The Kids From Folden - Cover

The Kids From Folden

Copyright© 2007 by Flighttime

Chapter 4

Before the mechanical manipulation of gravity, there had been no up or down in space and therefore all sides of the large cylindrical shaped main module of Alpha Station were used for equipment and scientific instruments. Since the invention of gravity regulators in the early twenty-first century, the main module of Alpha Station had been modified to accommodate them. Now, a floor ran the length of the room so it resembled something more like the control room on a large ship.

The group stood in the open doorway. A look of horror, with a little bit of revulsion mixed in, was on all their faces.

"Oh my god." Mavis' mouth hung open as she surveyed a scene in front of her that looked more like an old west saloon after a brawl.

Old equipment was strewn and scattered about the floor as large braids of open conduit hung off the walls and lay around in twisted heaps.

"It's a sty of pig," said Yavi.

"Some might call it a pig-sty," Garth corrected her. "But it's the best sty we have."

"That's it. I'm going back and wait in the bus." Tasha turned and started to make a motion to open the outer door when Garth stopped her.

"I don't think so Tasha. The Beast is much too unstable. Besides there's a lot of other places that I'm sure aren't as bad looking as this. Come on gang, let's see what we've got."

Garth moved the group through the door and into the main control room. It was cold and their breath condensed in the frigid air as they exhaled.

The control room was about forty-five feet long and fifteen feet wide. With the sub-floor, it was about eight feet to the top of the cylinder. The computer console and related equipment took up one whole side of the module. They all spread out and began inspecting the room and poking around the debris.

"God, it's fffreezing in here. Is it gonna stay this cold?" Ethan beat his arms around himself trying warm up.

"Ethan, the place has been turned off for who knows how long. You'd be ice cold too if they tossed you in space and shut you down," responded Alex.

"Whata' dump," said Tasha as she moved a piece of equipment out of the way.

Jody up righted a chair, and sat down. "I don't know, I kinda like it here. Reminds me of home."

Tasha looked at him with disbelief. "This," she gestured to the module, "reminds you of your home?"

"Well, a little. We... have the same kind of chairs."

Garth inspected the main computer console.

"So, this is what grandpa talked about all those years. Well, you don't look any too special to me," he muttered.

Yavi and Farhad walked up beside him. "This is the special computer your Grandfather worked on?" said Farhad.

"It does not look any different to me. Just standard Umax Three Thousand," Yavi said rather matter-of-factly.

"The way it looks now, it's hard to tell anything about it, but this is what he said was special." Garth looked at the empty place in the communications panel where the hyperband radio had been and then at the status readout. "It also looks like that Scrapper got the transmission antenna and anything else we might use to call for help." He examined a little closer. It looks like you have some kind of receivers still intact though. Doesn't do us much good.

Garth moved to the center of the room.

"Everybody listen up." He called to the group, who stopped their poking around and focused on him. "Looks like we're flying solo for a while. Unfortunately, the transmission antenna and the radio are gone, so we can't call for help, but everything is more or less copasetic. We got air and power," he unzipped his jacket, "and it feels like the heat's coming up. Let's try and make the best of it while we're here. Here's an assignment I know someone will like. Ethan, why don't you find the galley and see what there is to eat?"

"Skizmoid! All right. Yes sir." Ethan beamed and did a mock salute.

"Mavis go with him and try to keep him under control."

"Aye, aye Garth. I'll do my best."

"The rest of you can try to clean up this place a bit and then see what the living quarters are like, just in case we actually have to stay here that long. I'm going out to analyze the Yellow Beast and with any luck I'll have us outta here faster than Haley's comet. Alex, you're in charge."

"You got it Garth," replied Alex.

Garth turned and started for the airlock. Farhad and Yavi looked at each other and then followed on his heels. As he approached the door, he looked up, sensing their presence behind him and turned. "What's up guys?"

"Mr. Garth you will need our help fixing the bus."

"Who knows how it works better than us," said Farhad.

"I do," exclaimed Garth. "You forget, I am an engineer, albeit an unemployed one."

"But Garth, you need us," Farhad pleaded.

"Of course I do." He looked over at the main computer console for a moment. "You know what? That computer is different than anything you've ever worked on before. Why don't you see if you can get it running again?"

Yavi and Farhad looked at each other curiously, then at Garth and together said, "Why?"

Garth knew this would be a tough sell, but he also knew the way to their hearts.

"Because, like I told you, my grandfather was working on some special hardware and microprocessor changes before they forced him to abandon the station. And if anyone can figure it out, you two braniacs can."

Farhad hesitated, skeptical, "I don't know, Garth."

"Well, if you think it's too tough for you..." Garth laid it on.

"Wait, second one, Mr. Garth." Yavi grabbed Farhad and took him aside whispering to him. After a small moment they turned back. "Okay, Mr. Garth we will make it work."

"That's my geniuses. Bang on the door if you need me." He punched the airlock button, which immediately opened and he passed through with it closing right behind him.


Yavi and Farhad walked over to the main console and stared at the tangled monstrosity in front of them.

"What do you think Farhad? Should we start with system interface?"

"No, Yavi. I think we go right to the main power supply and see how that's doing. Let's get started."

Farhad reached into his bag and pulled out his tool-pouch, as did Yavi. They both crawled under the console.

Yavi pulled out her Pocket Pal and punched some of the keys. "Here's the schematic for Umax logic boards."

