Deputy Marshal - Cover

Deputy Marshal

Copyright© 2007 by aubie56

Chapter 2

"Jeb, do either you or Josh know how to handle a shotgun?"

"No, neither one of us ever fired any sort of gun."

"OK, we'd better get you fixed up with some, then. Let's find a gun shop and see what we can do. You're going cross country with that there mining equipment, so you'll need some way to protect the oxen. Back on the train, we weren't bothered by wolves and such, but you might be, being that you'll be a lone wagon."

"Josh, tell your sister that we'll be gone for a while, if you please."

Josh stuck his head in the back door and yelled, "HEY, MARTHA! EDDY, JEB AND I WILL BE GONE FOR A WHILE. WE'LL BE BACK FOR SUPPER."

Eddy grinned and said, "Josh, that wasn't what I had in mind. I didn't want you to tell the whole town our business."

"Oh, sorry."

"Let's drop by the jail and ask the marshal if he has any ideas where we can find the shotguns we need."

The walked to the jail and found the marshal. "Mike, these two boys are going cross country tomorrow using our wagon and oxen to haul some freight. I thought they needed a shotgun or two for protection. What do you think?"

"You're certainly right. This ain't no country to go messing about. Between the wild animals and wild men, everybody needs protection. What you got in mind?"

"Well, since neither one is experienced with guns, I figured that shotguns would be best. That way, they don't have to be as accurate and they can reload with shells instead of powder and shot. Do you know where I could come up with a couple of shotguns and shells without paying too much?"

"Check with Aaron Solomon. He has a gun shop three doors down. Tell him I sent you and who you are. He might be able to make you a deal."

"Thanks, Mike. We'll go see him now."

They walked down to the gun shop and waited while the gunsmith dealt with another customer. "Hello, Mr. Solomon. I'm Eddy Johnson, the new deputy marshal. Marshal O'Malley said I should see you about some guns we need."

"Ain't you the fellow who fixed Big Jake last night?"

"Yes, sir, I am. Why?"

"Because that bastard has made life hard for me ever since I came to Sacramento, and I'd like to shake your hand! Now, what do you need?"

Eddy explained that Jeb and Josh were starting up a freight hauling business with him and they needed some protection for the two boys while they hauled freight cross country. "I figured that shotguns would be the best bet, but we don't have much money to spend."

"You're sure right, there. Shotguns can't be beat for protection, though they ain't quite fashionable. I've got some used shotguns that I could let you have real cheap. They show some wear, but they're fine guns, just the same."

"Used guns are fine. Do you think these two young men could handle 12-gauge?"

"Oh, I'm sure they could. I've got three double-barreled 12-gauge guns you can look at. Just a minute and I'll get them from the back."

{2 minutes later}

"Here they are. Take your pick."

"Josh, you and Jeb see which ones you like."

The two boys fiddled around with the three guns for a while and finally selected two with 26-inch barrels. The guns fit comfortably and were just the right weight. "Well, Mr. Solomon, they seem to have made their choices. How much do I owe you?"

"Tell you what. Since you did such a good job on Big Jake, I'll let you have the guns for what I paid for them and I'll throw in 20 shells for each gun. You can have the whole kit and caboodle for $5."

"Why, Mr. Solomon, that's down right generous of you. Thank you very much."

Eddy paid and they walked out of the store. "You guys listen carefully. I'm telling you not to load those shotguns and to carry them broken open on your way home. We'll talk about you shooting them when I see you tomorrow morning. Now, go home. It's time for me to start work."

The boys left for home and Eddy walked into the jail. Mike said, "Since you're here a little early, I'm going to take off a little early. My wife has fixed a special supper and I can't wait to get to it. I'll see you tomorrow. Good night."

Since it wasn't 7:00 o'clock yet, most stores hadn't closed, so Eddy sat down to wait a few minutes before starting his rounds. He had hardly sat down when the swamper from The Gold Dust Saloon burst in and shouted, "MARSHALL, COME QUICK! THERE'S A BIG FIGHT AT THE GOLD DUST!"

"OK, lead the way! I'm right behind you!" Eddy grabbed up his shotgun and ran with the swamper to the saloon. He had the good sense not to run into the saloon without knowing what was going on inside, first. Eddy came to a halt and looked around the door jamb to see what was going on. Five men were standing in the middle of the room slugging away at each other. Three men were on the floor, bleeding from scalp wounds, and a lot of spectators were gathered around egging the fighters on to greater effort. The din was terrific!

Eddy yelled for quiet several times without result. Finally, he pointed his shotgun at the ceiling and fired one shot. This got everybody's attention and the fighting stopped. The crowd stopped yelling and everybody turned to look at Eddy.

Eddy turned to the swamper and ordered, "Get a doctor for those injured men."

The swamper ran out and Eddy turned back to the combatants. "OK, what's going on here?"

All the fighters and some of the spectators started talking at once. Eddy shouted, "SHUT UP! ONE AT A TIME! YOU, WHAT HAPPENED?"

The man he pointed to said, "Those four bastards jumped on poor Tommy and we ran over to defend him."

At this, Eddy said, "OK, split up into the two sides so I can keep you straight."

The men formed two groups, one with two men and the other with three. Eddy pointed to one of the other group and said, "OK, you tell me how it started."

"I was sitting with my friends drinking my beer when that little shit leaned on my shoulder and vomited all over me. I pushed him back before he could vomit in my beer. The next thing I know, three galoots jumped me and my friends came to help me. That's when the fighting started."

"OK, where's the bartender?"

Several people pointed to one of the men on the floor. About this time, a doctor showed up and started examining the injured men. The bartender started coming to life and roared out, "STOP FIGHTING RIGHT NOW!" This brought on a big laugh from the crowd, even a couple of the former combatants.

The doctor looked at Eddy and said, "None of these men are seriously hurt. The blood is from minor scalp wounds that don't even need sewing up. They'll have headaches, but that's all. I'll send my bill to the saloon in the morning. Good night."

Eddy looked at the bartender and said, "I'm the deputy marshal. I don't see any real damage. Do you want to prefer charges?"

"No, forget it. Thanks for coming to help. We'll just chalk this up as the night's entertainment."

"OK, keep a lid on the fighting and I'll just look the other way. Good night," said Eddy as he headed back to the jail.

He had reloaded his shotgun, so he was ready to start his rounds as soon as he checked out the office. Nothing untoward happened on his tour, so he lay down to catch some sleep. The alarm woke him for his second round, which was also uneventful, so he lay down to finish his night's sleep.

Mike came in as he was sweeping up the office and asked if anything interesting happened during the night. "No, nothing important. There was a little dust up at one of the saloons, but that settled down with nobody getting hurt and I didn't have to lock anybody up. Can I go now; I'm kind of hungry."

"Sure, go ahead. I'll see you tonight."

When Eddy got home, he was met at the door by Martha, who said, "Your breakfast is ready and warm on the stove. Do you think you might have some time for me this morning?"

Eddy pulled her into an affectionate hug and said, "You bet I do. Let me calm my stomach with some food and I'll be ready!"

Martha sat down and said, "Jeb and Josh have left with the wagon and Ma has gone to the market, so we have the house to ourselves. Let's make the most of it. I ain't felt you in a week and I'm lonely." She grinned and Eddy started eating faster.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.