Blood Fang - Cover

Blood Fang

Copyright© 2008 by David Caspian

Chapter 3

Paul awoke with a gasp, his senses alive. The sounds of the city came at him in a thunderous rush of racket. Cars driving by, the train in the distance was loud and clear to him. What was more his body felt hot, almost feverish. Like a living furnace he gave off heat that spread across the room, and then he felt him.

Images flashed to him as cats and dogs in the city they noticed him for the first time, and it was not as a man. Thousands of little voices spoke to one another. Some fought for territory, others hunted for food or protected their humans and property, but he could hear them all as if they were in the room with him. His eyes became distance as he focused on each voice and felt their lives, like tiny embers giving off their own heat.

A cold wet washcloth was pressed to his head and he turned to see an older woman who smiled down at him. Her hair was the color of chestnut with thin streaks of white towards the front. He could feel her age but also her power; she was a werewolf, but she was not an alpha.

"Who are you?" Paul asked trying to relax.

His body was electric and he could feel his power pushing against the inside of his skin. It wanted out, but he was still in control so it couldn't go any where. Instead it went deeper: to his muscle and bones, seeping into his very core.

Paul felt the wolf blend with him but he did not shift. It was different somehow, like the two sides of himself were becoming one.

"I'm Winter Alpha. My human name is Rachel. I am the healer among us. You are running fever. While our kind cannot become sick, it was a cause for concern. We all decided to bring you here so you could rest." She said bringing him again back to the moment.

Paul's mind had begun to drift. Now he had to focus hard not to let the power running through him take over, as it was ready to sweep him away. His blood felt like hot lava, searing his veins and arteries. There was pain, but it also felt so good. This was what he was, not just the human part but deep underneath the wolf.

Rachel had bent close without realizing it. She could smell the scent of the wolf and feel his power. Her own wolf rose to meet his from the depths of her. Closing her eyes she reveled in it.

'So pure, so powerful. I have never felt anything like this. Who are you? You shouldn't be able to do anything like this.' Rachel thought as his eyes shift to that of a wolf.

'What do you mean?' Paul thought, his mind touching hers.

Rachel gasped as he felt his mind connected with hers.

'You can hear my thoughts?' Rachel asked.

'Yes, I can. Am I supposed to be able to?' Paul said in response.

'No, not in this form. As wolves our minds are able to easily touch each other. We can even sense others of our kind up to a few miles. This is amazing!' Rachel said smiling.

Brushing the side of his face she felt not only his strength but saw his memories.

'You were born this way!' Rachel said, her eyes widening.

"Is that so unusual?" Paul asked aloud.

"It is. Such a thing is virtually unheard of. As far as most of our people are concerned it is only legend. It is generally accepted as unproven. You are a true Alpha. Do realize what that means?

According to legend your powers make you the virtual equal of the most powerful vampires if given the chance. If the local master found out about you, she would do everything in her power to control you or kill you. You would be a great threat to her." Rachel said.

Her?" Paul asked.

"Persephone Powers. She is the leader of the Vankari in this area. The Vankari are a race of vampires: highly organized and powerful. The Lady has controlled our pack for over a year now as well as anyone else who comes into her territory. Our old allies have left us and our old Alpha cowtowed to her as if he had no spine." Rachel said.

A fierce pride rose in Paul: the pride of a young Alpha who did not like bowing down to anyone. Rachel's words stoked the fires of his anger red hot to a full rage.

"And where might I find this "Lady" you speak of?" Paul asked.

"You can't seriously mean to attack her first. We need allies ... help of some kind before attempting to take her on. Blood Fang..." Rachel said trying to make him see reason. Only now did she realize the error she had just made. Paul was obviously not thinking clearly.

"Where is she?" Paul said with a snarl.

Startled Rachel backed away, and Paul followed. His eyes had changed, becoming wolfish.

Licking her lips she tried to control her fear, knowing that it only excite him. The last thing she wanted to do was become his prey. Rachel told him, not expecting him to return. The Lady's mansion lay to the Northeast, past the woods. A small winding dirt road led up hill to the top where she resided. Shifting into wolf form Paul climbed the hill. None of the guards saw his approach as he kept low to the ground as he got close to the stone walls that surrounded the building. The mansion had only one approach, and that was through a metal gate where two guards were posted. Let the change take him again Paul stopped it just before he became fully human again. In this hybrid state he was able to control what changed and how. Focusing on his fingernails, he saw them grow into claws: sharp and tough. Climbing the final few feet to the east side of the wall he used them to help him ascend. Senses trained for any sign of alarm he climbed to the top, crouching down so he would be hard to see.

Scanning the complex he noticed that the security was a bit lax. Except for the two guards at the gate no one seemed to be guarding the mansion. No doubt Persephone expected no one to get this far. Except for Paul none would have without raising an alarm. Hopping down he landed softly on the inside of the wall, and quietly made his way to the door. Keeping to the shadows he made good progress, and reached the door without incident.

