Kenshiro Added Chapters
Chapter 2: Prairie

Copyright© 2007 by Cylis Derrens

Setting Sun was a young woman of the Lakota more commonly known as Sioux. She had wandered far from her tribe on horseback. A group of white settlers had spotted her alone and have given pursuit. Setting Sun had not liked the look of them and had wisely spurred her horse into a gallop. After looking back at her pursuers she turned around to see more up ahead already cutting her off. Surrounded by settlers she saw no way to escape. Her brothers would soon find out she was gone but by then it would be too late. Setting Sun was too good at sneaking out for own good. It was then that she saw one of them men grip his neck emitting a gurgling sound. His fingers gripped and arrow buried in his throat as he choked on his own blood. Three more arrows found their marks as more men from the group of twenty fell. The settlers searched around them in confusion trying to sight their attacker. One shouted pointing behind her in time to receive one of his own followed by his companion. Armed with pistols the men had left their rifles with the wagons. Aiming and firing the missed the distant figure as he launched more arrows. Every shot struck a man killing him outright or mortally wounding him. In the space of moments he caused the surviving settlers to turn and run. The stranger managed to kill one more before they managed to escape before riding forward. He was dressed in settler's clothes but had no rifle; instead he was armed with a knife, tomahawk and a bow with arrows. Slipping from his horse he surveyed the scene picking a man who was still alive stabbed him once ending the man's life before rising. Putting the knife away he retrieved any knives or money from the bodies leaving the pistols as if he had no use for them. Gathering the horses that had not runoff to far he tied them together leading them by hand. Setting Sun dismounted and had begun to admire them when he returned. "Take them if you wish." The stranger said talking to her in her own language. "My name is Setting Sun. Thank you for saving me." Setting Sun said gathering her pistols and remounting her horse. "I am Kenshiro, and there is no need to thank me. I could not stand idly by and let them capture you." Kenshiro said. Movement across the plains caught his attention and Kenshiro quickly fitted another arrow to his bow pulling it back. Following his gaze she smiled and said, "There is no need. Those are my brothers coming to find me. I should not have snuck off. No doubt they will be very angry with me."

"Then I'll leave you then. Remember the lesson you learned today Setting Sun. You were very lucky." Kenshiro said riding off with his captured horses in tow. She watched him go sorry to see him leave. He was a handsome man with long dark hair going to his mid-shoulders. Before leaving he had flashed her a smile that made her melt. She blushed at the thought of being held and kissed by him.

Hawk was the first to arrive followed by his younger brother Fighter. Already Fighter was preparing to aim at the retreating Kenshiro before Setting Sun. "Would you kill the man who rescued me as a way of thanking him?" Setting Sun asked. "She is right Fighter he should go with our thanks not a bullet in the back." Hawk said admonishing his brother for his eagerness to kill. "Who is he?" Fighter asked. "He said his name was Kenshiro." Setting Sun replied. Both looked at her in surprise none of them had ever heard a name like that before.

Kenshiro managed to sell the horses at a nearby town. Taking the money from the sales he headed back onto the plains preferring it to the smelly frontier towns. As night fell he built a small campfire on the hill chewing dried meat for dinner. Sioux scout sent out to track the movements of the Buffalo came across his campsite. The leader of the scouts was Hawk. Deciding to check out the visitor they approached the sleeping figure. Kenshiro's senses awakening him to the slightest sound he gripped the knife laying beside him. Gripping it tightly he kept his eyes as slits so no one would know he was not asleep. His ears tracked the intruders marking them as only a short distance away. The scouts soon came in to view in front of his prone form. Kenshiro waited until they turned away to talk to each other before he made his move.

Hawk discussed what they should do with the stranger. His companions did not like the idea of just leaving the sleeping man be. They wanted to kill him or take him with them. Hawk finally settled on taking him with them after arguing with them for a few minutes whispering the whole time. When they turned back to the stranger they found him gone. "It's good for you that you decided to capture me. I would have had to kill you." A voice said from behind them. Spooked they slowly turned around to find Kenshiro holding a knife and a tomahawk crouched behind them. Each man looked fearfully at each other. "We never even heard you." Hawk said wide eyed. "That was the point. Now may I suggest you ask me nicely if you want to continue to use good judgment?" Kenshiro said rising to his feet. Making sure to do just as he suggested Hawk and his companions led Kenshiro back to their village.

