The Quest For The King's Magic - Cover

The Quest For The King's Magic

Copyright© 2007 by GLSGareth

Chapter 6

The fire popped and crackled, consuming the last of the orange fish's bones.

"A good fish," I said, patting my impressive stomach. I chuckled at my now almost forgotten nickname: The Portly Poet. "Getting a bit more than Portly!"

I glanced around. Now was not the time for another surprise visitor, for inside the fish I had found something. Looking like a series of dull white rings chained together with fine mesh, it unfolded into a fingerless half glove. Not silver, it wouldn't take a mark, even from my Runed dagger. Not the same material as my gray metal Titanium gloves, somehow it felt more silken. The tiny links holding it all together looked like a piece of Lady's jewelry, but it was far too large for a woman's hand.

Trust in the Gods, I thought, and slipped off my right Titanium glove. It went on easily over my hand and when in place was almost unnoticeable. I put my glove back on, hiding it. Just in time, as the first of my party arrived.

"Well met, Gaku!" I cried, getting to my feet to slap him on the arm. "I see my letter reached you. Sometimes I wonder how Redcap trains all those boys of his to deliver letters and parcels wherever you are!"

"Yes, I got it," Gaku replied, rubbing his arm. "Why all this secrecy just to go hunting?"

"More than just a hunt, my boy," I settled back next to the fire, enjoying its warmth even though it was a warm Fall, so far. "I hope you are up for a journey."

"Where are we going?"

"Well, I kinda thought we would head north, my friend," I pointed towards the entrance to the Koguryo Valley, "Circle around Buya and see what we can find near the ice." Gaku was commenting on this, but I wasn't listening.

I had only gotten vague directions from Khadijah... north. She was depending on my hunting skills to narrow the search. "The 'taint' is greatest to the north", she had said, "If there is a source, it is that way." While I was pointing to the north, and circling my hand about in the air, I felt a distinct warming inside my Titanium glove. Exactly where the God's half glove covered.

"So, the Gods think I need help finding the source?" I thought, rubbing my chin. "I will not turn down their aid."

A small clap of displaced air announced the arrival of Blaster.

"Hello!" I called to him. "Sit down, have some fish... oh, I believe I finished it all. I am sorry."

"You stopped to fish?" Blaster stood with his fists on his hips, "The most important Quest in history looms, ready to kill all of us and steal our souls... and you go fishing?"

"Shows that I have my priorities in order, Sir Muse," I said, trying to get a rise out of the usually sober Blaster. "You worry too much. I get the feeling this Quest will be MUCH easier than we anticipate!"

"Furthermore," Oh, dear, he wasn't done, he was just stopping for air! "Why is this fellow here? I hope you are just saying good bye?"

"Of course not! Gaku is coming along!" I guffawed, thoroughly enjoying the needling I was giving Blaster. "It is a magical quest and Gaku is a Mage. He might be useful."

"Did you explain to him about the risks? We all may die." Blaster was staring off in the direction of the Chapel, perhaps recognizing the location I had chosen for the first time. He, too, had his own ghosts. This spot was a good one for such memories.

"I am not afraid to die, Sir Muse," Gaku interjected.

"You should be," Blaster said, somewhat distractedly. "Even when we get to the Sohni encampment you will be in danger."

"About the encampment, Blaster, we aren't going there." That finally drew his attention away from the Chapel.

"What are you talking about? We HAVE to go there!" Blaster was stomping around the fire. "This whole mess started right after the last Sohni invasion. We were still licking our wounds from all the Zibong swarms we fought off, when our friends started to disappear during Resurrection! There must be a connection! Besides, Khadijah said that the 'taint' was strongest to the north and the Encampment is to the Northwest!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.