The War with the Gods
Part 2

Copyright© February 28, 2000 GLSegorski

Chapter 4

I awoke to pandemonium. Healers were running south and west, casting invoke midstride. Clusters of Journeymen Mages muttered to each other in the nearly unintelligible babble of spellcasting as they passed me. Heading after them, I quickly spotted a large contingent of Warriors lining the edges of the cliffs. No Rogues were in sight.

"Kimpo!" I bellowed, not seeing the tall Warrior anywhere.

"Just a bit busy here, General;" I heard his response, from far down the line of Warriors. "Glad you are up, I was thinking about sending your aide to wake you."

Even from my slightly lower vantage point, I could clearly see what occupied my second in command. From the base of the cliffs, stretching off into the distance almost to the tree line, Rowann had arranged her soldiers. It looked to me like every man woman and child in the kingdom had been drafted into the Royal Army.

"When did this happen?" Kimpo stopped instructing the men on the walls for a second and glanced at the army.

"It surprised me a bit, too," he said shrugging, "the first time I looked at it. Pretty impressive."

"It's everyone!" I exclaimed, still dumbfounded. "Look! There's a division of Sonhi! How did they convince Sonhi to join them!? And in the middle of those Warriors -- that's Taebek! When was the last time you saw HIM out of the Guild Hall?"

"It matters not to me," Kimpo shrugged again. "When I decided to fight on your side, it was a commitment to the end. Win or lose, against a few peasants or all the Gods together."

No wonder all my warriors were acting like this was the first day of the siege again. Kimpo's zeal was contagious.

"Did you notice that all our Rogues are missing?" I scanned up and down the line of Warriors.

"Ask Kraki," Kimpo chuckled. His reunion with his son must have gone well, as I couldn't even remember seeing him in such high spirits.

"Where is Kraki?" I scanned the line again, looking for Kraki's distinctive black armor. I was nothing.

"Here I am. What do you need, General?" I spun around; Kraki stood behind me.

"Kraki, two things," I took the Rogue's arm and led him away from the battlements. "First, where are my Rogues?"

His enigmatic smile suggested that was all he was going to say on the subject.

"Alright, I'll trust you," I halted well out of earshot of the troops. To make certain, I fizzled a Heal spell. It refused to target anyone but Kraki and I, so I knew we were alone. "The second thing, I was hoping we could end this fight with a draw. I wanted to negotiate, as neither side seemed to be getting the upper hand."

Kraki nodded. He was almost as bad as Kimpo, but where Kimpo would willingly fight to the death, Kraki would wait until his life was a thread, then rig an ambush and stab his foe in the back.

"Now things have changed. We aren't going to win, Kraki."

"Did you tell Kimpo?" Kraki asked.

"Why bother?" I shrugged unconsciously mimicking the great Warrior. He will fight on regardless."

"Why tell me?" Kraki seemed suspicious, but that might be his usual demeanor.

"Old friend, I have a job for you..."


Chapter 5

"Messenger!" Donatelo popped up next to me, as I stood on a rise overlooking the battlements. We watched silently, as Kimpo readied the Warrior line, sometimes literally kicking them into place. He also inspected the Poets in their shielded bunker, where he was much kinder. Kimpo had a soft spot for Poets.

"You're fired," I turned to my now former Aide. He seemed stunned.

"Wha... what did I do?" he stammered out.

"I told you this was a crash course in military tactics," I waved my arms around, pointing to the huge army surrounding us. "Welcome to the crash part of it."

"What do I do now?"

"There is another opening for you, although it isn't an easy job. The Reborn's Rogues need a commander. You feel up to it?"

"Where is Kraki?" I shot him a look and considered telling him nothing, but as a commander, he had a right to know something.

"Kraki's on special assignment."

Several orange clad figures appeared in the center of the enemy front line. "Looks like we are about to get started."

One of the orange figures moved quickly towards the dense cluster of officers surrounding Rowann. We couldn't hear anything from this distance, of course, but the General waved her arms a lot. Unless she was practicing bird impressions, she objected to the Immortal's plan of attack. Anything Rowann disapproved of had my blessing, so I cheered to myself a bit as she threw up her hands and relayed Rabsha's orders.

"A break for us I would guess," I muttered.

My aide, that is, former aide, looked up at me questioningly.

