Freeze Frame
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2008 by EMW

I thought I had died. Everything was still and light was all around me. I remembered hearing tell of the tunnels of white light, the feeling of euphoria often reported by people near death. I had always though of it as the brain dying, its last ditch effort to live as its body gave out. The white light tunnel, the visual cortex failing.

I had to say floating in this pure light was pretty boring. I couldn't feel my body, nor move. If this was the afterlife I would go mad pretty soon. Maybe it was one of those lucid dream type things where you could change the world by will. I tried conjuring up Caitlyn, but nothing happened. I wondered if maybe she had survived, or perhaps she was in some other afterlife. So I tried conjuring up chocolate cake instead, but that didn't work either. This was going to be a really rubbish afterlife if there was no Caitlyn or chocolate cake. Just when I was beginning to wonder if my atheist ways had doomed me, I began to make out shapes in the light.

"They're coming around!" said Nat's voice said out of the light.

Slowly the light faded and I began to be able to feel and move again. I saw I was lying on a bed somewhere, then as my body gradually recovered, I felt my arms wrapped tightly around someone. I looked down to see Caitlyn looking back up at me.

"What happened?" asked Caitlyn sleepily.

"You two fell four stories onto a police car," said Nat. "I thought you were goners, but at the last moment little miss stasis froze the two of you. It made a hell of a mess of the car. It's a complete write off. I have the pictures for when you are feeling better."

"What happened with Mark?" I asked.

"They locked him up, and hopefully threw away the key. He's up for murder, assault, kidnapping, and various other crimes. He hopefully will never see the light of day again. After his little escape and murder attempt, one of the cops hit him with a stun baton. It's hard to focus on moving things with your mind when several thousand volts is coursing through your body making every muscle convulse," said Nat with a smile.

I yawned, feeling very tired, "Man I'm tired. I could use some sleep."

Caitlyn nodded in agreement, "What time is it?"

"Sleep!?" asked Nat with a grin, "You two have been lying there for the past two days."

"What!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, you drained a load of power when you fell, and the doc said you some how focused it around the two of you. As a result, you have been statues for over two days. Today is Tuesday,"

"Hmmf," said Caitlyn. "In that case I don't have lectures today. Pull the blinds to and don't bother me till tomorrow." She then snuggled against me, pulling the covers over us.

She went to sleep nearly immediately, and much to Nat's amusement, I as I began dozing off as well.

The last thing I remember was, "Well, I'll come pick you up tomorrow then. The doctors wanted to keep the two of you for observation, anyway, I don't think they meant in the same bed but I'm sure they'll get over it."

"Thanks Nat, you're the best," I said sleepily.

"Sweet dreams, kiddo," she said and skipped out the door with the nurse.

I looked down at Caitlyn curled up on top of me and pulled her closer, thinking to myself,

''Yeah I think they will be sweet dreams.'

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.