Blood Fang - Cover

Blood Fang

Copyright© 2008 by David Caspian

Chapter 7

Paul expected his first jump to be a more jarring experience, but exiting the jump proved to be quite a smooth transition. They stood in a living room in what Paul knew was Persephone's residence, as much of the room and its furnishings were permeated with her scent. A picture on the coffee table confirms this conclusion, as it shows a picture of Persephone in an old black and white picture. Sensing her enter the room from behind him, Paul turned to greet her.

Glancing at the picture Persephone said, "Very few of my kind like pictures, as it leaves a visual record of our existence. I myself have posed for a number of pictures and paintings, though I always buy the finished product just to be safe. You might say I am a collector of vampiric art, and I have bought every example of it I can, storing it in my own private vault, but of course that is not why I brought you here."

"I understand things are more complicated than I was originally made aware of." Paul said letting some of his annoyance leak into his speech.

Persephone actually had the good grace to be slightly embarrassed for her part in that, which actually helped her case with Paul. With a gesture from Persephone Vertec left the room, leaving them alone.

Offering him a seat on the couch she said, "A decision that must be rethought. The other leaders will be arriving soon, and we will try to reach a consensus."

"Can you tell me more about these leaders?" Paul asked.

"What would you like to know?" Persephone asked.

"Why do you think you are enemies with the Keepers and Revenant?" Paul asked.

"As far as the Revenant go, it's a long story, but most Vankari are unofficially allies of the Keepers. We only act like enemies for the sake of appearances." Persephone answered.

"Appearances? You mean being openly allied to them makes you seem weak?" Paul asked.

"Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head: it's stupid, but it's also a reality." Persephone admitted.

"You're joking right?" Paul asked thinking how truly stupid this new concept was.

"It makes Vankari extremely difficult to deal with. Even I find it tiresome at times. The trouble is if you break from the pattern of looking down on other races, you are seen as weak yourselves, and discover how quickly you can be isolated by the other groups." Persephone said.

"What if we stood together?" Paul asked.

Looking into his face Persephone studied him for a moment, "You're serious."

"Even if I were to put aside any personal feelings, an alliance between us makes sense. The only reason something like it hasn't happened before was because those who came before us could not see past their hatred." Paul explained.

"But what about your pack? Will they accept your decision?" Persephone asked.

"You're assuming my pack lives in a democracy. I am the Alpha, and what I say goes." Paul said.

"One of them could challenge you for your authority." Persephone said with a worried face.

"You think too little of me; I have defeated two alphas already. Let anyone try to take my pack from me if they dare. I have no intention of giving them up without a fight." Paul said without a hint of fear.

"In that case why not?" Persephone said with a grin.

"I'm glad that both of you are finally getting along." A voice said from behind them.

Both of them turned and Persephone said, "Greetings Midian. Paul of the Were may I introduce you to Midian ruler of the Keepers."

"It is a pleasure sir." Paul said bowing his head in a show of respect, despite seeing what looked like a young teenager rather than a full grown man.

'He looks like he is no older than sixteen." Paul said to himself.

"Actually I'm a lot older my young friend." Midian replied.

"When were you born?" Paul asked.

He could barely sense Midian's presence, even with the other man standing right in front of him.

"Try ancient Rome." Persephone said.

Paul looked at Midian in disbelief.

"I was turned at the age you see me as, but I do not regret it. If you knew the story you would understand why. Perhaps I will tell you it some day, but right now our other guest should be arriving." Midian said with a confident smile.

They all felt him the moment he arrived.

"Greetings Serris." Midian said.

"It is a pleasure to see you again my old friend. I see the Were here have finally found themselves a strong leader." Serris said nodding at Paul.

"One who is interested in finalizing a treaty that will remove unnecessary distractions so we can unite against a common enemy." Paul replied.

"Someone could say that you and the Vankari have grown soft, and that is why an outside clan is moving in." Serris commented.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.