"Rabsha is no strategist and he gets mat too easy," I watched as some of the orange clad figures moved to the front line of warriors and mages. Two of them split from the group and joined Rowann, a small feminine figure, and a tall bald one; Briar and Hroth, no doubt. "Now, THAT'S going to be trouble."

I turned back to the young Rogue commander. "Get to your troops. Whatever fun Kraki had planned, make it costly to our enemies."

"Messenger!" One Rogue disappeared and another took his place, "Make sure Kimpo knows that I will be directing the fight from here. I will NOT be joining the line. Tell him Rabsha has decided to attack us in groups, each group will have an Immortal. He will no doubt ask why they don't just put all their warriors together and charge up the hill overwhelming us. Tell him it is not Rowann's plan but Rabsha's. He will understand."

Exactly as I had predicted, one Immortal assigned himself to each of the forward groups and Rabsha shouted an advance. The main force of Kugnaens held back as six smaller groups marched slowly towards us.

"Very impressive," I smiled, as our enemy moved into range. There was a brief falter in their steps, but no moves were made to stop them.

Out battlements were centered in a large U-shape valley with warriors at the base of the U and the lower rocky outcroppings empty of men. As the last of the six companies passed between the outcroppings, a mist formed on the rocks. The advancing company didn't seem to notice, but Rabsha did. From his position in the middle of the Kugnaean line, he shouted orders and furiously waved his arms. Too late.

Kraki had arranged my Rogues along the almost impossible to climb outcroppings. He had also, it seemed, made sure they were heavily reinforced with Zibong Rogues. Give him credit, he learned more about our Rogue's capabilities in a day than I had in the weeks of our siege.

It was almost over before anyone noticed that something had gone wrong. The Rogues streamed down the outcroppings, encircling the enemy with a speed only possible by young graceful Rogues.

Deathtouch blazed across the trapped companies. Many of the enemy panicked and scrolled back to town. Those that stood their ground fell under the blades of our Rogues, popping in and out of visibility.

The six Immortals disappeared in a gray cloud of Zibong Magic, further disheartening the rapidly disappearing hordes. As the last of them fell, a faint cheer went up from the gathered Reborn. From his position among the Reborn Warriors, Kimpo vehemently silenced the cheering, excited Warriors. I knew they were in for a lecture on behavior.

"Let them celebrate, Brother," I muttered. "This war isn't over, yet."

I watched Rabsha's furious arm waving and tried to predict by his body language alone, what he was planning. He kept pointing to one then the other of the outcroppings, then making closing motions with his hands.

"Messenger!" the Rogue popped up with alacrity. "Get to the Rogue commander now and have him pull everyone off the rocks. NOW!"

Several Immortals formed two groups, which approached the rocks cautiously. As their men began gingerly climbing among the boulders and menhirs, unopposed, the Immortals shrugged and signaled back to Rabsha.

"What's up, General?" the new Rogue commander somehow seemed taller with a victory under his belt.

"I don't care where you put your Rogues, " I explained, "just keep them off the outcrops for now."

"Got it. Those Immortals aren't stupid enough to come charging into range of our Mages."

"Not unless they got really angry," I smiled and suggested something. My former aide's eyes widened.

"As you command," he saluted and disappeared.

We still controlled the high ground, but our enemy now had uncontested rights to the tips of our U, beyond which the greater bulk of the Kugnaens formed one long line, with Rabsha in the middle.

The Kugnaean Warriors in their heavy armor were unable to climb up as our Rogues had, so instead waved and taunted the Reborn Warriors above them. Some of our Warriors tossed a few rocks, but they didn't make it as far as the Kugnaean groups.

Suddenly the long line of Kugnaens started to buckle from the flanks towards the center. Warrior after warrior fell to an invisible foe, swinging wildly; many even hit their own men. As the wave of falling men reached nearly to Rabsha himself, it suddenly ceased.

Kimpo waved to me from the battlements then shrugged. I pointed back at the field, not wanting him to miss act two of the Rogue Show. The Kugnaens started to get reorganized, when it started all over again, this time on the second line. More warriors fell.

Even Kimpo laughed as he realized what was happening. Our Rogues were ambushing every warrior in line, but instead of staying and fighting, they moved down one and ambushed again. Staying mostly invisible, they were like trying to hit a gnat with a broadsword. True enough, one strike had little effect on a warrior, but then the next Rogue stepped up ambushed, disappeared. Then the next. Each warrior's vitality was sapped by dozens of tiny blows where their armor was weakest. The disorganized Healers knew not who to heal, until the warriors started to fall.

