Return From The Dark Side - Cover

Return From The Dark Side

Copyright© 2007 by Argon

Chapter 10: Bad News

Action/Adventure Sex Story: Chapter 10: Bad News - Henry Ruiz-Costa is an out-of-luck mercenary and hit man. When he rescues Josie Maxwell, he thinks that his life has taken a turn for the better. Yet Josie has her own personal demons. So has beautiful Ellen Winthorp, Henry's childhood sweetheart. Watch their struggles as they bring their lives back on track and find love. Revised 12/2013.

Caution: This Action/Adventure Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Restart   Anal Sex   Masturbation   Oral Sex   Pregnancy   Voyeurism  

"How was your trip, Mrs. Maxwell?"

Elisa Mulland had already been Max's secretary, but the friendly smile with which she greeted Josie showed that she had been more than happy with the change at the top of Maxwell's Maxistores (the 'Max' had been axed from the company name a few months ago).

"Nice, actually," Josie answered. "They really went out of their way in the ceremony."

The National Convention of Electronics Retailers (NCER) had given Josie the 'Newcomer of the Year' Award. She was the first woman ever to win this prize. Josie had been terribly apprehensive about giving an acceptance speech, but everybody had been very nice and she had received a warm round of applause.

"Any messages? News from my daughters? Lay it on to me, Elisa," Josie challenged her secretary.

"There's the monthly report from the principal. It seems they are doing very well academically..." Elisa hesitated.

"Conduct?" Josie asked with a sigh.

"Another two detentions for talking back to a teacher. This time in Biology."

"Please clear my schedule for next Friday through Sunday. I'm going to visit them. This can't go on."

"All right. I'll move the Luxman representative to Tuesday. That was his original preference anyway."

"Anything else?"

"Ed Halberd would ask for an hour of your time to discuss the three new outlets in Northern Virginia. He needs your approval for the contract with the mall owners."

"Fit him in today if you can."

"There was a call from England. A Mrs. Winthorp called. She claims that you know her. She wouldn't state her business but she gave me her number."

Josie swallowed. Perhaps Ellen had learned about Henry's whereabouts.

"Call her right away, please. Put the call through to my office."

It took Elisa only a few seconds before the phone on Josie's desk chirped.

"Ellen? Josie here. Have you got news from Henry?"

"Yes, I have. I'm afraid it's not good news."

The tone of Ellen's voice panicked Josie. "Ellen, you scare me! What happened? Where is he?"

"He's in an army hospital in Basra, Iraq. He was wounded in an ambush, a roadside bombing apparently. He'll make it, but he may lose his left leg!"

Ellen's voice was unsteady and Josie felt her own panic level rise.

"What do you mean, lose his leg?" she squeaked, unable to maintain her countenance.

"His left knee was hit by a bullet, and the damage is considerable. He and his men avoided the bomb blast but were attacked by the insurgents. He kept them at bay single-handedly and was shot twice – a minor wound to the lower leg and the knee. Andrew is applying some muscle to have him flown back to England before they'll make the decision about amputation."

"What was he doing in fucking Iraq?" Josie almost screamed, already knowing and dreading the answer.

"He signed up again with the Royal Marines last year, after ... after you two broke up." Ellen knew full well the impact of her words. "Now take it easy, Josie. Nobody forced him. He joined the Marines to run away. He did it before. It was as stupid then as it is now."

Josie did not register Ellen's words.

"This is my fault. He's crippled because I was afraid of my own feelings. He was shot because I treated him like shit. Ellen, is there anything I can do to help?"

"I'll call you as soon as I know whether and when they'll fly him back. I promise. Right now there's nothing either of us can do. Andrew is putting pressure on just about any politician or official he can get a hold of. We need him back here where we can look after him."

"Ellen, listen, money is no issue! I'll foot any bill to get him the best help."

"Josie, easy! You know, we're not exactly penniless and Harry is pretty well off himself. I know you mean well, but money won't help. If you can identify a top-notch orthopedic surgeon who's willing to rebuild a knee, that would be a help."