They arrived at the village in the early morning. The rest of the village gathered to see the visitor. Kenshiro rode in proudly among them. Not as a prisoner but as an equal. The Chief of the village Red Thunder was in his late years as he smiled and greeted Kenshiro. "Greetings Kills Many." Red Thunder said dressed in simple clothing. If one did not know better he would have seemed like any other old man but Kenshiro knew differently. The rest of the village parted for him so he could approach their visitor. "Why do you call me by that name?" Kenshiro asked. "It is the name that we have given you. Setting Sun told us of what you did for her. We thank you for saving her and for giving her the white settlers' pistols." Red Thunder answered. Hawk approached the Red Thunder whispering in his ear. Chuckling as he heard the young brave's account Red Thunder asked, "Or would you prefer Shadow?" As questioning looks came from crowd of men, women, and children Red Thunder explained. They all looked at Kenshiro with new respect in their eyes. It was no small thing to sneak up on Sioux braves in their own land. From the account the people had heard of his prowess in battle they had no doubt that he could have carried out his threat. Thinking it over Kenshiro settled on being called Shadow seeing it as the less boisterous of the two. The ability to kill many he felt should not be advertised especially in an obvious way like one's name.

"Shadow it is then. Come Shadow we were about to eat breakfast. Please join us." Following them to one of the tents Kenshiro now to be called Shadow was provided with food and water. As they sat in a circle inside the tent Shadow found himself looking across at the Chief. "You are a brave man to attack so many men." Red Thunder announced. Shrugging Shadow said, "Perhaps I am just young and foolish." Laughing this Red Thunder answered, "I see through you young Shadow. I have seen few like you but I know your kind when I see you. You are the great warrior and leader. You are very rare. When you are needed you answer the call feeling the call of battle. We have need of men like you."

"Though I thank you for your kindness I am not one of you. This is not my tribe, and I do not share your beliefs. Mine is the Christian God and my path is my own." Shadow said. "You killed the settler as if they were your enemy." Red Thunder pointed out. "They meant to harm Setting Sun. If they had not I would not have killed them." Shadow replied. Nodding Red Thunder said, "Then you are wise as well as brave. Killing white settlers is no small matter. Some young men forget that and cause too much trouble. Our war chief has recently become wounded from a past raid. I fear that no man is available to take his place should he fall. Many of the young men seek only to prove themselves and this could make them foolhardy. It is true you are not one of us, but you could be."

"I travel as freely as the wind. Why should I wish to be chained down? I have no wish to lead men into battle." Shadow asked. "Even the wind must stop sometime. Here you can build a future and perhaps have a family. Already I see the longing for you in many young women's eyes. You are strong, intelligent, and brave. Many a father would welcome into his family and be lucky to have you." Red Thunder replied. "I have no need for family as of yet, but I will not deny that I am at home in battle. If I can pitch my own tent and honor my own ways that I will stay and fight for you. This is the agreement I offer you." Shadow answered. Red Thunder said that he had to talk the other leaders of the tribe to make sure they agreed. The meeting did not take long. The simple truth was that they still wanted him, but disappointed that he did not want a position of leadership. Even the middle aged War Chief Falcon uncle of Hawk, Fighter, and Setting Sun did not like the idea that Shadow would not take the offered position. Falcon saw great promise and him and had looked forward to seeing what the young man could do. Something about the way he carried himself and spoke told volumes to Falcon. Shadow was man who could turn the tide of battle when all else had failed. There was some conciliation in the fact that he would join the tribe and become one of their warriors.

When it came to religious acts or festivities Shadow would withdraw to his tent or go off wandering the plains. He never strayed too far but seemed to prefer his solitude. Most of the tribe was willing to leave him alone, believing that he would join them in his own good time. In the mean time Shadow seemed to leave the tribe on short raids of his own always coming back with horses. The tribal leaders noticed that most of them were from the Cheyenne. When a group of Cheyenne came to retrieve their horses they met Shadow and immediately recognized him. "You!" Tall Bull the leader of the Cheyenne shouted. Falcon looked to Shadow for an explanation and Shadow said, "We have met before. He and a raiding party decided to try to take my horse. I did not take kindly to that. Not all of them made it home, and I killed the horse from under Tall Bull before he managed to escape. Have you come to finish our little game?"

