Australian Story
Chapter 5: Welcome to Australia

Copyright© 2008 by Oz Ozzie

Monday 12-Mar 2004

Chris had wondered whether that muttered comment about immigrants had something to do with the way Butthead Hanson treated Shahia. He was definitely picking on her. If Chris had any doubts before, there was no doubt that he was, and why, after Shahia's impromptu talk.

Everyone in the class had to do one. And everyone hated it. At the beginning of each period, Butthead Hanson would pick someone in the class, give them a subject, and then give them a few minutes to prepare. But for Shahia's turn, he'd done things differently.

He'd actually already picked Sue, another girl in the class, when a messenger had popped into the classroom and told Sue that she had to go see the headmaster about something. Butthead Hanson had turned to Shahia and called her up to the front of the class. Only after she had gotten up there did he give her the subject she had to speak on.

"Australia Day."

The few times that Shahia showed her emotions, they were obvious and easy to read. Now her face showed shock and dismay.

"Come on, show us that St Joseph's talent!" Butthead Hanson goaded her when she delayed starting.

A resolute expression appeared on her face, and she took a big breath.

Australia Day.

Australia Day is held each year on January 26th, the day that the first fleet set foot on Botany Bay in 1788. It's a public holiday, most people get the day off work. We don't get the day off school, of course, because we aren't back at school. Most people go away for a holiday, down the coast, or something.

But Australia Day is more than just another holiday. It's a chance to celebrate what it means to be Australian. A time for all Australians to come together and have a great big party in unison so we can all enjoy this great country, a land girt by sea, that we live in.

But I wonder: What does it mean to be Australian?

Australia is a great country. At heart, we value our mates, our freedom, our backyards, and most of all a fair go. This is a harsh country, and we band together in unity to fight back against the deserts in the heart of Australia, the droughts, the floods, and the mighty oceans. These things keep us together and yet also draw us apart.

That's what Australia Day is about.

So, if that's what it's about, why am I afraid to let my family out on Australia Day? Why do I keep us hiding inside when the weather outside is glorious? I'll tell you why. It's because of the colour of my skin, the shape of my face. It doesn't matter that I live here, that I've grown up here, that the only language I speak is English, that when I go to church, it's the Baptist church down the road, that I've never left Australia; no, none of those things matter. I look middle-eastern. A Lebo. And for that reason, I have to hide at home on Australia day.

But it doesn't make sense. January 26th, 1788. Another group of immigrants arrive in Australia, you know, the first 'civilised' ones. But even the aboriginals were migrants themselves, just like everyone else. Australia Day is about immigration, about the wonder of people from all over the world putting their past behind them and forging a new society, joined by the values of mateship and a fair go. That's what my parents came to Australia...

Shahia's voice broke, and then she paused for a second before continuing a new thought.

But perhaps it's not? Maybe Australia Day is a celebration of violence, of the violence between the whites and the blacks, between the convicts and the marines, between the land and its people? And now, between the whiteys and the Lebos ... because all these things have happened. And they still happen now. There have been riots all over Australia in the last couple of years, not just that big one in Sydney. It's another part of Australia, the violence that comes from a dead heart.

How can a nation of immigrants be so screwed up when it comes to immigration? How can we lock people up in concentration camps, screw them around for years, then send them home wrongly, so they die? It's just all one big mess, and everyone knows it, but nothing gets done. And meanwhile the politicians stir the pot for their own ends...

Well, a society can choose to be ruled by violence, or it can grow beyond that, show that there's something in life beyond greed, beyond taking what you want, and that we can share something better than that, something based around mateship and a fair go. Our society is just a big group of us.

So, what is your Australia Day about? You can choose, what does Australia mean to you? What will you make Australia be?

Shahia suddenly stopped, almost in surprise, and hurried down to her desk at the back of the classroom, and sat down, burying her head in her arms.

Chris looked at her in awe. It had been like a thunderbolt out of the blue. She'd just suddenly taken flight, speaking from the heart. And every one of her words had penetrated to his heart. His ... dead ... heart. He had a lot to think about.

He could see her breathing, deep and fast, she was clearly very upset.

Butthead Hanson stood up to give his review. "Well, Shahia, I have to say I'm disappointed. I cannot approve of your content, it was far too political for a classroom. And your presentation was rushed and muddled. But you did try, so I will be giving you a C."

Chris gasped, that was so unfair. He'd asked her to speak on the subject of Australia Day, what else could she do? Shahia looked up. Though her breathing was not under control, her face was once again as if set in stone. Quietly she said, "Thank you, sir". And then, under her breath, so quietly that only Chris heard it, "Yeah, right mate, a fair go. Thanks for nothing."

When the period finished, Chris walked out behind Shahia. He'd watched the tears that had flowed afterwards, the ones that she had tried so hard to hide. "That really wasn't fair. I thought you were the best of us by far, I'm going to go and complain."

Shahia's face broke into a panic. "No, please, you mustn't. No, I'd rather get a C than have any trouble."

Chris shrugged. It was her life. "Okay."


Thursday 15-Mar 2007

Chris sat in the back of the class and yawned. Butthead was going on about some fine old book again, as if anyone cared. It had been written two hundred years earlier. He felt like calling out that Butthead should get a life. He really hated Butthead now.

The only thing holding him back was the knowledge that if he got a detention, he'd be off the cricket team. Though there were only a couple of matches left, he really wanted to be in the last one. It was a tradition that the First Elevens of his school and St Joseph's would have the whole of the last day of the term off, and would play a proper limited over one-day match as the last official match of the year. This year his school was hosting the match.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.