A Simple Little Love Story - Cover

A Simple Little Love Story

by rougher63

Copyright© 2007 by rougher63

Romantic Story: A story for Valentine's day. An older story I did some time ago. It is sickly sweet and has no sex. Very short story about an average guy, a letter carrier, and a woman on his route. No descriptive sex.

Tags: Ma/Fa   Romantic  

Part 1

Joe Bob Lewis grew up on a small farm outside of Meridian, Mississippi. He was quiet and hardly noticed in school. In high school, he was in building trades classes, not the pre-college track. He helped his father with odd jobs and on their small farm. For fun, he hunted and fished. He didn't have a car or the money to date. He made the best of his situation.

When he graduated from high school, he enlisted in the Army. When his father was younger, he had been tricked into enlisting and had believed the recruiter's promises about training. His father served four years in the infantry and didn't get any of the training the recruiter had talked about. Joe Bob got written guaranteed training and occupational specialty with his enlistment. He enlisted for four years as a fixed wing engine mechanic.

He was as nondescript in the Army as he had been in high school. He finished in the middle of his basic training class and was sent to Ft. Rucker, Alabama for aviation mechanic engine training. Joe Bob was a solid, steady worker. He was in the high part of the third quartile of his class. He spent more than a year in classroom instruction in aviation mechanics, and then he was moved to work on real engines under close supervision. He was paired with an experienced mechanic and everything he did was closely supervised.

One day, PFC Joe Bob Lewis was called into the company commander's office. The captain said, "Private Lewis, the Army does not need as many aircraft engine mechanics as projected. Instead of being sent to an infantry unit, I am going to give you the opportunity to transfer to a wheel mechanic program. Sign here."

Joe Bob was not a dumb as he looked. He said, "I'll have to think about it, sir."

The captain said, "What's to think about? Sign the paper, Private."

Joe Bob thought, If they could have transferred me without my agreement, they would have. They are trying to pull a fast one on me.

"Sir, I request permission to see a JAG officer," Joe Bob said.

The captain said, "Don't cause trouble, PFC Lewis."

When Joe Bob didn't reply the captain said, "Of course you may see a JAG officer, but why waste your time. I'm trying to help you get in a mechanics' program."

Joe Bob did not reply.

The captain said, "All right private, dismissed."

Joe Bob made an appointment to see a staff JAG officer.

Joe Bob took his guaranteed enlistment papers to the office of Captain Fred Guy. Captain Guy was reserve officer on active duty. He was well thought of in the JAG office. He had been promoted off the top 5% list. The captain was going to leave the Army because his wife didn't like the Army.

Captain Guy was familiar with the problem. The company commanders were under pressure to have the men waive their guarantees and remain in the Army for their full enlistments.

Joe Bob gave Captain Guy the enlistment papers.

He asked, "Have you satisfactorily completed training?"

"I completed the school training, sir. I'm in OJT supervision now," Joe Bob answered.

"What would you like to do?" Captain Guy asked.

"I don't want to be an assistant wheeled mechanic's helper. If I can't be an aviation engine mechanic, I'd like to get out. My CO really pressured me to sign a request for transfer," he said.

Captain Guy said, "If you had, you'd have had to complete your four year enlistment. If you don't sign you'll probably be assigned to a training company and will separate on your two year anniversary."

"I can't get out now. I thought I was guaranteed this MOS, sir," he said.

"You are if there are openings in the MOS, if not, you may be transferred to a complimentary MOS and your enlistment reduced to two years. That's what the fine print says. It's possible that they'll release you, but not likely. I'll send a request on your behalf, explaining that your options were explained and you requested release. I'll speak with your CO. It'd be better for you if you didn't talk to other trainees about coming here. Best not to piss off your CO anymore than you have too. If I can tell him, you won't cause trouble, things'll go better for you," Captain Guy said.

"My best buddy, PFC Harold Star, knows I came here. But I haven't told anyone else," he said.

PFC Lewis spent seven months working in the motor pool at Ft. Polk, Louisiana and then was released from active duty.

Joe Bob thought about completing the FAA mechanic's class at a community college when he got out, but he decided to find a job at home instead.

After he got home to Meridian, Joe Bob looked for work for two months. The only jobs available were as truck drivers.

The Unemployment Office suggested he apply at the Post Office. He did and with his veterans preference, he got a letter carrier's job. He preferred the carrier's job to working inside or in the maintenance facility.