"You think this is a game?" Tall Bull said fuming. Flashing a predatory smile Shadow answered with, "Of course Tall Bull. Are you upset because you are losing?" Tall Bull drew his knife approaching Shadow menacingly. "You dishonored my sister!" Tall Bull accused Shadow. "Your sister was quite willing I assure you. Perhaps she misses my company. Does she ask about me much?" Shadow said as he drew his knife assuming a fighting stance as Tall Bull continued towards him. "Peace!" Falcon commanded stepping between them and holding his hands up. "Tall Bull you came here hopefully without intending bloodshed. I offer you the chance to leave that way." Falcon said looking at Tall Bull. Pointing his blade menacingly at Shadow Tall Bull said, "Stay away from my village and my sister or the next time we meet my knife will drip in your blood!"

"I look forward to seeing try Cheyenne dog. Give your sister my best wishes." Shadow said with a smug smile before turning his back on Tall Bull. Tall Bull stiffened rage threatening to overcome him. Only common sense stayed his hand. He had been offered to leave in peace and Shadow could not fight him because of the Sioux war chief. To attack his rival now would only mean the death of him and all his companions. They were greatly outnumbered and Tall Bull was not sure if he could even get to Shadow if he tried, let alone kill him. The wisest course of action was to withdraw and wait for another time to settle old scores. What stung the most is that Shadow had not lied. Tall Bull's sister still cared for him. Slim Face seemed fixated on him. Tall Bull was sure that Shadow was just taking advantage of her. If he believed her account Shadow had been nothing but nice to her. He had Kenshiro's new name and had not liked that the Sioux had accepted him into their tribe. This made things more complicated when it came to dealing with his rival. Now killing him could effect relations between their two tribes. Tall Bull was unsure how this would play out. His village might need the support of Falcon's warriors against their enemies the Pawnee who hated both the Sioux and the Cheyenne. Riding towards home his thoughts dwelled on what he should do next.

Seeing Shadow head back to his lone tent Falcon said, "For a man not interested in authority you seem to want to start a lot of bloodshed. This woman that Tall Bull speaks of did you love her or just bed her?" Stopping in his tracks Shadow turned and said, "I never stopped loving Slim Face but I also don't like her brother. I was going to marry her but when their father died Tall Bull refused to allow it. Now we are enemies." Shadow walked away then and said no more. Falcon had not expected this answer but as he thought about it what the young man had said made sense. It explained the enmity between the two warriors. Like so many conflicts it had been started over a woman.

In the following days the village prepared for the Buffalo hunt. Shadow had accompanied the last group of scouts tracking their movements. Now the herd was not far from their village and the hunt could begin.

Riders directed the herd firing arrows into as they rode their steeds alongside. Falcon took the lead leading his braves as they attacked the great herd. The thundering of hooves drowned out all sounds as the great body of Buffalo tried to escape the Sioux hunters. Arrows found their marks dropping bulls and cows alike. They crashed to the ground their huge forms kicking up dirt before they lay still. Shadow was to take no part in the hunt. Falcon had noticed his brooding nature and had felt he should be left behind. To participate would put him and others at risk. Hunting Buffalo was dangerous work and one mistake could be deadly. As a tribute to this Falcon's horse strayed too close when a great bull from the herd decided to go on the aggressive. Battering the steed's hindquarters sending it flying as Falcon leapt free. The bull finished killing his horse before it started charging for him. Falcon had no weapon and could barely stand. He knew he could not get out the way in time. Staring death in the face he stood his ground crying out a battle cry he prepared to die proudly. The din of the herds' passage covered the approach of another rider as his spear slammed into the bull's side. Bracing his teeth Shadow winced in pain as the power of the impact nearly shattered his arm. The bull's body shuddered as it fell, its heart pierced by the point of the boar tipped spear. Blood pumped from the heart as the great beast died the herd heading away from him and his killer. Dismounting he yanked the spear free planting his foot for extra purchase. Mounting up again he offered Falcon a hand up into the saddle which the older man accepted. Heading to a safe distance he dropped Falcon off before heading back. The other braves accepted his leadership working as a team. By the end of the afternoon they had plenty of food for the village and all returned home safely. The bodies were harvested for everything that they might need, and all heard of Shadow's bravery. That night Setting Sun visited as the rest of her people celebrated. He was sitting alone quietly eating his Buffalo meat. Sitting down beside him Setting Sun said, "Thank you for saving my uncle's life." Setting his food aside Shadow looked at her. "I only did my duty." Shadow said.