"I'll look into it within the next hour! Right away. Wait! There's John Solomon! I met him at a convention two days ago. His brother is a professor, a surgeon, at Johns Hopkins University. Make sure I get every bit of information that can help."

"Will do. Josie, we have to take care of him. We both failed him. Now is our chance!"

Josie blinked back the tears. Ellen was right. Now or never was the chance to prove herself.

"So we're partners in this, right?"

"Right. I'll keep you posted."

"Ellen? Thank you for thinking of me. You are a true friend."

They ended the call and Josie sat still for a minute or two. Then she got up and left her office.

"Elisa, drop everything you're doing. Clear my schedule for at least two weeks. I will see Ed this afternoon, and he'll bear the flag for a while. I need you to find the address and phone number of John Solomon, from Nice Price. Warn the Academy in Gainesville that Pat and Megan may have to leave on short notice due to a family emergency."

"Oh my God! What happened?" Elisa exclaimed.

She was worried. Not only because of the barrage of demands, but also because Josie's face was a mask of pure anguish.

"A good friend of ours was seriously wounded in Iraq. We may need to travel to Europe in the next days."

Elisa nodded. "I shall call Ms. Hernandez. You are in no shape to drive yourself, and you need somebody to look after you."

Josie was in no mood to argue. She just nodded and returned to her office.

John Solomon was on the phone a minute later.

"Josie, what's up? You know, you can't keep calling me; my wife is also my secretary."

"Hi John. Listen, I have a situation at my hands and I would appreciate your help. A very good friend was wounded in Iraq. You mentioned that your brother is a surgeon at Johns Hopkins. Could you please get him to call me? I need expert advice as soon as practicable."

"Sure, I'll call him right away, and he'll call you back. Jesus, I'm sorry for cracking weak jokes. Is it bad?"

"I don't know, yet." Her voice finally broke. She could only whisper. "All I know is that I have to help him if my life is ever to be all right again."

"Will do, right away."

She heard him yelling, 'Helen, drop everything and get Edgar on the phone!'

Then he spoke into the phone again. "Helen is calling him right now ... Ah! Here he is. I'm putting you through. Good luck and good bye, Josie. I hope things will be fine. Okay?"

"Thanks, John! I owe you!"

Then she heard the sounds of switching connections.

"Solomon?"

The voice was similar but distinct from John's, more practised. Well, he was a professor.

"Dr. Solomon, my name is Josie Maxwell. I know your brother because we work in the same retail field. I have a problem. A good friend of mine was injured in Iraq, and his knee was badly messed up. Hopefully, he will be flown back to England soon. I want to ask you whom you would recommend as the best expert for pieces a knee back together."

There was a pause while Dr. Solomon was thinking. She heard the clicking of a computer mouse. Finally, he spoke.

"He's going to England, you say? And his knee is damaged?" He paused, and Josie heard the telltale click-click of a computer mouse being worked hard. Then Solomon spoke again. "Well, there's a woman in Glasgow, University of Glasgow. Eileen Simmons. I'd say she would be a very good choice to have a look at your friend's knee. There is also Marty Benson at USC in Los Angeles, but he usually has a long waiting list. Stephan Bauer in Vienna comes to mind. He's very good. He should be your Nr. 2 choice."

Josie scribbled furiously.

"Would Dr. Simmons be, like ... miffed, if I called her out of the blue?"

"I take it your friend would visit her private practice?"

"Of course! Money is no issue here."

"Then I'm quite positive she'll appreciate your call. She's still rather young. Up and coming, you know. Give it a try. If she can't help you, call me again and I'll try to set you up with Dr. Bauer."

"Thank you, Dr. Solomon. I truly appreciate your help."

"Never mind. My brother says you're a friend, and I'm glad I could help; especially as it's about one of those poor devils in Iraq."

Josie ended the call and dialled Elisa's extension.

"Dr. Eileen Simmons, University of Glasgow, Scotland. I need her phone and fax numbers, and her e-mail address ASAP!"

"Give me two!" Elisa shot back and the connection broke.

Thank god for an effective secretary! When this was over, Josie had to see that Elisa received some sort of promotion. As promised, she was back within two minutes.