Turning the knob he opened the door and stepped inside, closing it behind him. He could feel her far below. Her power called out to him like a heart beat, its rhythm steady and constant. Finding a flight of stairs at the end of a long hall he found the ground level remarkably barren of any adornments. The windows themselves were painted over, so as not to let any sunlight in. Not trusting the stairs themselves Paul tested the wall beside him, finding that his new claws allowed him to gain purchase. Clambering down, flight by flight he climbed down sideways, avoiding any noisy steps that might alarm anyone below. Once he reached the bottom he let go and land on his feet staring into the darkness barely illuminated by torches imbedded into the walls down two passageways. Persephone lay to the left, her presence even stronger as he drew close. He could already feel the other worldly energy making the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

It had been midday when he had arrived at the mansion, so he was in no rush to get to her. Taking his time he made his way to her, keeping a lookout for any more guards but finding none. Paul found a room with a single coffin upon a dais in the center. He didn't have to open it to know she was inside. Approaching he looked upon the polished old mahogonany wood he scented the air. The whiff of her perfume caught in his nostrils and he closed his eyes savoring the moment. His prey now lay before him smelling so sweet, and mouth watering. Impatient to get at her he grasped the lid, ripping it from its hinges in his haste. Metal and wood rained to the as he looked upon her face. Her eyes were open and staring at him in abject terror and surprise. Alone and helpless all she could do was stare at him. Bending over the coffin he looked directly into her eyes baring his fangs in a feral grin.

"I hear tell you are supposed to be in charge around here. I can smell you blood vampire, hear your heartbeat. You don't know how hard it is to keep from killing you, but I will spare your life this time. I am no simple beast to be ruled by anyone, be sure you understand that. The old Alpha is dead and I have taken his place. Challenge if you wish, but if you do expect no mercy from me. I found you once, and I can do it again any time I wish." Paul said his face barely inches from hers. Her heart beat increased noticeably being so close with a mixture of fear and something else. Paul had to pull away as he was overwhelmed with the urge to kiss her. Hearing a sound behind him he turned in time to see a vampire attacking him. Dodging the clawed swipe aimed for his back Paul spun and counter attacked. Claws met flesh and the vampire cried out as he was cut. The wound was surprisingly deep, but Paul had left his mark. Unwilling to let his enemy recover Paul leapt upon him biting and clawing. The vampire was powerful but not fast. After managing to dislodge him after the initial rush he was a bloody mess and couldn't see a thing. Paul wanted to finish him but he knew he sensed he didn't have the time. If the other guards woke up then he would be outnumbered.

Turning around he ran out of the room at full speed running at full speed to escape to the surface and daylight. Sounds of pursuit hounded as hundreds of feet followed him, but Paul dared not look back. Launching himself up the stairs he easily out distanced them and made it to the door. Once in the daylight he saw the two guards at the gate running towards him alerted to his presence. They opened up with machine gun fire trying to hit a moving target, but Paul was moving too fast. Gathering himself near the wall he leapt over and rolled down the hill. The drop was steep but he made it down without a scratch. Not bothering to dust himself off Paul shifted into wolf form again and began the journey home.

Rachel had just made it home for work when she felt her Alpha approach on the street. Dressed in new clothes after stopping off at his own home and taking a shower, Paul looked fine.

"Did you go to see her?" Rachel asked as he drew near. She was standing at her apartment building's doorstep with keys in hand.

"I did, and I told her that our pack was no longer hers." Paul said.

"What if she retaliates?" Rachel asked her face showing her worry, not just for the pack but for him.

"Any further hostility on her part, or that of her people and I will kill her next time. Would you like to go out to dinner?" Paul replied appearing unconcerned.

"What?" Rachel said confused.

"I skipped lunch and I could use something to eat. Would you care to join me?" Paul said.

"Ok ... but I should change." Rachel said wearing a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

"What you are wearing is fine. Come on." Paul said with a friendly smile.

Walking side by side they found a restaurant a few blocks, and neither of them seemed to mind walking. They were half way through their meals when Paul noticed a familiar face. Rachel noticed his smile and turned around only to gasp in shock

"Greetings Mrs. Powers. I thought you might want to talk. Please pull up a seat. Where are you bodyguards?" Paul said his face pleasant as if talking to an old acquaintance.

"One of them is recovering from your last visit, as for the other, he is waiting outside in the car." Persephone said taking a seat beside Rachel across from him in their quiet little booth.

"You knew she would come?" Rachel asked looking from one to the other.

"She's curious. I imagine it has been sometime since she has faced death." Paul said. He had chosen this booth carefully as it was in the far corner of the restaurant away from any other customers who might overhear. The waitress came over to take Persephone's order, but she politely declined and all of them watched the server leave.

"I am curious. Can vampires truly not eat, or drink anything else but blood?" Paul said his air of pleasantness still present.

"Most of the time it just makes us sick. Our bodies usually can't digest anything else. Now my turn: how did you manage to get so close to me without alerting anyone?" Rachel asked her face intent on him.

"I'm not in habit of giving such information to an enemy, even one with a pretty face." Paul answered.

"And if we weren't enemies?" Persephone asked.

"Perhaps, but then you would have to prove that, and I fail to see how that is possible." Paul said.

"Maybe we could offer each other something the other wants." Persephone suggested.

"I'm sorry but you have nothing I want. My pack is now free of you, and as I said before it's in your best interest to keep things peaceful between us." Paul said.

"Others will not accept such terms. Without the werewolves tied to me in some manner others will see it as a sign of weakness and challenge my claim to this area. I have come here offering an alliance. My terms are simple: we combine forces and..." Persephone said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.