In The King's Army - Cover

In The King's Army

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Chapter 13

Dev looked out the window at the city of Westford spreading out below him. Not only had he reported to the Duke here, but the Duke had been waiting for him. The King and Lord Benaldin had received the reports from Dev and the Baron, and both had been incensed.

When Dev reported to the Duke, the man had Dev taken directly to a room with a large milky looking crystal, set in a frame that stood it upright. An elderly man strode into the room, and Dev soon found himself talking first with Lord Benaldin and then with the King, himself!

It was a strange experience, knowing the people he was talking to were located all the way across the kingdom. Right now, though, he was frustrated. After reporting to the Duke, Dev was invited to stay at the castle, and the Duke would not take no for an answer.

Another thing that had him frustrated, was that the officer that had originally investigated the missing animals for the farmers, was on a mission. He would not be back for at least another week.

Dev decided to head down into the city, and look through the markets. He had spent a bit of time in this city, and he wanted to visit some of his old haunts. He wanted to visit parts of the city he had never gotten to, also.

He dressed in his best civilian clothing, and left his room. He did not place a spell on the room, as his saddlebags were already spelled for protection, and everything he deemed valuable was in the saddlebags.

He made his way out of the castle, and picked up his horse in the stables. After saddling and bridling his horse, he mounted, and was off to explore. Soon, Dev was in the middle of the merchant's quarter, and there were all sorts of things being sold here

Dev passed boot makers, tailors, and jewelers. The indoor shops soon gave way to vendors who hawked their wares from wagons, tents, and tabletops. For some reason he was most comfortable with these vendors.

While it was still winter, winter in this, the southwest part of the kingdom, was not as severe or cold. Arnu was the only large city further south, and while they had snow, it was not as much as the northern portion of the kingdom and winters were mild.

Dev was slowly walking his horse through the vendor's and peddler's section, when a voice he remembered spoke to him.

"Why, it's the young Lieutenant. How have you been, young man?" the voice from the old man quavered.

Dev reined his horse in and looked at the man. Here was the very man who had sold him the book by Telgar the mage, down south! Dev dismounted, led his horse to the table and tied the reins to the table leg.

"Well, old one, I have been fine. And yourself?" Dev asked interestedly.

"I have been well. Just traveling and checking on my family," the elderly man wheezed.

"And did you find them well?" Dev asked.

"All are well, except for one of my granddaughters. She died recently from an accident," the old man said with a sigh.

"I'm sorry. No parent should outlive their children, or grandfathers their grandchildren," Dev said, remembering something his mother had once said.

"Thank you. Now then, if you will enter my tent, I have something that might interest you, young sir," the elderly man said in a brisk voice.

Surprised at the firmer sound of his voice, Dev moved to follow the man in. Somehow, he was not surprised when he saw two stones shimmering with heat, warming the tent. The man dropped a flap across the opening and they were alone.

The elderly man seemed to shiver and stretch. He grew a little taller, and filled out a bit. Dev watched, his mouth open in amazement.

"Well met, Devlin Cantor, my grandson," the now changed man said in a firm voice.

"What? How? Who?" Dev sputtered.

"I know. It's a bit much to take in all at once. Sit down, I have a story to tell you, and it might take a while. I am Rufio Telgar," the elderly man told a still shocked Dev.

Dev moved over to one of the little stools and sat on it. The announcement that this man had just made so casually, was astonishing to him.

"It started two hundred and twelve years ago. I was having an argument with the mage council at that time. Also, I was trying to incorporate the elves and the human kingdom into a union by marriage.

"Things fell apart quickly. The Strelia royal princess was raped and killed by Duke Garwon's son, Thandran. I wanted the mages to go after Duke Garwon, but a lot of mages had been bought off, by that very man.

"I soon found myself in a mage war in the very guild halls. I could not stay though. The Elf prince Aoral Strelia had called me, and I had to go in response to his summons. I teleported to his side, and we took down Garwon castle, killing all inside," Rufio Telgar said with a heavy sigh.

" It was the most the most horrific travesty of justice I had ever taken part in; yet I had to partake of it, due to potent oaths sworn by magic. After bringing down castle Garwon, I looked at what was happening in the guild. I felt dirty, and tired. So I just left. A new King was on the throne, a strong one. I knew he would guide Darlonther through the turbulent times ahead.

"I waited, and when the guilds eyes were turned elsewhere, I took my children. I hid them, and hid them well.

"I cast as many spells as I could, to block the guild. I denied most mages and wizards access to the greater spells, and to all the new spells I discovered or created. I have to say, that was my greatest accomplishment, I think... denying the guild those spells. The only other thing I am as proud of, was getting my children away and hiding them.

"I have watched over my children, then my grandchildren, and then my great grandchildren down to your generation. Of all my great, great grandchildren, you are the only one left with that spark of magic. I had a great, great, granddaughter who had it also, but she died in the recent war, as she lived and worked in and for the kingdom of Ralm. She died in the recent battle you are so familiar with," he said sadly.

Dev felt badly for him. But he had many questions too. Such as how did he manage to live so long? If he did watch over his descendants, how did Dev's father die? He asked those and more questions.

"Your fathers death happened while I was down south. All I know is that he was killed protecting his family from supposed rogues. I have an idea that your stepfather had something to do with it, but I just can't be sure at this point.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.