Salamander 2 - Cover

Salamander 2

Copyright© 2008 by EMW

Chapter 18

(Mandy)

It was time to start on dinner, the pie would take me about an hour to cook. I got all the ingredients I would need ready to go and began preparing them. First I set the oven so it would be hot when I needed it. Next I had to wash and peel some potatoes, Joyce had shown me how to do this the other day so I was soon off and running. I decided to get all the chopping done there and then, to save time later, so I did the onions and the carrots too. Pretty soon I had a pot of quartered potatoes bubbling away in some salted water. I moved on to the next bit and began sautéing the chopped onions and carrots.

I realised that without even thinking about it I had lit the gas hob by directing flames from my burning finger tip. I guess all the practice I had got was paying off, I could use my powers without really even thinking about it, they were becoming an extension of my normal abilities.

I did the onions and carrots for the time listed in the recipe, there was already a wonderful smell of cooking circulating around the flat. When that was done I put in some sweet corn and then mixed in the lamb and cooked it till the meat was browned. I tipped in some seasoning, a bit of salt, a pinch or two of pepper, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce to give it a little kick. I was careful not to add too much, I didn't want to overdo the seasoning. I added the gravy and let it simmer for the rest of the time, adding more to keep the meat moist. There was a lovely rich meaty aroma rising out of the pan it was making my mouth water and stomach growl already. As was appropriate I had a few tastings to make sure it was good, I probably had several more than were strictly necessary but it tasted so good I could barely help myself.

Soon the time for the meat and the potatoes was up I turned off the gas and lifted the potatoes and the pan with the meat. I needed to get the strainer to drain the potatoes, but I found I had run out of hands, plus the small kitchen lacked the surfaces to put hot stuff down on. I could have put the pans back on the hob, but I was a little concerned that the residual heat would burn the meat. I was a bit in a hurry so I used a trick that most chefs would probably frown on. After taking careful aim I shot my tongue out and retrieved the strainer with it. I propped the thing up in the sink with a bit of prodding, then tipped out the potatoes in. With the potatoes now drained I could dispense with the pot, so put it back on the hob to wash later. I got a spoon and began putting the meat into the baking dish.

With that out the way I got the potatoes and mashed them up with the a little butter. Once they were nice and smooth I applied them as the top layer to the baking dish with the meat in. I made the trade mark peaks in the mash like the recipe said. As a last minute finishing touch I wrote my name into the mash with a fork giggling at my handy work then put the whole thing in the oven to cook. I put some peas on to have as an accompaniment.

After that I began cleaning up. Just as I was running the water to do the washing up the front door opened and my sister walked in.

"Something smells good," she said with a smile after taking her coat off.

"I made us dinner," I said, "I was a little tired of spaghetti every night so I used the book Joyce gave me to do Shepherd's pie for dinner."

"Wow, you have been busy," she said surveying the distributed cooking utensils. "Let me help you clean up."

I gestured to the dishes, "I'll wash you dry."

We soon had the kitchen squared away and it was almost time for us to eat. I opened the oven and reached in to take the dish out with my bare hands.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.