Now even Rabsha was realizing what was happening. He sent more healers to the ends of the third row, but nothing happened.

Between the tips of the U, directly in front of Rabsha, all our Rogues dropped their invisibility at once. Elaborately bowing to the chief Archon, they turned and ran towards the battlements.

The two warrior groups flooded down from the rocks to intercept them. Rabsha started screaming and the whole front line moved forward in pursuit.

"Hurry, hurry," I whispered, watching the fleet Rogues race up the canyon. Mages and Poets cheered the runners, throwing down ropes for the first arrivals. Our warriors were silent.

In fact, they seemed to be missing.

As the first line of Kugnaens charged into the canyon led by Rabsha, our Warriors were letting themselves down onto the rocks, using ropes. We had effectively flanked them twice.

"By the Gods, they fell for it again!" I whooped and struck my armored thighs.

The last of the Rogues was pulled up to safety and the ropes were raised.

The pursuing warriors slowed and stopped. They looked up at our battlements, full of Reborn Mages, half in Zibong form, the rest raising Hellfire. A slow retreat began, until they ran into Rabsha. He realized he had been duped and ordered a retreat.

The canyon was being closed off by Reborn Warriors, climbing clumsily down into the valley over the rock. No retreat was left for Rabsha.

"Take out the Immortals first," the messenger popped off to deliver my order.

Rabsha knew his only escape was through our Warriors. Out of range of our healers and any Zibong magic protections, he stood a chance. However he was well within the range of our Zibong Mages.

Neither our warriors nor the enemy's wanted to be on the receiving end of a charge, so they both charged. Hellfire and Deathtouch stormed around the Immortals positions. Every Mage cast his deadly magic afield. The Warriors of both sides clashed, Kimpo leading the Reborn, however Rabsha's group contained Healers and the Warriors stayed strong, while ours weakened. Only Kimpo seemed tireless, hacking and slashing, all that stood against him fell. Cheers went up from our Mages and Poets as each new warrior faced Kimpo. Still, his vitality never wavered.

"How, in Orb's name..." the line around Kimpo parted for a second and I caught sight of a very small warrior dressed in novice armor. He looked oddly familiar.

"Oh, no," I moaned, finally recognizing the youngster. "Beorn..."

"Poets! Get some of those Rogues on their feet and down there now!" Of course all our Poets, save one, were trying to do just that.

that one missing Poet was Beorn, wearing a warrior's armor, he was secretly casting Heal spells on his friend Kimpo from the middle of the field!

"Where's my Axe!" I looked for my pack, my belt loop was empty.

"General, Sir," the young Rogue commander appeared at my elbow, "We need you up here."

"My brothers need me down there!" My Axe was peeking out under a pile of bedding, I snatched it up and Enchanted it.

"Are we not your brothers, too?" I paused, watching, as Kimpo felled another; Hellfire taking down one of Rabsha's healers. The Archon repeatedly hit by Deathtouch, hung on to this world, perhaps by his teeth. "Your words, General, were that we are all family. Besides, live or die, Kimpo and Beorn CHOSE to fight together this way.?

"I will honor them." As I watched the group surrounding Kimpo closing in tighter, a thought occurred to me. "Mages! Start knocking down those warriors in front of Kimpo! Stack them like cordwood!"

"He's not going to like that!" Donatelo observed. "He wants to be the Hero. He doesn't want to be rescued."

"Tough. Rowann is waiting out there with the rest of her army." I watched as the bodies started impeding Kimpo's advance towards Rabsha. "We are going to need Kimpo and the rest of the Warriors behind him."

The Kugnaens quickly realized that there was a death zone around the Warriors and retreated to encircle Rabsha. the Archon's aura seemed dimmer, he must have limits.

My Aide disappeared briefly. When he returned, he reported that the Rogues were ready for another sortie.

"Good timing." I tried to measure the distance from the battlements to the ever smaller cluster of Kugnaens. "Let's try this. If Rabsha goes down they will all fold. Trouble is, he keeps healing himself, constantly. We need to distract him. Take your Rogues down there, but drop your invisibility as soon as you are on the plain. Tell the Zibong Mages to hold off until Rabsha turns to face you. Then hit him with everything."

One by one, the Rogues disappeared. I presumed they were climbing down the rocks. We all waited, watching Rabsha try to organize another attack.

