Some Things Are Meant To Be
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2007 by DREMAN

I went out front and told Mike that I needed to talk to him. I had not had a vacation since joining Audiomart. I was going to take Chris up on his offer to take some time off while I had the chance. After I explained to Mike what had happened earlier today, he agreed that I should absent myself from the store until things were ironed out. I promised to be available in emergencies but he said that he and Sharon could handle whatever came up. I thanked him and left the mall.

One thing I was sure of was the fact that I could trust my co-workers. I always made it a policy to treat them fairly, help them in times of need, and to see that they were able to perform optimally at work. From time-to-time I took them to lunch individually and tried to take an active interest in their lives. Ours was more than just a perfunctory working relationship.

It was time to pick up my children so I went directly to the school. They were having such a good time that I had to wait for about fifteen minutes while they finished the game they were playing. Even then it was difficult to settle them down enough to get them buckled into their seats in the car.

"Where are we going, Daddy," they asked?

"Wherever you want to go," I replied.

"Can we go to McDonalds? We really like the shakes there, and the kiddies meals are yummy," they said excitedly.

As I looked at them in the rearview mirror my heart went out to them. They did not know all that had happened today and I was hoping against hope that I would be able to protect them from finding out. I was not ready to rock their little world right now, and I truly hoped it would never come to that.

When we arrived home I noticed the new hardware on the doors and found the keys where he had left them. He also left a copy of his bill. I was amazed at his prices, but it was to late to say anything. I tried the keys and locks. They worked better than the old ones.

During the evening the children seemed content to play by themselves. They only asked about Colleen once and that was because they wondered where she had gone. I told them that I didn't know where she was right now but I would tell them when I found out. They seemed satisfied with that and went on playing.

I fully expected Colleen to call before they went to bed and she didn't let me down. The telephone rang at 7:30 PM on the dot.

"Hello," I said.

There was a slight pause before she said, "I want to come home. Please, let me. I miss my children... and I miss you, too."

I did not want to give her any hope at this point, false or otherwise, so I said to her, "I'm truly sorry that it had to come to this, Colleen, but that's not going to happen tonight, and maybe never. We have a lot of things to straighten out between us before I can accept you back, if I ever do."

"I've been crying my eyes out all afternoon. I cancelled my class and stayed in my room. There was no way I could go there and face the people who know that I lied to my husband, so I called in sick," she said rather softly.

I wasn't about to cut her any slack, so I said, "You deserve what's happening. You made the bed you are now sleeping in. By the way, where are you staying," I asked? "I need an emergency telephone number from you."

"I am renting a dorm room for now," she said. "It's very inexpensive and all that I need. The number here is 555-3108. May I talk to the children?"

"For your information I told them that you have not been feeling well and that you will be away until you feel better. They seemed to accept that. What are you planning to say to them? "

"I'm glad you worded it that way to them. I am sick about what has happened and that's something we can both agree on," she replied. "I just want to tell them that I love them and that I want them to help you around the house by doing whatever you ask them to do."

"Okay, Colleen, but don't upset them," I told her. "When you're finished talking to them, hang up. I will need to put them to bed. I'll call you back when I've done that."

I called the children and they came running. I told my daughter, Jill, to go upstairs and get on the bedroom telephone, and I asked my son, Jack, to take my telephone. Jill was on her way when Jack grabbed my telephone and said, "Hello."

I listened as they talked and listened to their mother. When they were finished, I told Jill and Jack to get ready for bed and I would be up for story time in a few minutes

They ran off to their rooms. After the children were tucked in and I had closed their doors, I called Colleen.

"Colleen, I began, I may not know all I need to know to care for the kids properly while you're gone. Is there anything special I need to know?"

She told me some things that were helpful and I took notes as fast as I could write. According to her, we had two fine healthy children that did not have any special needs to speak of. I was slightly embarrassed that I had to ask, however, but I knew I'd better do it. She did tell me that the parents of a couple of their friends had said in the past that they were welcome to come stay with them any time we needed a babysitter. I knew who they were and I was glad for their offer. If things didn't work out soon between Colleen and me, I may need them.

I decided that it was premature for me to tell her about all Chris and I had discussed, but I did tell her that Bill was to be fired, if he hadn't been already.

She asked, "Because of me?"

"Because of both of you," I replied. "You're both to blame. Chris felt that it would be too uncomfortable for Bill and I both to be included in business and staff meetings, so he decided to fire Bill."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.