An Unsettled Calm - Cover

An Unsettled Calm

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

Chapter 24

Sarah finally managed to get some sleep. We both woke up early in the morning, the gee who owned the old drum had a stocked refrigerator, a coffee pot and a stove so Sarah cooked them all a big breakfast. She cooked enough for four people which included Paul, the owner of the speakeasy, Roxy his flame, myself and Sarah.

Paul was a good friend of mine so I gave him the low down on everything. He was sympathetic to our problems, but the coppers were putting the screws to everyone and we wouldn't be able to stay at his joint another night. I would not want the bulls to have a reason to throw Paul into the slammer, so the sooner we leave the better.

It had just turned 8 AM when Sarah made her call to the FBI. It was answered by the secretary. As soon as Sarah spoke, the secretary recognized her voice and started giving advice. "Honey, where are you? No, don't tell me, everyone is looking for you. Why did you do it? I know that Special Agent Fitzgerald can be a trial at times, but you should not have joined up with that criminal Malone.

Sarah finally got a word in, "Mr. Malone is not a criminal! He is being framed. Let me talk to Special Agent Fitzgerald and I can get this all made jake." It took a few minutes before Fitzgerald came on the blower.

Fitzgerald was angry too. "What the hell do you think you are doing Goldman? The police in three states are on the look out for you and have issued orders to shoot on sight! You are currently suspended and will probably be thrown off the FBI! Why did you break into that house, blow the safe and shoot that woman?

"I did not shoot anybody! That woman was tied up but fine when we left. We only blew the safe to get evidence on Marks. He is your real criminal!"

"It was your gun that shot and killed that woman. You committed the crime of breaking into a safe to get evidence? You know that any evidence gotten through a criminal enterprise will not be admissible in court. Did you also know that Mr. Marks is a friend of both the police and the mayor's office?

"I put in my report that my gun had been taken a hood when I narrowly escaped an attempt on my life. That evidence is not for any court, it's for the Government. And I've got pictures of Marks meeting with men high in the Police Force, the District Attorney's Office and the Mayor's Office. They are all in on it! You would not believe what they are planning!

"I think I've listened to enough unfounded allegations from you. A woman is dead and it was your gun that killed her! Also there is the matter of a missing $100,000. Stop stalling and tell me where I can pick you up, so you won't get shot by the cops. You will have your day in court and can explain everything there."

Sarah was going to continue to try to explain, but that flatfoot was not listening to her. He had already made up his mind, she was guilty, the evidence said so. I hung up the blower. "It's no good talking to him, Sarah. He already has you pegged as a criminal." Sarah began sobbing and I held her in my arms while trying to think how to get us out from behind the 8 ball. Marks had the bulge and we had to turn that ship around!

As I was holding Sarah in my arms, I went through the possible things to do in my mind. We could sneak to Long Island and hide there, no Deputy Scruggs might catch us and I know what a stickler for the rules he is. Don Guido is out, the coppers were in a wacky mood and I didn't want to get him in trouble. Where would I go to hide from Marks and the police? Somewhere unexpected, someplace I would try my best not to be. The hoosegow under a rapper name and a trumped up charge, no too confining and I might be too jake at it and end up staying longer than I wanted.

I then got a real goofy idea! There was some risk involved, but if it worked it would be perfect! I whispered my plan into Sarah's ear. Her body stiffened as I told her what I had planned. Then she started laughing like her wits had left her. When she could speak again she said, "I love your plan. It's so goofy it might work. And if it doesn't work, we won't be stuck in the pen wasting away. Now we had to only make to dusk, to try it.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.