Surviving 3
Chapter 28: Ship ahoy!

Copyright© 2007 by Scotland-the-Brave

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 28: Ship ahoy! - Scott mac Fergus rides again! God help the Norsemen and the English - and any desirable women he comes across!

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Romantic   Science Fiction   Time Travel   Anal Sex  

The winter of 890/891 AD was a severe one, with heavy snows and bitter gale force winds sweeping the country. The depth of the snow, particularly the drifts, pretty much locked things down. Gabrain did put together a dog team with his trusty Wolf, but that could only be for fun and he had to keep within close reach of the town.

The lead up to the St Andrew's Day celebrations felt muted. Lots of activities were planned and there was a frenzy of activity as usual, but the cold, biting wind somehow dampened spirits. Nothing dampens the spirits of the young however, and the Inveraray children lifted the mood remarkably, as they threw themselves into the various games and challenges that had been laid on.

By the time the afternoon was drawing into evening and the children were being readied for bed, tired, but happy, the adults had caught the excitement and a buzz began to go round the town. The girls had worked on possibly their most elaborate play yet and the townspeople were eagerly looking forward to this part of the night.

The specialists once more played and sang in the hall-house, many of them now married to ninth-century girls and with children of their own. They had become completely integrated into the community and their efforts were recognised by all - both in terms of their developments, but also the advanced teaching that they were undertaking.

The small band had been rehearsing for the night and they played a range of Scottish folk songs, but also a number of twenty-first century songs that they had arranged especially for the occasion.

A number of the recently qualified, older children, also put on a display of Highland dancing, pipers skirling and the girls dancing nimbly between the crossed blades of two claymores laid on the floor. This was highly energetic and it has to be said the men in the audience were very appreciative of all the young breasts that were jiggling delightfully.

The girls' play began with a re-creation of their own wedding day, which segued into a tour of Scotland to represent their honeymoon. Some of the children had created huge canvas backdrops depicting some of Scotland's most dramatic scenery and the bright colours helped to dispel the misery of the cold winter's night even further.

The honeymoon gave way and two well-muscled young men appeared out of the darkness. These two were clearly a representation of St Columba and St Andrew and they led a small group of Scots into the area that was cleared and lit, immediately in front of the hall.

Two lines of people came forward out of the darkness and approached the Saints and the Scots. The audience identified these as Saxons and Vikings, some of them appearing hungry and weak, others obviously ill. As the people in the lines reached the Saints they were blessed and the Scots behind the Saints dispensed food or treated those who were in need of it. As the people passed the Scots the Saxons and Vikings began to mingle together, talking and clasping arms, no sign of enmity between them.

This was a different paced play from what the girls had devised before, but all could see that they were portraying the path that Scotland had stepped out on, helping their neighbours with food, medicine and fostering peace. Overall the play helped the people of Inveraray feel good about themselves and what their country was trying to achieve. Once more the girls were delighted that their efforts had achieved everything they had set out to.


As always for Scott, the wintertime was a time for reflection and review, a time for considering how things were going and projecting forward into the coming year. There were high hopes that the power station would come on-line in the spring and he believed that one event would hasten progress dramatically.

Sigurd had been true to his word and the supply of ore from various countries had increased significantly. The Norse had also dealt with the renegade band that had been assailing Ireland, bringing peace to that island too. Scott's teams had been established throughout the Mediterranean and North Africa and he hoped they would begin to ship ingots of metal rather than ore in the coming year.

The specialists were once again running sandwich courses to train additional experts over the winter months and there was almost an embarrassment of riches in terms of the trained people that were going to be available. When these were added to the growing stockpile of raw materials and the advent of electrical power, Scott felt buoyant about the prospects for a step increase in what would be achieved.

The new ship was also nearing completion, but the retired Royal Navy Captain who was leading the project was trying to hold off on the launch in the hope that the more modern, and more powerful engines could be manufactured and fitted.

