Busted Axle Road
Chapter 48

Copyright ©1992, 2001, 2007

"You did an excellent job in Hawaii," McMullen said. "They've really got some problems there, don't they?"

"We could concentrate our efforts there for the next ten years, and not make a dent," Heather said. "All those Japanese buying in with big bucks, and not a one of them cares. The Japanese still have whalers out, for pete's sakes. I took a day off and went through the museum at Pearl Harbor, and I found myself wondering how we could get our hands on a torpedo."

"There's an idea," Harper agreed. "That might get some attention. Might get someone the chair, too."

"Maybe so," Heather said. "But someone might think it's worth it. There were Japanese that used to fly planes loaded with bombs into ships, back during World War II. Maybe there's someone that would give up his life to stop whaling."

"They were called 'Kamikazes', Heather," Harper informed her. "That's a heck of an idea, but it'd have to almost be a solo operator. We'd get into all kinds of trouble we don't need if we got involved with something like that."

"Besides, don't get it in your head," McMullen agreed. "We've got something else we'd like you to do instead, and it won't involve a suicide attack on a whale factory. Not quite as spectacular, but almost as important."

"Not another big donor, I hope," Heather said. The weeks she had spent in Hawaii hadn't been very nice to her. She had been out in the sun too much, and had burned, rather than tanned; she had that sort of skin, now red and angered looking. But, actually getting out in the field, even for an assessment project like she'd just finished, had been a breath of fresh air for her.

"It involves a big donor," Harper admitted. "However, we've already got the money, and the donor prefers to remain anonymous."

"This is another field job," McMullen said. "This is going to take a little longer, and there's not going to be quite the danger of getting sunburned." He went on to explain about Spearfish Lake, the snake, and the sewer system. "We've already gotten the money for the TV surveillance to the principal investigator, this Dr. Gerjevic," he explained. "But, we understand that it's going to be another couple of weeks before the surveillance can get under way. So, initially what we want you to do is to assess the whole situation. You'll have to coordinate with this Dr. Gerjevic and his field researcher on what's actually happening, then go from there."

"Is that all this is? Another assessment, without action?"

"In the beginning. However, if it looks like this sewer separation project is going to get carried through, someone is going to have to get down in the trenches. Heather, we don't have the resources to hold your hand on this, but you're a big girl, now. We're going to give you pretty much a free hand in this. Take what action you have to to protect the snake, but you'll have to be the judge of what that action is. Naturally, if it gets blown up into a snail darter thing, with national attention, we'd be pleased, but it's going to take good luck and a lot of work to make it that big."

"You're not kidding," she said.

"Now, our backer in this wants monthly progress reports," Harper added, "And the donor will be aware if something gets stirred up, so naturally, if there's a need, we want it stirred up, but I shouldn't have to tell you how hard it will be to turn this into a national story."

"Upper midwest. I'm not so sure that it wouldn't be easier to take on the Japanese whaling fleet," Heather protested.

"We're not telling you to go out there and attempt the impossible," McMullen said. "In some respects, it should be easy to protect the snake, given a little time and effort. Making a big deal out of it may not be so easy. If after a few months, there seems to be a pretty good effort at protecting the snake without much intervention from us, then we may decide not to make a big thing out of it, and just monitor the situation from time to time. If we have to make a big thing out of it, we can. If we have to back off, we'll find something else for you to do."

"But," Harper said. "If you can make a success out of this, then we'll find something more rewarding for you to do. And, maybe at some place where it doesn't get quite so cold in the winter."

"It's worth a try," Heather admitted. "For the snake, if for nothing else. If I'm going to be there for months, then I ought to clean out my apartment, and put my stuff in storage. Do you think it's safe to wait another few days?"

"Don't see any reason why not," McMullen said. "I get the impression there's no way they can break ground on the sewer system until next spring, anyway. Why don't you shoot for the first of the week?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.