid there controlling you all. You will surrender it to our justice!" The officer replied, but I could see that nothing like that was going to happen.

I got out of the car, with Brother Pieter behind me, and approached the cordon of police. Because I was entering the list, not trying to leave, they didn't notice me at first. "Hold on there, citizen. This is a police action; please go to behind the line." One said pointing back.

I ignored him and carried on, so another policeman tried to grab hold of my back. Al deployed causing the officer's grip to fail. "CRS Suit deactivate!" an officer said but Al ignored him. I turned to face the officer.

"My name is John. I'm here to sort out this problem, and to ensure that my charge is ready to leave." I said and continued toward the entrance of the repair facility.

"I'm sorry citizen, but you can't enter there." The officer with the bullhorn said to me.

I sighed, "I'm not a citizen of this world. The droid you're worried about is under my care and we are about to leave this world. If you'll excuse me I'll go and collect her." I said and carried on walking.

He couldn't stop me but he put his hand onto Brother Pieter. "I'm with him!" Pieter said and pulled away from him. The officer gripped harder but then Pieter said something which made the man release his hold. As he came up to me I asked him what he'd said. "I just told him that a stink snake had vomited on my clothes and he just let go!" he said, which made me laugh

Brother Pieter frowned "What's so funny about that? It took me three days to remove the smell!" he said.

As we approached a droid that I hadn't seen before held up his hand, "Please stop. This area is technically part of the Droid Federation, and is therefore not of this world." He said standing defensively.

I held up my hand and Al went into standby mode. "My name is John, and I've come to take Genius with me to find Brenda." I said simply.

He smiled "We have been expecting you. The spirit arrived to say you would be on your way. Please enter." he said, moving to one side. As I went in I felt a slight tingling on my skin. The police, seeing my entry, began to charge in only to bounce backward as a force field repelled them. "You were warned, now please leave this area!" The guard said to them.


The reception area was austere but elegant, in a minimalistic way. A woman - female formed droid I should say but won't - looked up and smiled. "Lord John and Brother Pieter, welcome to the reception area. Your wife has already warned us about how to treat your charge, so she is ready to leave with you. May I say it's been a privilege to have met an old-one personally and not just in programmed memories."

I could see the Brother Pieter was puzzled by what was said and I turned to him, "It's because Genius is the daughter of Bran o'the forest, the people here treat her as a goddess." He was still puzzled so I took a different tack. "How would you feel if the Great One appeared to you, which is how they see Genius." I clarified.

His face cleared but then he frowned. "But why wouldst they..." he asked.

I just shrugged my shoulders, "Who can say what others feel? Let them believe as they will and we will have the minimum of strife." I told him, not wanting to start a religious war over this.

"Assuredly Lord John, this world is fully strange to me. I wouldst not want to flash them anyway." he said. I wasn't sure what he meant, but I took it to be okay.

We were directed to a room where yet another Mark 50 was talking to both Genius and Margaret. "I'm sorry that our protection of you has caused this small problem, but there is no need for you to concern yourself over it. The police do not seem aware that they have no access to this place." He was saying.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.