An Unsettled Calm
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

The morning blat sure had the story on the fire yesterday evening. That fire had been in Lakehurst New Jersey at the Naval Air Station. It read that the Hindenburg, a German dirigible was trying to dock to a mooring mast after completing a two day transatlantic voyage. The airship had left Frankfort Germany on the 4th of May. A number of people on the Hindenburg were killed as well as at least one person on the ground. The cause has not yet been determined, but people in the know were hinting of sabotage.

A vigorous discussion among the residents of the boarding house followed. Charlie was quick to point out that a bomb had obviously been stowed aboard in Germany with the explosion and fire supposed to have happened over the ocean to hide the evidence. "The dirigible must have caught a tail wind on the way over. It was just dumb luck that it made it all the way to the United States."

Sarah wasn't so sure. "The only reason the Germans would have had to sabotage it would have been to blame it on us. We know that Germany is itching for a fight, but we are too far away to start anything." The chinning went on and on, until Charlie said he was gonna be late for work. The chinning broke up soon after that, but I was certain that we hadn't heard the last of it.

We now bring you an event that actually happened yesterday. Reporter Herbert Morrison was in Lakehurst, New Jersey to report on the arrival of the Airship Hindenburg. What follows is an actual recording of the Hindenburg disaster. "It's practically standing still now. They've dropped ropes out of the nose of the ship; and (uh) they've been taken ahold of down on the field by a number of men. It's starting to rain again; it's—the rain had (uh) slacked up a little bit. The back motors of the ship are just holding it (uh) just enough to keep it from— It's burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing! Watch it! Watch it! Get out of the way! Get out of the way! Get this, Charlie; get this, Charlie! It's fire—and it's crashing! It's crashing terrible! Oh, my! Get out of the way, please! It's burning and bursting into flames; and the—and it's falling on the mooring-mast. And all the folks agree that this is terrible; this is the worst of the worst catastrophes in the world. [indecipherable] its flames ... Crashing, oh! Four- or five-hundred feet into the sky and it—it's a terrific crash, ladies and gentlemen. It's smoke, and it's flames now; and the frame is crashing to the ground, not quite to the mooring-mast. Oh, the humanity and all the passengers screaming around here. I told you; it—I can't even talk to people Their friends are out there. Ah! It's—it—it's a—ah! I—I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen. Honest: it's just laying there, mass of smoking wreckage. Ah! And everybody can hardly breathe and talk and [indecipherable]. Lady, I—I—I'm sorry. Honest: I—I can hardly breathe. I—I'm going to step inside, where I cannot see it. Charlie, that's terrible. Ah, ah;—I can't. Listen, folks; I—I'm gonna have to stop for a minute because [indecipherable] I've lost my voice. This is the worst thing I've ever witnessed." Reporter Herbert Morrison as he was recorded yesterday evening in Lakehurst, New Jersey.


There was really only one place to go if you wanted a box-job pulled, and that was your friendly neighborhood Mafia. "When I was just a boy I had become a 'friend' of a Mafia Capo. Don't get the wrong idea. I didn't rub someone out when I was just a kid. It was winter and his son was skating in Central Park. I guess he did not know that there was some ice you didn't skate on, it never really got that thick. Well, he was skating where he should not have skated and he ended up falling through the ice. I happened to be close when he fell in and I pulled him out. This big, burly guy ran towards us and I almost ran away myself."

"It turns out he was supposed to look out for Don Guido's son and thought he was being snatched. Tony was quick to wise him up and we all rode in a Dusenberg to his house to get warmed up and to get him some dry clothes. That was when I met the Don. After he heard the story, he kissed me (ewww!) and said if I ever needed anything, to come to him."

"I have never had the need for the Mafia or Don Guido's promise, but I think that we do now. We can't go to your G-men buddies, it would never happen in time. We need to find out now!" We freshened up then got back into the car. I don't know why it takes women so long to get ready, but looking at Sarah I think it is worth it! She is a beauty and smart too.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.