The Freiburg Project - Cover

The Freiburg Project

Copyright© 2007 by Robin Pentecost

Chapter 28

Mystery Sex Story: Chapter 28 - A young, successful architect, who lives in a nudist village in the south of France, pulls her life together after her husband's suicide. She wins a major project and things begin to happen. (Mystery/Thriller, no explicit sex)

Caution: This Mystery Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Romantic  

Helen awoke early, feeling restless. She lay for a moment, thinking about Sandy and last night's declaration. "Did I really say that? Did I mean it?"

Not sure she was ready to face that, she got up and took another shower, washing her hair and setting the drier down just as the phone rang. It was Johannes.

"Hi, glad you're up. I didn't wake you?... Good. I've ordered breakfast here in my room. Can you come soon?"

"Yes, I'm just out of the shower. I just have to put some clothes on."

"See you soon."

Johannes and Rummy were drinking coffee when she walked in, Rummy poured for her, and she attacked the tray of rolls and wurst with appetite. After a few moments, they began to talk business.

"How's Dumont?" Rummy asked.

Johannes said, "The hospital says he's fine, no concussion or anything long-term. Just a few bruises. I've got a local policeman keeping an eye on him, and we can pick him up on our way out." He caught Rummy's look and added, "He's not under arrest, but I think a little protective custody won't hurt."

"Johannes," Helen began, "I think it was me they were after on the road last night, not you or Dumont."

"How do you figure that?"

"I was driving that car when we got to the job site, Johannes. My guess is, they had a spotter. When Dumont's car blew, they must have thought they'd gotten him and pulled back out of sight. They waited until 'my' car came out and went after it. That's my theory, anyway."

"You may be right, Helen. I had been thinking they were still after Dumont, but on the other hand, I'm not sure why they'd be after you."

Rummy intervened, "I've been wondering that all along, since that first attack. Were they after both of us, or one of us? It's pretty clear the ladder was a general warning, though after the Bagger I don't know why they bothered with a warning. If the re-bar wasn't an accident, she is a target. Given the amount of macho attitudes we've come across — nothing really unusual, of course — I'd have thought they'd be after me. Most of those guys would assume she's just my gofer."

Thoughtfully, Helen suggested, "Well, the only place where I've been the bad guy — maybe bitch is more appropriate — is just a bit with Schellen — nailing him to the wall on this contract, which I really think he didn't mind — and with Sauter. Sauter was really ticked when I threw him off the job site. Of course, it may not make a difference."

"It could make a difference," Johannes said. "It really depends on who's calling the shots."

"How's that?" Rummy asked.

"Well, if it were Sauter himself, or Schellen, I could see how one of them might target Helen. But if it were someone outside the deal, a contract enforcer, for example, they'd be more likely to go for Rummy, just because he's the big male," Johannes grinned.

"So, you don't think Dumont's a major item, here." Helen said.

"No. I think they've written him off. At least they really tried. Whoever wired that bomb screwed up. It shouldn't have gone off until he was inside the car and turned the ignition switch."

"I'm no fan of Dumont, but I'm glad they did screw up." Rummy said into his coffee cup.

"So am I, but in my case, it's also because it will make my life easier," Johannes said. "I just hope he isn't too scared to be a cooperating witness."

Helen's mobile sang its song, and she looked at the display.

"It's Hans Schellen. Shall I... ?"

Johannes nodded and Helen answered. "M Schellen, good morning."

In the earpiece, Schellen's voice said, "Mme Wallace, what is going on? What has happened to M Dumont? I have had an hysterical call from Madame Dumont that he has been the victim of a bomb and is in hospital. What is going on there? Are you in Freiburg?"

"Yes, I am. I was there when it happened. M Schellen, last night at the job site, when Paul went to unlock his car, it exploded. He was not in the car — it blew up when he used his central locking remote — and he was not injured. However, when we were driving back to the hotel, the car he was in was run off the road. He is in hospital, but he is all right, not seriously injured." Helen nodded as Johannes signaled her. "M Schellen, please hold a moment, someone here wants to speak to you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.