Kimpo reluctantly returned to the struggling group of Warriors, followed by his small shadow who quickly began to patch up as many of them as he could. As they went out of range of our healers, Beorn was their only hope.

We all seemed to wait. I hoped it wouldn't be long, as I didn't want Rabsha to start wondering why Rowann hadn't sent any reinforcements. She sat out in the field with Hroth and Briar waiting.

When the Rogues appeared it startled even me, and I was watching for them. Their commander had interpreted his orders rather liberally. I thought he would just appear with all his Rogues some safe distance from the Immortals group. Instead the whole group appeared at once, running at a speed only a young Rogue could attain, straight at Rabsha.

We had hoped to catch Rabsha off guard. From the Immortal's furious attempts to direct his remaining heavy armor Warriors to intersect the Rogues, I guess we succeeded. Of course, getting all those Warriors through the middle of your line in a hurry will cause some foul-ups. As Rabsha fought to straighten his soldiers, the Rogues struck his line. Mages and Poets took most of the beating, few Warrior stood ready.

A high-pitched wail rose above the valley, turning into a piercing scream. Kimpo had been watching, too, and with that eerie Barbarian battle cry, led his remaining Warrior against Rabsha's now unprotected rear.

"Perfect!" I waved to the commander of the Zibong phased Mages. "Hit Rabsha, now!"

Our Mages were improving with practice, instead of a spattering of spells striking the Immortal, one vast thunderclap of Deathtouch blasted him from the Realm.

As soon as the remaining Kugnaens realized their leader wasn't coming back, they opted for retreat. Using Return spells and yellow scrolls, the valley quickly became all Reborn, again.

My Aide and Kimpo clasped hands in the middle of the field and a cheer went up on the battlements. As the victorious Rogues and warriors returned to the waiting Healers, I glanced up at the Royal Army encampment. Rowann and Hroth stood silently watching.

"Celebrate while you can," I muttered, finally sheathing my unused Axe, "This isn't over."

Within the hour we had gathered a War Council. Kimpo, Beorn, and my new Rogue Commander joined our senior Mages and Poets.

"Congratulations on a great victory," I began the meeting. "The Realm has never seen anything like this before."

"Why do I feel certain his next sentence will start with 'Unfortunately... '?" Beorn said to Donatelo.

"Unfortunately..." Everyone laughed. "Rowann isn't through with us."

"Isn't she a friend of yours?" my senior Poet asked. "Will she pursue this now that Rabsha is gone."

"Yes, she will," I explained. "If Rabsha weren't returning, Rowann would likely return to Kugnae and await a Royal decision."

"Will she hold off another attack until Rabsha returns?" Beorn asked.

"No," Kimpo added. "Rabsha has proved himself no match for Gareth in the field; Rowann will not wait for him to return and assume command again. She will attack as soon as she is able."

"Why?" my Rogue commander asked. "If she doesn't believe in Rabsha's reasons for this war, why not just pull back and let him lose it?"

Kimpo looked at the Rogue as he would a tavern drunk that had soiled him. I decided I should answer this.

"Would you ever send your Rogues into a battle hoping they would lose?"

"I couldn't do that to them. We fight to win!" I could see Kimpo approved of his answer.

"When we fight, we fight with honor," he said. Rowann lives by the same creed as any Barbarian Warrior." He paused to reflect, "She would have made a glorious warrior.

"So, what's next?" Beorn asked, "How can we stand and fight Rowann?"

All eyes were on me.

"Hey," I spread my hands wide, "Anyone is a good tactician compared to Rabsha."

"You underestimate yourself, Brother," Kimpo stated, his expression brooked no disagreement. "What do you think Rowann will do first?"

"Well," I considered, "she knows we took some losses, so our battlements won't be as heavily manned. I imagine she will try to breach the walls at one point and if it isn't immediately successful, attack another point on the theory that we had to draw off men to reinforce the first area."

"That would work," my Rogue commander pondered. "We did take losses. If she attacks like that how will we stand against her?"

"We obviously couldn't," I said plainly.

"Then we lose?" Beorn's face fell.

"No, Little Brother," Kimpo grinned. "He has a plan."

"Of course I do."

Hastily erected, but effective barriers made from the thorny bushes that grew all over the Highlands, lined our battlements. I watched from my vantage on the next higher ledge as Rowann moved a contingent of Warriors and Healers below our position. Not a rock nor even a harsh word was tossed at them. Everything was eerily quiet.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.