Darth Demus: Star Wars - Cover

Darth Demus: Star Wars

Copyright© 2007 by Cylis Derrens

Part 3

In the wake of Master Darkblade's departure the Jedi Council began a period of adjustment. As an important voice, his decisions and advice had proven invaluable over the years.

Now without him the Jedi were having more trouble keeping an eye on their numerous enemies. Other changes had included a shift by some members of the council to a more traditional view.

Without James to push modernization it was inevitable. The first casualty was Aayla Secura. Some of the master's had begun to question who the father of her child was but Aayla had not answered.

Her child was a mix of Twi'lek and Human features matching her skin color. His power in the Force was indeed powerful suggesting a lineage far beyond what Aayla alone could offer.

It had long been suspected that Darth Demus himself might be the father, and if that was true her Aayla's loyalties were considered compromised.

Stripped of her former rank and position Aayla escaped, taking her child with her. The Jedi lost all track of her as she headed towards an outer rim system. While in transit on a passenger transport her ship came under attack from pirates and was captured.

Demus was in his personal chamber, a very Spartan looking room meditating. As his mind searched the cosmos he heard Aayla's cry for help.

Focusing in on it his mind tried to locate her among the stars. Images of a pirate attack and Aayla holding their son close as the transport's shields fell.

Breaking his meditation Darth Demus quickly rose his feet and hurried from the room. Propelled by purpose and the Force he became a blur of speed. Heading to the nearest docking bay he boarded his personal transport, and had taken off using his personal codes to override the normal launch sequence.

Grand Admiral Talas saw a Lambda Class shuttle take off and sensed that his master was on board. Keying in communications he tried to contact him.

"My lord where are you going?" Talas asked but only silence came back.

Looking at the sensors officer Talas said, "Track him and signal the fleet."

Talas knew something was wrong: he could feel it. He never had seen his master act like this before.

On a dark night two human guards stood on the battlements of a hidden fortress, carved into the mountains itself. None of them expected an attack since no enemy knew of this place.

The guards had their backs turned to the jungles below even as a lone figure approached. Scaling the mountain face itself the figure made his way upward at a speedy pace. Once he reached the top he kept to the shadows blending in like some wild predator, stalking his prey.

While the guards drank and talked merely, he crept up behind. Only the sudden his of the lightsaber and a red glow warned them of his presence. By then it was far too late. With two sweeping arcs of the red blade he cut them down, without a whisper from either of them.

With a burst of speed he was gone moving like a killing wind: too swift to be seen but leaving destruction in his wake. The bodies of many would litter the ground tonight as he searched for his love.

Launching himself up a flight of stairs he made his way to her. Moving down a long hallway carved into the rock he saw a door at the far end but sensed something that brought dread to his heart.

Hurrying towards it he grasped the wood of the door itself and ripped it from its hinges. Tossing it aside he saw the body of his son lying before the dieing form of Aayla Secura.

Bruised and beaten, her body was broken. Each breath brought only pain and the promise of still more the longer she thrived.

Opening her eyes she saw Demus and smiled.

"You came. I knew you would." Aayla said reaching for him with both arms.

Dousing his lightsaber Demus put it away before kneeling beside her.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be here earlier, and save you and our son." Demus said a feeling of despair overwhelming him.

He couldn't heal her enough that she might live. Aayla was too far gone and the damage too extensive.

"You came when others did not. I thought I was alone. Then I felt you and reached out for you and you came to my rescue. I couldn't protect him.

They forbade me from training and took my lightsaber. I wasn't strong enough to help him. His name was Elcan" Aayla said as they looked on the body of their son.

He had been a handsome boy, that much Demus could see before they had shot him.

Demus kept his anger in check at that moment. There would be other times to let it flow through him. For now he merely stayed with Aayla in her last moments, holding her close.

Kissing her lips he saw her close her eyes for the last time and she was gone. Laying her down he heard the sound of his comlink beeping.

Taking it out he turned it on saying, "Yes Talas?"

"My lord we are in orbit. Pirate ships are attempting to take off and escape. Hat are your orders." Talas said.

"Kill them all and take no prisoners. Do not let one ship escape or I'll deal with you myself!" Demus said letting a little bit of his anger show.

"Yes my lord." Talas replied.

The skies overhead lit up as the space battle began in orbit. By the time Demus had returned to his Star Destroyer the battle was over and the pirate fleet lay in ruins.

Disembarking from the shuttle he was met by Talas himself.

"Gather all out ships into a single fleet. I intend to end the stalemate between us and the rebels. It is time to deliver a great blow to the Jedi Order. No longer will I wait." Demus said the hood of his cloak hiding his eyes and much of his face.

"But master, the Jedi are spread throughout the galaxy. Attacking a single temple will only hurt them temporarily." Talas said.

"Not if we lure the most powerful of them out. An attack on Coruscant will ensure this. The Jedi cannot afford to see the capital of their New Republic fall.

We will mount a surprise attack and catch them off balance. I am certain they will send their best especially when I announce myself." Demus said.

When the distress call went out, three members of the Jedi Council accompanied the Republic fleet that came to Coruscant's aid. Watching the flashes of ship to ship fire as massive cruisers and fighters engaged each other, Obi Wan Kenobi tried to locate the leader of the enemy fleet.

A dark presence could be felt somewhere below along with a great tremor in the Force: Hundreds of Jedi were dieing in the Jedi Temple.

Anakin had asked to come with Obi Wan and help him.

"Don't go Obi Wan. I sense a dark presence there. Something waits for you, and it's setting a trap. I see a cloaked figure with a red blade and the Dark Side surrounds him.

He means to kill you all. If you go you will be playing into his hand." Anakin said worried about his friend.

"Don't worry Anakin. Master Windu and Master Yoda will be leading the assault. With them commanding the fleet and our troops, we will soon retake Coruscant.

Do not give in to fear. You are a master now as well as a member of the Council. While we are gone others will look to you for strength. I have no doubt you will not disappoint me." Obi Wan replied laying a comforting hand on Anakin's shoulder.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.