Artists and Abstracts - Cover

Artists and Abstracts

Copyright© 2007 by excelerent

Ammo

The buzzing fluorescent lights were the first or many indications I was not in the proverbial Kansas anymore. The overly firm bed, the sterile scent of the air, the beeping of monitors and such...

A hospital.

My first thought was that I was in a padded room; all this had been a dream. It wasn't, the appearance of a nurse hovering over an unrestrained, un-medicated me meant that I was in a regular, come here to die, hospital. The doc came in and did his usual do you feel alright routine and my parents moseyed on in. well not quite moseyed, more like scurried, and my father recounted the tale of finding me bleeding out of both mouth nose, quite profusely. My Mother was distressed; I on the other hand was not.

I felt amazing.

My muscles absolutely held no tension and my brain was absolutely clear (aside from a pang in the back of my head). Everything was perfect. I felt like a whole new me, at as young as I was.

The normal battery of tests began and ended. The docs had some real ammo now, my brain wave patterns were highly abnormal, and I showed signs of exhaustion but without the telltale physical exertion, and without the hard work and long hours that blackout exhaustion would merit. Besides all that the CAT and PET showed rapidly increasing use of brainpower and frontal lobe activity was nearly seventy times a normal person. They kept me four days; I did nothing mental while in the hospitals care and despite several doctors' pleas, I was released.

Four days without my little lead friend felt like an eternity, and for some reason I was nearly bouncing off the walls with the energy I had, I hid it as best I could, but my parents noticed and cited the doctors warnings that something was wrong, telling me to stop what I was doing (in retrospect I think they meant drugs, this wasn't a drug, but it met the basic definition). I went to my room and saw the bullet, laying on the floor, slightly under my bed, the mess of my room hiding it from probing parental eyes.

I immediately bounced the bullet up and caught it before I had realized what I had done. This was the first time I had consciously used my kinetic connection with the bullet for a practical purpose. I smiled, It was so incredibly easy to focus on the bullet and the feeling was so clear, I could almost see It. Before the feeling subsided, I brought the bullet up to face level and lined it up with the bed in general, moved my focus to the bullets edge and pushed.

The bullet hit the bed with a clang. That was odd, you see, because metal clangs, not soft fluffy beds.

Interested, I took a little walk toward the bed, and began to search for bullet. It was easy enough to find it, sitting near the pillow, next to a nickel. I picked up both of the objects and examined then, the nickel was just a nickel; the bullet was just a bullet. Feeling experimental I began to concentrate on the feeling, and focused not on the bullet, but instead on the nickel.

I lowered my hand. It stayed still.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.