The Strongest Of Souls - Cover

The Strongest Of Souls

Copyright© 2008 by GoddessAine

Chapter 9

The fire ring surrounding Devon had vanished, as Chadwick slowly stumbled to his son. Devon lay motionless upon the iron bar, dried tears staining his soot covered cheeks. Chadwick knelt beside his son, as he felt for a pulse. 'Thank god' he thought, as he felt life flowing through Devon's body. Chadwick heard a rumble beside where he knelt. Fearing the worse, and too weak to defend his son, he moved to cover Devon from whatever it was. Only, he found that sticking out of the ground was his sword with the pendant dangling from the handle.

He reached for the sword pulling it from the ground, the pendant dropping form the handle. Carefully he cut the bonds that held Devon to the bar. He pulled Devon close and held him tightly in his arms. Devon stirred and opened his green eyes, and said "I knew you'd come" Chadwick, with a sad smile responded "Of course I'd come, you the most important thing in my life." Devon just smiled and after a moment, slowly stood. He picked up the pendant, and handed it to his father. "Yours?" he asked. Chadwick nodded as he took the pendant in his hand. It seemed to give him strength. He too, stood up. Chadwick spoke to Devon, "we need to hurry." Leaning upon the hilt of his sword for support, they made their way to the pile of boulders.

Devon was first to around the boulders. He saw a trail of blood leading toward the far end of the boulder pile. Devon looked at his father. He saw the concerned look in his eyes. Steadily they walked around the boulders when they saw Alana leaning against the hard stone rocks. They knelt down to check on her. She was barely conscious. Her bandages were now colored in crimson, "We have to get her out of here", Chadwick spoke. Devon only nodded in agreement.

After a few moments, Alana had regained consciousness and was now stumbling on her own. After what seemed like an eternity, Chadwick finally saw the ladder that disappeared into the sky. They arrived as the base of it.

Slowly they ascended step, by step until they were pulling themselves onto the floor of the Avendelin's lab. Devon first, Alana, then Chadwick. Standing up Chadwick helped Alana to her feet. There was a large rumble, that shook the very ground they stood on. His strength regaining, Chadwick, stumbled a little faster, knowing that they had to get out of the castle. He held onto Alana, who was dragging her feet. They hurried through the tiny corridor and into the massive room, which had hints of silver dust still lingering in the air.

Alana stumbled, barely catching herself upon a piece of stone protruding out of the wall. Chadwick and Devon stopped when they saw her stumble. Chadwick caught a glimpse of her face. She was pale, 'so pale' he thought. Fear raced through his veins. Only once had he seen someone that pale. A vision passed through his mind. It was a vision of his wife Helena. He remembered her pale body lying in her deathbed. He ran to her. He held her close lifting her cold face, to his. His eyes were seeking hers. What he saw in those eyes was emptiness. With all his strength, he knelt and lifted her in his arms. In haste he carried her out of the large wooden door leading out of the castle.

Devon stood outside the castle wall. "Hurry!" Devon yelled. Just then the ground began to tremble. Chadwick reached the outer wall when he heard a loud thunderclap. He turned to look as the stones of the castle began to collapse. Frantically he looked around for a place to lay Alana. He saw a large, dead tree in the distance, and carried her there. He laid her near the tree. He spoke quietly, "Alana? Can you hear me?" He stroked her cheek with his hand. It felt icy to his touch. "No", he spoke. "No. No. No!"

He reached and pulled her lifeless body closer. "I'm so sorry. I didn't protect you." A sob from behind him brought Chadwick back to that moment. He turned his head and saw Devon had been crying. He leaned Alana's body back up against the tree, and touched her cheek one more time. Slowly he stood and went to his son. Chadwick spoke "Shh." Since the death of his mother, Devon had looked to Alana as a mother figure. Tears were stinging both of their eyes as Chadwick hugged his young son. Silence filled the air around them, until they heard a faint creak.

They quieted and listened. It was coming from tree. The noise grew louder when suddenly thin roots pushed through the earth at the base of the seemingly dead tree and started to wrap around Alana's legs. Awestruck, they both watched, unable to move. In the matter of seconds the roots had completely covered Alana's body. They stood in shock, when suddenly the roots enlarged, pulsed and then retreated back into the ground.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.