Salamander 2 - Cover

Salamander 2

Copyright© 2008 by EMW

Chapter 35

Tuesday 11th to Wednesday 12th, of December, 2035


(Mandy)

When we got home I wanted to phone Jane to tell her what had happened but it was quite late and Gwen insisted I rest. I was very tired both from the emotional strain of the day but also the amount of energy I had used in my fire-storm.

I still didn't sleep well I had many nightmares about D. In some she died due to the gang, in others I caused her death by fire and her ghost berated me for my carelessness. Sometimes it was me that was dying and D that was attacking me with Stacy and Trisha at her side. Every time I had one of these bad dreams I would wake in a cold sweat. Eventually I padded over to Gwen's room and crawled into bed with her. I didn't want to be alone. Gwen wrapped her arms around me and held me till I fell asleep. I slept without dreams till the morning.

When I woke I got up and started to get ready for school. I was mostly on autopilot.

"Mandy sweetie, you don't need to go to school today," Gwen said.

"I want to, I want to tell Jane and our other friends what happened. Besides if I just stay here all day I'll just sit here thinking about D and I need the distraction," I replied.

Gwen looked at me considering for a bit probably weighing up whether I was putting on a brave face, "Alright though I'm going to walk you to school. If it gets too much then I want you to come straight home, I'll tell the school that. After you finish school we can go and see Dorothy at the hospital."

"I have work today."

"Alright, but I'm going to meet you after school walk you over to work and then meet you there when you finish. We can go over and see Dorothy then."

I nodded meekly and got on with getting ready.

The walk into school was quiet affair I clung to my sister for support but didn't say anything. I was dreading having to tell Jane what had happened. As it turned out I needn't have worried, I saw her at the gate her eyes puffy and red her just barely fighting back the tears. When she saw me it was too much and we both burst into tears. She ran to me and grabbed me in a hug sobbing into my shoulder as I sobbed into hers.

"It's just horrible, D's mum phoned my parents told them what happened," she sobbed, "Those purist bastards I hope they rot in jail."

We hugged for a while then made our way into the school Gwen at our side. We reached the office building, and Gwen turned to me and said, "You're sure?"

I nodded certain now I was with Jane that this was the right decision.

"OK then I'm going to go in and talk to the head teacher. Remember if you want to go home at any point just say. I'll see you at four, have a nice day sweetheart," Gwen gave me a kiss on the forehead and a radiant smile before leaving us to make our own way to our class room.

"Your sister is ace!" said Jane, to which I nodded, "My parents offered to let me stay at home but I knew you'd be here and I wanted to be here with you."

I hugged her feeling reassured and better just by being with my friend who was sharing the same feelings of fear and loss. They say a pain shared is pain halved and it seemed to be working that way.

On the way up to the classroom we once again ran into Winston and his gang, given the insights D had given me I wondered if he purposefully staked out our normal route in the hopes of seeing me. Though this thought of D brought fresh tears to my eyes.

"Good morning," Winston said then noticed our tears, "Why so sad? What has happened to make a pretty lady look so down?"

Now D had pointed it out it was fairly obvious that he was coming on to me still I ignored it.

"It's D she's in the hospital," I sobbed, "She was attacked last night as we made our way home from the club."

There were gasps and anger from the group. They looked on D as one of their own who just liked the misfits, a sort of lapsed Super. Even thought that was far from the truth they were protective of what they saw as their own.

"One of them had some sort of gun, he shot her. She's in intensive care they don't know if she'll survive or not," I said between sobs.

I got a flash of emotion from Winston, his usual mask of arrogance pulled away enough for some of his real feelings to seep out. He was angry, very angry, but there was also something more he was afraid for D. They had been close once as D had said and he still had a soft spot for her. To hear of her in pain possibly dying brought out some feelings of regret and fear. It made him seems suddenly much more human. He looked up and there was pain in his eyes.

He quite suddenly reached out and wrapped me up in a hug, it was a bit of a shock to be embraced by him, but I did need to be held and it felt good to relax in his arms for a little while.

He broke the hug and held me by the shoulders, "Whoever did this will get punished and D will make it! She's tough as old boots," he paused and reached up wiping away a tear from my cheek. "Don't you worry, everything is going to be fine."

Then he stepped away striding off with purpose. I guess he was going to find out who attacked D and kill them or something. I knew better than to try and stop them but I didn't say anything that would give him any clues. Still his list would probably start with the guy who did it anyway so I guess that wasn't much help. But if Andrew Flint hadn't been picked up by the police already I couldn't say I'd care too much if Winston found him and broke him into little pieces.

All the gang gave the two of us standing there a sign of support be it a squeeze or pat on the shoulder or just a nod. Even my new enemy Andi gave me a nod, I guess when it came to MORFS kids hurt by purists I was on her side.

"Even now it's like I'm not here," said Jane a touch angry, "Why don't I get a hug from Winston." She grinned lecherously and I did my best to smile back but my heart wasn't really in it.

Jane and I continued on to our class room and made our way to our usual table without D here there was much more room for the two of us. Her very obvious absence set the two of us blubbering again. As the room filled up this of course lead to questions, either to us or whispered around us.

Eventually our teacher showed up and any chattering was quietened.

He looked tired today and felt more than a little sad. He looked over at me and Jane and gave us both a sympathetic look.

"Class, I have some unpleasant news. Dorothy Newman was attacked last night and badly injured. She is in the hospital in a serious but stable condition. I know we all wish her well and if you want to send get well soon cards I will see that she gets them," he then took the register he didn't read D's name out. He made a very brief pause where her name usually came and then moved on. It set me and Jane off again.

We struggled through the morning gradually it seemed to get easier, maybe it was being distracted by work. Still we had moments where it got overwhelming.

At break we retreated to the calm of the library. Kitty and Clare met us there and we tearfully relayed the bad news. The little tykes were quite upset by this they had grown quite fond of D after their initial fear of her. They comforted me and Jane and then began working on a get well soon card for us to give to D. They ran off to petition Miss Gordon for some materials and came running back with swathes of coloured sugar paper off cuts to make their cards from. The two of them worked long and hard with scissors and glue making a very elaborate folding card for D. Kitty made a wonderful paper representation of D to go on the cover. When they were done we congratulated the two of them on their efforts and I carefully placed their card in one of my books to keep it flat and uncrumpled promising to deliver it to D when I saw her later.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.