Surviving 3 - Cover

Surviving 3

Copyright© 2007 by Scotland-the-Brave

Chapter 19: Meeting King Alfred!

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 19: Meeting King Alfred! - Scott mac Fergus rides again! God help the Norsemen and the English - and any desirable women he comes across!

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Romantic   Science Fiction   Time Travel   Anal Sex  

Scott received a strange message from Lachlan by carrier pigeon. Lachlan explained that he was escorting hundreds of Saxons north to assist with Scott's building projects. That was not strange in an of itself, but what was strange was that the majority of the Saxons were not motivated by the former 'prisoners' but rather by a desire to escape marauding Vikings.

Closer scrutiny of the dead at the battle in Galloway also showed that it was in fact a strange looking type of Norsemen that Scott had been fighting, not Saxons as they had assumed. The 'volunteers' that Lachlan was bringing had explained that the whole of Northumbria was now awash with Vikings. Some three hundred ships had landed on the Northumbrian coast and the fact that the Norse had brought their women and children indicated that this was a very serious bid to settle in the area.

Scott was appalled. This meant that thirty five or forty thousand Norsemen had just landed on his southern border, Norsemen clearly hungry for land. He hoped the defeat in Galloway would give them pause for thought. Certainly his decision not to allow a pursuit of those fleeing the battle meant that over three thousand would return to their camps with news of the Scots strength.

He discussed the latest intelligence with the Colonel and they agreed it would be prudent to have a network established along the border to warn them of any threats. The Colonel had been training riflemen in small teams of four, the classic Special Air Service sabre team, and he proposed twenty five of these should be deployed along the entire border from east to west coast, from the Cheviot Hills to the Solway.

"Colonel, I don't have to tell you that this is a significant threat. That many Vikings can only be bad news and they will be displacing Saxons who will be looking for somewhere to go. The Saxons might be a blessing in disguise if they are willing to work on our infrastructure projects, but the Norse bother me."

"You don't think Sigurd has got anything to do with this do you?" Asked MacKelvie.

"No, his wife explained that Norway was seriously overcrowded and had little productive land. I think this is more likely just to be a natural consequence of that, people looking for somewhere they can survive. As ever the Norse way is just to take what they want by brute strength, the Saxons on the receiving end this time. Rest assured that it won't be long before they're probing outwards from these Northumbrian bases, looking for even more territory."

"Well Sire, if that is the case at least the teams that I'm sending out will give us ample warning."

Scott sent messengers to meet the group that was escorting the 'refugee' Saxons, advising them to bring their charges onward to Inveraray. These would prove useful for his father's project, providing much needed labour for the building of the hydroelectric plant.

Scott's belief that Sigurd was not involved with the Norse invasion of Northumbria was borne out when two transport ship docked at Oban only a week or so later. These proved to be the ships he had gifted to Sigurd to assist in the transportation of ore, loaded down with a cargo of an orange-red rock.

Donald the geologist identified the ore as containing lead and chromium (Crocoite) and explained to Scott it would need careful treatment to extract the metals from it, the details of how to do that were only vaguely known to him and one of the scientists was called for to give advice.

"It will need to be treated with hydrochloric acid first your Grace, then heated in an oven with sand to extract what we need." The scientist explained. "This is unusual, normally we would look to get chromium from chromite, an ore where iron and chromium are together."

Scott was pleased that he now had the specialists to call on to give precise and easy to understand answers. He could remember not so long ago he would have been asking these kind of questions of one of the alchemists and he wouldn't have received such a response. He knew that the chromium was vital if he was going to be able to manufacture stainless steel so this shipment from Sigurd was welcome indeed.

Once the ships were unloaded Scott gave orders to load up a shipment of cookers and toilets to be delivered to Orkney as payment for the ore. He thought it would be worthwhile demonstrating early on what benefits Sigurd could expect if he continued to send the materials he had asked for.

Another message arrived from Lachlan to inform Scott that he was personally on his way to Inveraray, bringing with him and intriguing envoy from the south. The message was brief and gave no other details, but it had Scott curious. It must be important if it was bringing Lachlan to Dalriada.

Two days later a ship arrived at Inveraray and Lachlan came striding into the settlement, a Saxon trailing in his wake.

