Legacy
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

"How much do you know about the political situation here in this land?" Count Treff asked John intensely.

"I have no political knowledge, and I am not looking to get involved in any jockeying for position. I am a newly made baron, and probably the most apolitical person you might ever know," John replied firmly.

Count Treff pursed his lips, and looked thoughtful.

"I had hoped to convince you to join my group, in trying to pressure the king for Lords Rights," the count mused loudly, slipping his view to John anyway.

John sighed. He knew there was a movement afoot take more power from the king, and deliver it into the hands of the lords. To John, it smacked almost like what had happed to King John of England, and the Magna Carta. The lords of England kept the king prisoner, until he signed the document.

John still did not understand how this document was legally enforceable. For almost as soon as it passed, the lords also passed laws preventing anything further in that direction from ever happening again. Even in the United States, contracts made by force did not carry the force of law. It was complicated.

"Again, I am not politically motivated one way or the other, my lord. All I want to do is to live my life as best I can, be fair to those who serve me, and develop and bring about as much improvement for the people as I can," John stated firmly.

Count Treff sighed. Both he and John talked for another twenty minutes or so, with the count trying to convince John, despite John's protests of neutrality. John knew both sides had reason to want power. John was but lately come to nobility, and people were already trying to garner his support.

John knew there were hard feelings already between certain nobles and the king. John did not want to get caught in the middle. With Count Treff already lobbying John for support, John was sure this would somehow get to the kings side's ears, and he would be held responsible somehow.

After Count Treff left, John growled almost silently to himself at what had happened. The count had brought attention to John, just by sitting with him. John wondered how this was going to come back to bite him in the ass.

John paid his reckoning, and left and found his two guards and driver very quickly. He got into the coach, and about an hour later was back at his home of Foxworth. The difference in time was due to the lateness of the day, and climbing a hill. So the trip was a bit slower going back.

When John returned to Foxworth, Cal met him with the news that he had managed to get an appointment with one of his neighbors, the countess Gilbraith. She was more than able to teach John what he needed to know about court protocol. She was expecting him at his leisure, anytime within the next two days.

John was pleased, and thanked Cal for the work in getting him this appointment. Cal bowed and said it had been his pleasure to ensure his lordship was well informed. John retired that evening, after discovering that his cellars did in fact have four kegs of Summer's Gold Ale. That pleased him even more.


The Countess Gilbraith was a stern looking elderly woman, of about sixty-five or so.

"Young man, you are the clumsiest person I have ever seen, when it comes to dancing. Your bow is only marginally acceptable. If I had had you a couple months ago, I could have gotten you up to a more acceptable level of competence. Still, at least you know the steps, now," the countess said sourly.

John was in 'day two' of learning finer court etiquette. There were several musicians present, playing the most popular dance music which the countess was trying to teach John.

"I am sorry. Dancing was not something I did or learned, where I am from," John said by way of explanation.

"It is the duty of all young men to learn as much as they can, and you are woefully lacking. Dancing is an art. It is also an important means of communicating with and to young ladies. Surely you intend to marry, someday?" The countess asked.

"I have not given it much thought as of yet, my lady," John responded nervously.

"Well, start thinking of it. I imagine your own count and duke are already looking for an acceptable companion for you. Why, I would be honored if you were to show interest in my own niece. Let me know if you can't find someone, and I will send for the girl for you," the countess said, with a twinkle in her eye.

John shuddered at the thought. The countess had sharp-faced features, and her husband had died over a decade ago.

'Probably nagged to death', John thought.

John had come to respect the countess, and to fear her. She was a very sharp-tongued elderly lady, who was not hesitant about letting John know of his shortcomings. But she knew court life, inside and out.

"I understand you met our Count Treff," the countess said suddenly, changing the subject.

"I did. How did you know?" John asked stunned that she even knew.

"Humph. Nothing goes on in Carlston that a lot of us don't know. I imagine you will be hearing from the Earl of Carlston fairly soon. Be warned, he is a staunch royal supporter, and will question you closely on your thoughts and views," the countess said while dancing with John, and trying to get him to do the steps correctly.

Two days before his appointed appearance at court, John was informed he had a visitor. Curiously, he made his way to the reception room, and found himself introduced to a middle aged man who was none other than the Earl of Carlston!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.