The one area that bothered Scott was whether the peace between the English and the Danes would hold. He knew a weak part of that position was the possibility that more and more Danes would arrive from the continent, swelling the ranks of the Vikings to the point that they felt able to renew the conflict.

His hopes were that the advantages that Guthrum was experiencing would lead to the existing Danes resisting any newcomers, but that might be a faint hope. Scott discussed the position with Gabrain, Lachlan and Mac, with all agreeing this was a weak point in their plans.

"Why not do something to stop more Vikings going to England then father." Said young Crinan.

The adults on the balcony of Scott's house stopped and looked at the young boy.

"I think you might have something there Crinan, perhaps we could use the new ship in some kind of demonstration, make it clear that any further migration is not welcome." Said Scott.

"Is that really our decision to make your Grace?" Asked Mac. "Can we appear benevolent on the one hand by fostering peace and development and then the dictator on the other by stopping people's free movement?"

"I think Crinan has the rights of it. Another influx of Danes would undo all that we managed to achieve this past autumn. We would not be stopping the Danes from looking for new lands, just from choosing England." Said Lachlan.

"I think you're merely splitting hairs Lachlan. We either stop free movement or we don't. There are no degrees involved in dictating to people." Said Gabrain.

"Well, we can either stop the migration or else risk fighting a bigger Viking army with the risk of Scots blood being shed. Which would you prefer Mac?" Asked Scott.

There was quite a deep, almost philosophical discussion about the rights and wrongs of taking action in this way, but eventually they all agreed that a demonstration of some kind was probably the best option for Scotland and England.


A large crowd was gathered at the Oban harbour to watch the launch of the first ever metal ship. It has to be said that many of the locals still had significant doubts about this and fully expected the large structure to sink rather than float. The ship was about one hundred feet long and had the name SS Dalriada painted on its bow.

A series of huge metal chains attached to large stone blocks had been constructed to act as a drag factor once the ship was allowed to slide down the launch-way towards the bay.

In a nod towards the custom in his own time, Scott had arranged for Tara to launch the ship by swinging a bottle of wine so that it smashed against the ship's side.

"I name this ship the Scottish Ship Dalriada, " she said loudly, "God bless her and all who sail in her."

The crowd held their collective breath as the ship began to lurch towards the bay and into the water. When it became clear that it was indeed going to remain afloat there was a huge cheer, the tension coming out through the screaming.

Tara had lobbied Scott hard to be allowed to captain the new ship. At first he had thought the man who had led the project would be the captain, but he had declined, suggesting that that would be a job for a younger person. Tara had spent a considerable amount of time with the man as the project was progressing, assimilating a lot of his knowledge about modern ships and modern naval tactics.

Eventually Scott caved in and agreed Tara could have the command. There were few options left in any event after the ship's designer had declined the opportunity. The plan he had in mind for the Dalriada's maiden voyage was one that would certainly allow her to get the feel of her new charge.

The ship was red as planned and a set of huge shark's teeth had been painted on the bow for added effect. Scott and all his wives were rowed out to the side and they climbed up a ladder to the deck. The crew was formed up to receive their new captain and the Ard Righ. Gabrain, Lachlan, Mac, and some sabre troops also climbed aboard.

Tara made her way to the bridge and took command. The first order of business was to take the ship out for some sea trials to prove her abilities and sea worthiness.

"All ahead at half speed First Mate." She said, as if she had been doing it all her life.

"Uhmmm, I'm sorry captain, but it will be a few days before we can fire up the engines and take her for sea trials." Replied the mate.

This was a big disappointment for Tara, but she realised the wisdom of it and curbed her impatience.

A tour of the ship was organised and Scott and his party were treated to the sight of the huge steam engines, the various guns and the relatively spacious crew accommodation. With regret Tara agreed to join Scott back on dry land to await the clearance to take the ship out. It was clear she had already fallen in love with her new baby.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.