"Why do you do that?" Setting Sun said looking into his eyes with a troubled face. "Do what?" Shadow asked. "You do and say things to distance yourself. Why do you do that?" Setting Sun asked. Showing a grip smile Shadow said, "I once fought beside Tall bull. I considered him a brother, and his father Raven my father. I was Cheyenne then, a part of their tribe. When Raven died he denied our marriage believing that I had behaved dishonorably with her, that a stranger like me could not be like him. Because I was not born Cheyenne he saw me as less than him. I shed blood with the man yet he felt he was my better. With his father out of the way he chased me from my home and burned my tent. I cannot return there without risking death, but there are times that I have thought of it. Not I week goes by that I have not considered it. While I may now be Sioux I was not born one of your people so I do not expect you to understand. I will fight along side you but I will never truly been one of you. To believe otherwise is simply naïve."

Setting Sun withdrew to leave Shadow in peace. Going back to campfire she spoke to Black Crow the medicine man who told all the other village elders and leaders what she had heard. Now it all made sense. Shadow had been betrayed by a member of his own tribe and now he believed they would treat him the same way. When the Cheyenne sought help against the Pawnee Falcon sent Shadow in his place since he was still healing. Tall Bull was against it but could not find a good argument for refusing Shadow as leader. Falcon had been quite clear that this was not a negotiation. At the war council he had said, "You will accept Shadow or we will not help. When this is over you will explain to us how you consider one of our tribe to be a poor choice for wedding your sister." Tall Bull left with the impression that his Sioux neighbors were quite angry with him. They had not taken kindly to his treatment of a member of their tribe, and Tall Bull could not afford to anger them further.

Riding alongside Shadow Tall Bull was silent at first on their journey together. "Your tribe seems quite concerned with your well being." Tall Bull said extending the olive branch. Giving Tall Bull a scathing look that made the taller man flinch Shadow urged his horse forward to join the other Sioux warriors ahead. Tall Bull sighed shaking his head at his own foolishness. When he had accepted the council's judgment he had somehow expected this to be easier. He now realized that Shadow was unwilling to forget their past and wanted nothing to do with him. Tall Bull had no doubt he wanted to be here less than Tall Bull had wanted him.

It surprised to note this. The man he had known did not shy away from the chance to prove himself. Tall Bull was forced to consider his action in the light of Falcon's comments at the war council. In that light he found that he had behaved very badly and in doing so had made an enemy out of a former friend. It was that betrayal that he saw in Shadow's eyes even now. 'I will make it up to him. He deserves better.' Tall Bull thought. Smiling as he thought about his Slim Face he thought, 'Besides my little sister misses him.'

They arrived at the Pawnee camp in the dead of night. "What is the plan?" Tall Bull asked. Looking at the quiet camp before them Shadow replied, "Your men will flank the camp and kill any warriors that try to escape. We will fire arrows into the camp. At first they will be lit so the Pawnee will leave their tents. After enough of them are dead we will move in and kill their braves. Women, children, and the elderly will not be harmed." Taking up their positions they launched flaming arrows into the Pawnee camp. Cries of alarm could be heard as Pawnee rushed from their tents. Warriors scrambled for their weapons only to be brought down from unseen enemy. The fires in the camp burning brightly effectively destroyed their night vision; while the Sioux archers had the time they needed to adjust seeing them clearly as they stepped away from the tents. Arrows found many Pawnee braves killing many. They did not have a chance in the surprise attack. While people panicked and fled the camp most of the braves tried to engage the Sioux warriors trying to buy their escape giving their lives in trade. They did not know that Shadow did not want innocent people hurt. When it was over Shadow let captives be taken the rest were allowed to leave so they could find another Pawnee camp. Shadow took only horses for himself.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.