"Lachlan! Well met my friend, it is good to see you again after so long."

"Your Grace," said Lachlan, bowing, "I bring with me an envoy who claims to come from the King of all the Saxons. He was found wandering in Galloway, claiming he had messages for the Norse-slayer."

Scott switched to speaking English and addressed the man at Lachlan's side.

"What is your name my Saxon friend and what is your mission?"

"I am Alfrith my Lord and I am looking for he that is called the Norse-slayer. I bear messages from King Alfred, King of all the Saxons."

"Do you indeed? Well your quest is at an end my friend for I am Scott mac Fergus, sometimes known as the Norse-slayer. Come. Let us show you some highland hospitality and you can share your message with me."

Scott turned and led off towards the hall-house, calling for some meat and drink to be served. Once they were seated at a table, plates of hot beef and beakers of ale were set in front of them and Scott once more turned to the Saxon.

"So my friend, why does King Alfred seek out the Norse-slayer?"

"My Lord..."

Lachlan interrupted the Saxon brusquely.

"Would you refer to your King Alfred as 'my Lord' Saxon? No? Well address the Ard Righ as your Grace or Sire. We can at least teach you some manners while you're with us!"

"Easy Lachlan my friend, I have no need to insist on such. Come my friend, be not put off by Lachlan's concern for my honour, continue with your tale."

"Thank you,... err Sire, I was asked by King Alfred to seek you out and to plead for your assistance on his behalf. There have been many Danes landings on our coasts and the entire south of our country is under threat."

"More of the Norse dogs! By the saints how many of these accursed Vikings are there? I swear they breed like rats."

"Not Norse Sire, these are Danes, different. We have known raiding for many years Sire, even made peace with some of the Danes who established camps on our southern shores, but in this last year things have changed. Not only do we suffer their murderous assaults, many more of the Danes are now arriving, looking to establish settlements. They bring their women and children and seem to be bent on taking large swathes of our country for their own."

"How many are we talking about my friend and where are they now?" Asked Scott.

"Many thousands Sire, Devon, Wiltshire and Exeter are all but being overrun by them. Another group seem to have taken Northumbria and we are beset now from both north and south."

Scott could see that Scotland would face its own trouble from these Danes at some point. He was thinking furiously as to where Scotland's best interest might lie on this issue and all the answers he was coming up with suggested joining forces with this Alfred to fight the Danes would be his best course of action.

"My friend, I'm sure Alfred didn't send you here to simply share the news of his troubles. What is he looking for from the Norse-slayer?"

"Sire your reputation is known, your success against Vikings legend. You and your people are native to this land, not invaders. Alfred seeks your aid in turning back this tide of Danes."

"And why should I do that? It's not so long ago that Saxons were lording it over my Scots in Ayrshire and Galloway, aye and attacking my own lands in Fife!"

Scott had already made up his mind that it would be in his own interests to assist Alfred, but he was interested in finding out how desperate the man was, what he was willing to offer to secure Scott's help.

"Sire, Scotland would be much the safer with this threat removed. Alfred believes they will not settle for parts of the land, rather they will look to have it all. He has authorised me to assure you that he will cede Northumbria to Scotland if you help him rid us of the Danes. In addition he will agree to a treaty between our countries, an agreement to help each other against any Viking threat."

Scott tried to keep the surprise off of his face. Northumbria was a huge area and Alfred must really be suffering if he was willing to offer it up so easily. His memory of history suggested that ownership of Northumbria had been disputed between Scotland and England and he wondered if that stemmed from this period. The offer of a treaty was tempting. He would like to be able to focus his attentions on development rather than warfare and a treaty with Alfred could help with that. He also knew that the south of England had many of the raw materials he needed and a treaty could encompass a trade agreement.

"There is much to think on here my friend. I will have to discuss Alfred's request with my lords and friends. Meanwhile you can enjoy the hospitality Inveraray has to offer."

The Saxon nodded agreement and Scott and Lachlan went in search of Gabrain and the Colonel. The four friends gathered in Scott's house and he explained what the Saxon messenger had offered on Alfred's behalf.

"How say you my friends, should we ride to the aid of this Saxon King?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.