"Dr. Eileen Simmons, 36, Senior Lecturer. Head of the Department for Reconstructive Orthopedics. Phone and fax numbers and e-mail contact should appear on your screen as we speak."

"Thanks, Elisa. You're my saviour!"

Hastily, Josie dialled Ellen's number. The phone was picked up at the second ring.

"Ellen, it's me. You wouldn't believe it, but the leading expert for reconstructive knee surgery sits in Scotland! In Glasgow!"

"Really? That's great! Let me get a pen, wait ... Got it! Shoot!"

Josie gave her the name and affiliation, as well as phone and fax numbers.

"I'll pass this on to Andrew. He just called five minutes ago. Harry is already on a plane home. He will be sent to Ravenscourt Park Hospital in Hammersmith. Andrew can try and get Dr. Simmons. Let me call him right away."

"Yes, call him. Give him my regards and ask him not to hate me anymore."

"Will do! Josie, thank you for kicking in here. I'll keep you posted. Bye!"

"Bye, Ellen!"

Breathing deeply, Josie cradled the receiver. Just then there was a knock on the door and Christina looked in. Josie waved her in.

"Chris, thanks for coming. Henry was shot, over in Iraq."

"Oh my God!" Chris blanched. She was fond of Henry, too; although she had never given Josie a hard time over her handling of the affair. "How bad is it?"

"His knee is really messed up, and the jury is still out whether his leg can be saved. Ellen Winthorp and her brother are pulling some strings in London, and I spent the last minutes trying to identify a surgeon for him."

Christina swallowed hard. Losing a leg would be devastating for an active man like Henry Ruiz-Costa. Josie broke into her musings.

"Chris, I need you to do something for me. Tomorrow, we'll go to pick up Pat and Megan. Would you fly to England with us? I want the girls to visit Henry. It will cheer him up to see them. He was always fond of them."

"You're not coming?"

"Oh, but I am! It's just, you know Chris, seeing me is probably not good for him. Or for me. His last words to me were 'Go to hell!'. That's not really encouraging."

"His ego was hurt and he felt betrayed. A year can change a lot. I believe he would be good for you, I really do, but you'll need patience."

Josie tilted her head at those words. "So, who is good for you, Chris? You never seem to date."

"I haven't found her yet," Christina answered giving Josie a defiant look. They had never before broached the subject of Christina's sexual preference.

Josie took in a stride. "Oh! I didn't know. But still, how can you find somebody when you're spending your evenings beating up the guys?"

Josie was referring to Christina's hobby, Wing Chun-style Kung-fu.

"It doesn't bother you, Josie? I mean, me being gay and spending time with your daughters?"

Josie looked at Christina appraisingly. "Should I be concerned?"

Christina shook her head. "They seem to prefer boys."

"Then there's really no reason for concern, is there? Being gay isn't contagious after all."

"No, and thanks."

"Not at all, Chris. I trust you. You look out for us and more importantly, you keep me grounded when I need it. I'd hate to lose you."

"No worries on that count yet," Christina laughed.


It was evening and Josie sat in her study. She still had not called Pat and Megan and now she could not put it off anymore. With a sigh she picked up the phone and dialled Megan's cell phone. Megan picked it up after just two rings.

"Hey, Mom," she said distractedly.

What she was doing something had obviously higher priority than talking to her mother.

"Meg, please don't panic. Something happened to Henry. He was wounded, but he's alive."

She heard the sharp intake of breath on the other end and then Megan's sharp hiss, "Pat! Stop that and come over here! It's about Harry!"

"Yes, Mom," Meg said into the phone. "We're listening. What happened, how was he wounded?"

"I don't know much. He was in Iraq and got caught in an ambush. He was shot and his knee is badly damaged. They're flying him back to England. I've been in contact with Ellen Winthorp and we're working on getting him the best treatment available. Depending on what I hear from Ellen, we may go to England to see him and give him support. That's where I'm counting on you and Pat. He really likes you two, and it will be good for his morale to see you. As for me, I'll better keep in the background."

"Good thinking, Mom," Megan answered dryly. "But how are we supposed to go to Europe? I mean, we have classes."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.