Farhad moved close to Yavi and looked at the graphic display on the screen with her.

"Here's where the main electric runs through the chip interface. You're lucky to still have yours, Yavi."

"Don't worry Far. It is just a computer. You know you can use mine when you want." Yavi smiled at her friend.

"Yeah, I know. Thanks Yavi."

"You two think you're gonna get that thing running again?" Tasha asked in a mocking tone.

"We have nothing to lose by trying," said Farhad.

"It's a challenge. Who knows what Mr. Garth's grandfather was doing to it?"

Ethan turned to Alex. "Alex we're gonna go find some food."

"Great. I hope it's still intact. Bring back something good."

"Yeah, try not to eat it all first," added Tasha as she looked through one of the storage bins.

Ethan scrunched his face mocking her and in a baby voice said, "Try not to eat it all first."

He then turned to Mavis talking normally said, "Come on, Mavis. Let's go find the galley."

"As long as we don't have to listen to her anymore."

Tasha heard what Mavis said and clenched her fists, angry at herself for saying anything. Why do I do that all the time? She thought to herself.

Mavis and Ethan walked to the opposite end of the module where there were two access doors, one on each side.

"Which way, Ethan?"

"Hmmm." Ethan looked from one door to the other, and then sniffed the air. "This way I think." he pointed to the right side door.

"You're amazing. You can smell the galley through an airlock door?"

Ethan pressed the button on the panel next to the door. "Years of practice, Mavis. Years of practice."

The door opened with a small rush of air.

"If you're nice to me I'll show you how it's done."

"That's okay Eeth. It's one of the unique things I like most about having you for a brother."

They walked through the door, which closed automatically behind them.

Tasha, dejected, walked to a corner of the module, picked up a chair and sat down looking out the window.

Alex and Jody were picking up and trying to straighten things when Alex looked over at Tasha sitting by herself. Jody followed Alex's stare. "What do you think's going on with Tasha, Alex. I mean, why can't she ever seem to say anything nice?"

"I don't know. That's just the way she is. I guess I should go talk to her."

"I think she might like that. After all, Garth does call you the diplomat."

"All right. I'll give it a shot." Alex walked over to where Tasha was sitting, pulled up a chair and sat down next to her. He looked out the porthole, paralleling her gaze.

The Earth was partially visible in the distance-about the size of a basketball held at arms length obscured by myriad pieces of junk in close view.

"Hey Tash, how ya doin'?"

"What do you care?" She stopped and turned to him, shaking her head. "I'm sorry Alex. I... I don't know why I say things like that."

"None of us do. We just see you be mean."

"My Mom says I gotta be tough. That no one's gonna give you an inch, you gotta take it."

"What about your dad?"

"That jerk? He left us long ago. It's been just me and my mom since I was four."

"I'm sorry Tash. I guess that must hurt."

"Nah. It doesn't bother me that much. We do just fine."

Alex watched Jody mope around the far end of the module, pull out his Pocket Pal and stare at the small screen, his face slack and expressionless. He suddenly, angrily slapped shut the small computer and shoved it in his back pocket.

"I think Jody's mom and dad are breaking up. Only he won't talk about it."

This surprised Tasha and she glanced over at Jody. "Really? I met his mom a couple times. She seemed like a really nice lady." She went back to looking out the porthole. "My mom just seems angry all the time." Tasha realized that she had let Alex get to her and find out more than he should have. "Look Alex, I'm just fine. I like the way I am and I'm not gonna change for anyone right now."

Alex understood volumes about Tasha with what she had just said. Even though she seemed to go back to her nasty self, it softened his attitude toward her, making him feel sorry for her and allowing him a little more leeway in how he dealt with her.

Alex went back over to Jody.

"Come on Jodes, help me clean some of this up."

"Sure Alex." He picked up some boxes and stacked them. "So how'd that go?"

"About as well as I expected. I learned a little more than I did before though. But enough about her. What's going on with you? How's your Dad?"

"I haven't heard from him since we went to the Gravity Ball finals last month. He got a job on Luna after he moved out."

"Yeah, I remember you telling me that. How's your sister doin?"

"She's only four Alex. She doesn't get it yet."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right. Here, help me with this?"

They up-righted an overturned table together and Alex sat down.

"What's going on with your Pocket Pal?"

Jody followed him and took a seat on the opposite side of the table.

"Nothing. There's just a message I don't want to listen to right now."

"Who's it from?"

"Listen, Alex, I know we're best friends, but... I'm not ready to talk about it. Not right now."

Jody got up from the table and walked over to one of the storage units. He began looking through the station manuals that occupied one of the cabinets.

"Hey Alex, check this out. It's from before they installed Gravity Generators."

Alex didn't answer him. He stared at Jody, knowing he was ignoring him on purpose. That made him angry. He didn't like being ignored, especially when it was his best friend he was trying to help. He looked up thinking he'd heard a sound; like a small Pshhht.

"Do you hear that Jody?" He was looking around the room.

"Hear what?" Jody also started looking around.

The sound started to get louder.

"Yeah, I hear it now. What is it?"

"I think we got an air leak somewhere." Alex was closely inspecting the walls.

The sound now increased five-fold.

"Tasha," Alex yelled above the noise, "Help us find the leak!"

"Well, where should I start looking?" she yelled back.

"Look around the walls, at any of the seams!" Alex shouted to her and then over at Yavi and Farhad. "Guys come on, we need help."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.