Salamander 2 - Cover

Salamander 2

Copyright© 2008 by EMW

Chapter 24

(Mandy)

French was as good as could be expected, I was less of a distraction than previous lessons. My return was already old news with probably a host of additional rumours, by lunch time I was sure I would hear that I had returned from the dead or something similar. Next came Maths, I took my seat at the back and waited for the lesson to start. I saw Alice turn and look at me a few times then stand up and come back towards me. I tensed reading myself for an attack, but what she said surprised me.

"I heard you were badly beaten up. So bad you ended up in hospital," she said.

"Yes," I said carefully, "I heal quickly though so most of the damage to my internal organs healed up over night."

Alice shifted uncomfortably, "I may not like MORFS survivors, I feel they have unfair advantages, as well as being dangerous. My anger at their unearned status in society sometimes makes me mean to people like you, but that doesn't mean I want to see you or anyone else hurt like that. I'm glad you are OK," she said, I smiled at her and her scowl returned, "This doesn't mean I like you."

I wasn't sure what to say, so I just nodded in understanding. Alice seemed to find that response acceptable as she returned my nod and walked back to her seat. I sat staring at her in a daze for a bit, it hadn't occurred to me that there would be shades of the anti-MORFS movement that weren't the violent hate mongers I had grown to loath and fear.

Mr Griffiths came storming in to start the lesson which shook me out of my thoughtful day dreaming. Maths was as tough as ever and as usual it was hard to keep up. Though it wasn't getting any easier I was less shocked by the pace of things now and could plan better. This allowed me some time to get a handle on things, rather than be perpetually scrambling to catch up.

After a mentally fatiguing lesson I was ready for lunch, but Mr Griffiths stopped me.

"Wait a moment Amanda I'd like to speak to you," he said.

I packed up my things then waited for the rest of the class to leave. When they were gone Mr Griffiths turned to me and said.

"This won't take long Amanda, I'm sure you want to be off for lunch. I meant to have a word this morning but I was very busy. Anyway I just wanted to make it clear to you that if you have any other troubles with people bullying you don't be afraid to come and see me. I find it very distasteful what happened to you and I don't want to see those who perpetrated it that we didn't catch try again. While I may not look like it I too am a MORFS survivor though things were quite different in my day and I understand some of what you and the others go through every day. Having suffered from that sort of thing myself in various guises I won't have others subjected to it. So if you have any problems please let me know," he said with an uncharacteristic smile.

I smiled back, "Thank you sir," I said.

"Well, run along now I'm sure you want to get off to see your friends," he said.

I gave him another smile and was on my way. It seemed under his gruff unforgiving exterior lurked a friendly and quite emotional person. I wondered if the exterior shell was something he had built up due to some aspect of him having gone through MORFS. I wandered lost in these thoughts till my stomach growled warning me it was not interested in anything but me getting it some lunch so I quickened my pace.

I was just on my way to meet D and Jane when I found myself blocked by Trisha's gang.

'Oh No!' I thought 'I've only just got back from one beating I don't want to get another one'

"Back again I see," came Trisha's haughty voice from the back, her girls parted to reveal her standing arms crossed glaring at me, "Too bad for you that you weren't more badly injured. You'd escape your fate a bit longer."

Her gang all chuckled and stared at me menacingly angry nasty feelings burning in each of them Trisha worst of all.

"Oh leave her alone T," came a voice from behind her, and a large Green hand grabbed her shoulder moving her gently out of the way. It was the large green skinned boy that D had called Winston who seemed to be the leader of the larger group of MORFS kids Jane had called the power freaks. Behind him were most of the other obvious MORFS survivors I had seen before. Almost all of them were regarding me with interest rather than pretending I was invisible ... even when I wasn't.

A burst of intense annoyance spiked from Trisha but she did nothing. Whatever Winston's power was she didn't seem to have any hold over him and had to defer. Something that I'm sure would wind her up no end.

