Magic's Return-the Wizard - Cover

Magic's Return-the Wizard

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Chapter 2

I was at the airport, waiting to board my international flight to England. I was headed to London, to the US Embassy of all places. I had been specifically asked for, and I had no clue as to why. I mean... I had no friends stationed there, as far as I knew.

I was waiting in a private lounge, as befitted a person of my rank and station. How about that? I rated special treatment! One of the things I was told when I got there, was that while I could board the plane with my staff, I would have to place it in a special closet for magical items.

I was also asked if I had any other weapons on my person. I explained about my squirt gun filled with holy water. They asked to see it, and I had to explain that I had fought a demon recently, and a Father Clancy had given me this idea and provided the holy water for me.

It was obviously a squirt gun, and was made of clear plastic. Everyone was able to see the water in it. I was required to shoot some water onto a pad, which was tested in front of me. It came back as water. I was allowed to retain my squirt gun, as it was deemed to not be a dangerous or even a realistic imitation of a weapon.

I could understand security concerns, as there had been a rash of hijackings and explosions on planes, recently. Mundane and magical security had been used to beef up protections on all aircraft. I was not very worried really.

The flight to England was boring. I had deliberately stayed up late, and woke up early for my flight, hoping to sleep most of the way and get used to the time there. No luck. Plane seats were just not built for comfort, no matter what the advertisements claimed.

I will say that the meal served in the first class section where I was seated, was very good. Stuffed bell pepper, scalloped potatoes, corn, and a roll with butter. A beverage of your choice went with the meal, which was served on real china! I chose a Coke, as I was never much for alcohol.

The movies that were shown were: one recent release, and one older movie. They showed the newer released movie first. Many of the passengers were asleep by the time the second movie was shown.

After the plane landed, I reclaimed my staff. I deplaned, and went in search of my bag. I had only packed one bag, as I was told this trip should not last long. Still, since I was in Europe, I planned on a little site seeing. No sense in wasting a perfectly good 'government paid for trip', after all.

Just as soon as I got my bag I heard an announcement.

"Will passenger Carl Richmond, arriving on flight 120 from the US please pick up a white courtesy phone," it repeated one more time.

I found a courtesy phone, and acknowledged that I was Carl Richmond, and that I had indeed just arrived from the US. I was told to wait a moment. God I loved the British accent, particularly when done by a woman.

"Carl Richmond?" a voice asked me in a Bronx accent.

"Yes, this is Mr. Richmond," I responded.

"Blue Horse," the voice stated.

Ah, my contact from the Embassy, doing the regular cloak and dagger crap. I had been told this would happen for security and identification purposes.

"Fox Tree," I responded with the identifying counter sign.

"Good. I have a car and will meet you at right outside the doors where the international passengers exit. Look for a blue Cadillac Escalade with Embassy plates," the voice told me.

I acknowledged his instructions and he hung up. Not even a goodbye! Sheesh. Gripping my staff tighter and carrying my bag, I headed for the door. As I stepped outside, I took a deep breath of air. So this is what England smelled like.

I looked around and spotted my ride, easily enough. There was a man sitting in the driver compartment, and another one standing outside of the vehicle, talking with a policeman. A Bobbie, I think they were called in England.

I headed to the car and the man standing outside looked at me hard then nodded.

"Wizard Richmond, I recognize you by your photo. I am Walter Stone. I will be your escort to the embassy and I will take you to the section you need to go, Let me get your bag," he said taking it from me and opening the back of the Escalade and dropping it inside.

We got in and left the airport.

"I am the assistant to the military attaché at the embassy. He will be your direct supervisor during your stay here. Welcome to England, Wizard Richmond," Stone said then went silent.

I guess he was told not to talk with me, as he and the driver both didn't have anything to say. I shrugged mentally and took in the sites. England from the little I saw was a very unique place. It seemed every house we passed was connected to the house next to it.

Nowhere did I see a house standing alone, with grass in the front yard. I guess space was at a premium here, that's the only thing I could think of to explain building the way they did.

Still, it gave the neighborhoods we drove through a certain style. I glanced at Walter and he seemed lost in thought. I tried to make conversation, but he just replied with monosyllabic answers.

We finally arrived at the embassy, and were waived through the gate. We pulled around the side of the building, and into a garage. As we got out of the car, Walter went and retrieved my bag for me.

Once we entered the embassy, we were stopped. Our identification cards were checked, and my bag was gone through. I was asked to leave my staff with their security. I asked them why, and they said it was standard procedure.

We made it through security minus my wizard's staff, and I was beginning to feel a little angry at being separated from my property like this. Did they really think I was going to go on a rampage or something? For that matter, I could do strong magic without my staff if it came to that. Idiots.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.