An Unsettled Calm
Chapter 30

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

We had our honeymoon that afternoon. After we had consummated our love for each other we got dressed. Our cover was that we were a jazz band going down to the island to jive at a private party. The home boys were all decked out in their zoots. The Tommy guns and heaters were going as a git box, reeds, tram, etc. We brought a real licorice stick in case some copper wanted to see our tools. I was supposed to be the manager, as there were supposed to be some platter plugs there. I was wearing cheaters and a suit. Sarah was the canary. The dames had her sportin' some hot glad rags. Mr. Blue was not going to join us, Leroy was gonna be his hep cat buddy ghee for the lay.

We all left in one boiler, a 1935 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall that had been gloumed that afternoon. A copper in a squad car gave us the once over, but did not put the screws on us. We were just some jig hep cats going to a jolly up. You could hear the sigh of relief as the copper turned off. Once we entered Long Island we dropped off the two gees with the Tommy guns to truck down to the beach. We then went back to the main road, took the turn off for Camp Siegfried and pulled far off the road before the turn that led to the gate.

We all piled out of the tin can and got changed. Sarah had been thinking ahead and wore her pants and shirt under her dress. That disappointed the home boys but made me feel better. Sarah and I took turns putting grease paint on each other's skin that showed. Sarah had her camera and extra film. I took a flashlight. I wanted to see what was in that second bunker before we blew it. Those of us that were packing had extra shells. The small, shy Toby had his box with his 'boom-boom' dinguses in it. I recognized a couple of small bottles of nitro, some sticks of dynamite already fused and a chunk of what I took to be TNT.

We sneaked down the road, stopping at the main gate. I uncovered the hidden compartment and pulled the lever. Sarah took a picture of the compartment and the raised section of turf. I slid the hatch to the side and she took a picture of the inside of the bunker with the machine gun and all the spare belts of shells.

I turned to Leroy who was just taking a stick of dynamite from Toby. "Do not blow this until the fireworks start. After you blow it, I'll meet you at the armory."

The rest of us, two gees, Toby, Sarah and myself, sneaked further into the camp. One of the gees with a Tommy gun was clanking it against something, I made him stop. When we reached the bunker, I opened the hatch. I went in and turned on my flashlight, Sarah right behind me. The smell like gasoline was stifling in here. In one corner were eight sets of two tanks with a pipe attached to them. Sarah softly whistled and took several pictures of them. "Do you know what these are?" I shook my head 'no'. "They are Flammespritzringe. The Germans used individual flame throwers in the War to End All Wars. It looks like they have been making it better. So much for no more wars." Sarah took pictures of the entire bunker, including the gun ports.

We backed out of the bunker and I showed the Gees how to close the door. "They will only need one stick of dynamite Toby. Make sure you close the door after you toss in the dynamite and get back, a lot. It will blow up easy with lots of fire. Remember, wait for the fireworks."

Toby, Sarah and I sneaked back near the armory. No one was outside smoking this time. A few minutes went by, it was very dark out. I wondered where the fireworks were. The plan depended on them for timing and to provide some cover for the explosions and gunshots. I was pacing back and forth worrying a path in the grass when I heard a shrill whistle and saw a spark rising in the sky. The fireworks have started!

I heard the fireworks explode, and saw the pretty pattern it left in the sky. A few seconds after that, I heard an enormous explosion from the second bunker. There was no way that the people in the camp thought that was fireworks. I heard yelling from the inn and expected the door to the armory to open. The two gees from the second bunker ran up. They were covered with soot and very excited. I shushed them up and told them to watch the stone wall that hid the door to the armory. The bunker at the gate should have been blown up by now. Was something wrong?

I said to the two Tommy gunners, "Leroy's dynamite should have gone off by now. I'm going to see if he needs help. I'll be back soon, keep watching the armory. I ran up to the gate, not noticing that Sarah had followed me. The bunker's door was wide open with no sign of Leroy. Sarah came to a stop next to me. She was also puzzled.

Leroy stepped out of the shadows carrying the machine gun. Sarah gasped when she realized what was happening. "The boss an eye got 'gether and thought out this change to your plan. See Mr. Blue wants those fancy guns. A truck is waiting by the tin can for a word from me. Then we can save all those fancy guns for Mr. Blue. I'll miss those niggahs at the beach with their Tommy guns, but some times youse has to loose small to win big!"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.