The Strongest Of Souls - Cover

The Strongest Of Souls

Copyright© 2008 by GoddessAine

Chapter 2

After discovering Devon's gift, he started taking lessons from the Kingdom's Sorceress, learning how to develop and master his skills at a young age. Here he was, so many years later, Devon had mastered those skills. As a symbol of his mastery, a gift of a leather and gem bound bracelet, made by the Sorceress herself was presented to Devon during a small ritual.

Here began Devon's journey, from a child to a young adult and perhaps to the crown. It wasn't a secret that the current King had been looking at Devon to take his place on the pedestal. As stated in the Royal Decree; "at anytime the King could step down from his place of honor and pick a successor." He then would then have an honorary place in the kingdom and the court. The King had already discussed the opportunity with Devon, Chadwick, as well as the panel of advisors, and they all were at agreement. Devon's ability would be an incredible benefit for the Kingdom, and perhaps make him the most strong and powerful King yet.

Devon himself understood what was to happen, and he was looking forward to making a positive difference for the whole kingdom. Having a King that could predict danger would save many lives, such as times of war or natural disasters.

Chadwick watched as Devon prepared for the day long sparring session, dressed in brown cloth leggings, and a yellow leather studded jerkin that accented his blonde hair and green eyes. 'Hair and eyes, just like his mother' Chadwick thought. Sadness filled his heart again. Chadwick pushed away those thoughts. This was Devon's time. Devon's celebration.

Devon fought hard and took down many opponents, some of whom were older and taller than him. The sight made Chadwick proud, for he too was a fast, swift and highly skilled warrior.

The sun started setting as they all retreated to enjoy the Solstice feast being held in the great hall of the Castle. The massive stone room was adorned with orange, green and yellow, colors of the summer, and vibrant flowers of all kinds. Upon the long heavy wooden tables, mounds of food were piled.

Wooden bowls were heaped, dangerously close to spilling contents on tables and over other food. Centered upon the main table was a roasted wild boar and roasted pheasants, all hunted just for this special occasion. Of which, Chadwick had proudly taken part of. Also for feasting were boiled potatoes, turnips, candied plums and roasted apples and pears. Both mead and cider were offered, passed and topped off in every direction.

A feast of this caliber was only offered once a year, on the Summer Solstice. It was the longest day of the year. The whole kingdom, including royals and peasants were invited. Status meant nothing on this night. It was a time when everyone would gather, mingle and rejoice. Even the Sorceress, Alana Keltzen, quietly took part in the festivities.

She sat at one corner of the long honor table, while Chadwick sat near the front of it. She was observing the goings-on around her, laughing at the Jesters and clapping for the Bards. Chadwick noticed that Alana had a constant stream of visitors, from peasants, to well off Lords and even a few Knights, all looking to earn her favor or to earn her hand.

Even the hounds had taken to sitting beside her, begging for a scratch upon the ears every now and then. While they took turns leaning on her side, drooling down the thin gown. It was the brightest shade of blue and it hung closely to her curvy figure. Occasionally she looked his way, and he was careful not to get caught staring.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.