"Hi, I'm Winston. We may have got off on the wrong foot thinking you were trying to spurn those like you but the way you took down Stacy and took the beating she gave you, makes me think we were too hasty," he said smiling down at me. "What's your name?"

"Amanda," I said.

"Well Mandy, do you mind if I call you Mandy," he said but without pausing to hear my answer he carried on, "We are individuals gifted with powers beyond the dreams of the mere insect mundanes that fill this school. You have proven yourself a very resourceful and powerful person; I think you are worthy to join us."

I looked at him wondering how to handle this, I wished my friends were here. I found this green boy very intimidating, his aura of arrogance permeated everything around him. If only I could have hidden behind D rather than be the object of his attentions, I suspected anyone that didn't do what he wanted was in for a taste of his anger, "Well that's a very nice offer," I said carefully, "But I'm not really interested at the moment."

His eyebrows raised and I sensed a tiny hint of annoyance stir in him, "This is not an offer I would make to just anyone, you should be honoured and humbled by it," he said.

"Oh I am, I am," I said quickly trying to think of a way out that would let me leave in one piece, "It's just what with everything that's been happening, my joining a new school only few weeks ago, and only having returned from hospital recently, I'm a bit disorientated. I need some time to get myself together again after the business with Stacy."

He softened a bit and he began nodding, "Yes yes, quite right I understand. I often forget that not everyone is as tough and unaffected by things as me. Take all the time you need and when you're ready we'll welcome you into the fold. Trust me it will be the best decision you'll ever make."

I smiled and said, "Well it was nice talking to you, I need to be off, I'm meeting D for lunch."

"Right see you later," he said and began moving off the rest of his gang following giving me nods and smiles as they passed. One very tall girl, who had to be nearly as tall as D though much thinner, almost emaciated, even gave me a friendly pat on the head.

The only one who didn't move was Trisha. When Winston reached a corner he looked back and said, "Come along T," making a gesture for Trisha to follow him. Another spike of annoyance flared in the small red eyed girl and she glared at me boiling with hate but she followed him, her gang tagging along.

Once they were out of sight I let out a sigh of relief then dashed off to find D and Jane. They were waiting for me outside the canteen.

"What kept you? We were starting to get worried," said Jane tapping her watch.

"Sorry guys, that boy Winston tried to recruit me," I said.

"What!" said D.

"Yeah that lot, well bar Trisha, seemed to have had a change of heart about me and wanted me to join their little club," I said.

"Bleah!" said Jane, "I trust you told them where to stick it!"

"Yeah, though I was more diplomatic than that," I said.

"That's my girl," said Jane hugging me with a great big smile on her face, "Now let's get some lunch I'm famished."

We joined the queue and got our lunches and sat down to eat. I was as hungry as always and wolfed down my lunch even got some seconds much to Jane's derision.

"So you didn't want to join Winston's gang," said D.

"No, they seem just as bad as Stacy," I replied.

"Well, being part of his gang would mean the end of your Trisha problems plus most of the anti-MORFS lot wouldn't touch you, they have this whole cold war thing going on," D said.

"Well, while that might make life easier, I prefer being with my real friends. Not used as some sort of chip in this fight just because I managed to stop Stacy getting away with it again."

Jane turned to me and said, "That's good to know. I had a couple of friends that joined either camp when offered the chance and once they were in the gangs they wouldn't even talk to me anymore. I'm glad you're content to stay with us."

"Are you kidding, you two are the best friends anyone could wish for. Why would I ever want to abandon you. I'm afraid you're stuck with me for good," I said smiling.

Jane and D both gave me a half hug on either side, this little hug fest was interrupted by someone calling out to me, "Tish!"

We broke off our hug and I looked out for who was calling me. Two young enthusiastic girls crashed down in the seats opposite us.

"Hi Kitty, Hi Clare," I said.

"Hi Tish," said Kitty.

"Hi Tish," said Clare giggling.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.