Joe Bob's mail route was one of the worst in the city. He had a public house project and the six blocks around them. The people were hostile and the area was dangerous, but he stuck it out.

After three years in the project, a route came open in a nice area of town. The neighborhood's houses were mostly older houses and the people were nice. The houses had door service, so the carrier had to walk to the door. The letter carrier could not walk across the yard, so the route required a lot of walking.

Joe Bob didn't mind the walking and had more seniority than anyone else who bid for the route. Charley Blackmore, a training officer, suggested he introduce himself to all his patrons. He said, "The people on my route were like my family. I really enjoyed my route and would have kept it if I hadn't had a heart attack."

Joe Bob took Charley's advice. He introduced himself to all the people on his route. "I'm your regular letter carrier. If you need anything let me know." The people told him when they needed their mail held and he held it. He paid for postage due letters and left envelopes for repayment. Sometimes his patrons left money if they didn't have stamps or weren't sure of the postage needed. He took good care of them and they liked him.

Everyone was nice. And as Charley told him, the Christmas presents flowed in. Joe Bob rearranged his route to check on three widows early each morning. His only divorcees worked.

On Joe Bob's second year on the route, a doctor and his wife moved onto his route. They remodeled one of the large older houses. It was surrounded by old oaks. Joe Bob thought the wife, Beverly, was most attractive woman he had ever seen. He enjoyed watching her walk. Joe Bob spoke to her when he delivered parcel post packages.

One afternoon, Joe Bob brought her package that required her signature. She invited him while she checked the box's contents. Beverly asked, "Would you like a cup of coffee?"

Joe Bob said, "I'd have a glass of water if you'll have something with me."

They sat and talked.

Beverly asked, "Do you mind if I call you Bobby? It's one of my favorite names."

"Bobby's fine."

Beverly said, "Tell me about yourself."

Bobby said, "Not much to tell. Grew up outside of town on a small farm and helped my dad with handyman jobs. After I graduated from the public high school here, I went into the Army. When I got out, I got a job with the Post Office. I have been there five years. This is my third year on this route. Do you mind telling me about yourself?"

"I was born and raised in Selmer, Tennessee. I was an only child of parents, who are retired now. I went to nursing school at UT Memphis and met my husband there. We got married three years ago and when he finished his residency, we moved to Meridian from Memphis. He's from Martin, Tennessee. Not too exciting," she said.

"I have to get back to work. Thanks for the water and the conversation," Bobby said.

Beverly said, "I enjoyed it too. Maybe again some time?"

Bobby nodded and left. She received a lot of parcel post packages and they spoke briefly several more times. Bobby changed his afternoon schedule so he hit her house at break time.

Bobby packed his lunch and carried it with him on the Post Office Jeep. Every day he ate in the cul-de-sac where Beverley lived.

One day when he delivered a package, Beverly asked, "Is that you I see eating lunch at the end of the street?"

Bobby said, "I've been eating here since I started the route. I watched them remodel your house."

"I eat at home on Monday and Wednesdays. Why don't you join me?" Beverly asked.

Bobby said, "I don't want to do anything that'd appear improper?"

Beverly asked, "Would your wife mind?"

"No wife, no girlfriend," he answered.

"Are you a gentleman?" she asked half teasingly.

"Yes ma'am."

"We can eat out on the patio. That should be all right," Beverly said.

So twice a week they had lunch on the patio and talked. By the third week, Bobby was totally and hopelessly in love with her. He hadn't dated much and he quit trying altogether, after he met Beverly. None of the women he knew could hold a light to her.

He was very careful not to let her know how he felt. She was the closest friend he'd ever had.

About a year after they had started eating together, her husband, George, was killed in a traffic accident.

Bobby put on his best dark suit and went to the funeral home. With Beverly were two older couples. Beverly greeted him warmly and introduced him to her parents and in-laws.

Bobby said, "I'm so sorry."

He thought, I would have gladly traded places with him. It breaks my heart to see you so sad.

Bob expressed his condolences, told her to call if she needed anything and left. He didn't say much. He didn't know what to say.

Bobby took a half of a personal day and went to the funeral in Meridian. The burial was in Martin, Tennessee, so Bobby didn't attend the internment.

Beverly returned to Meridian about a week later. Bobby had held her mail and took it to her when he saw she was back.

"Thanks," she said.

"Call me if you need anything," he said. He gave her a card with his phone number printed on it.

He didn't expect her to call. But he was disappointed when he didn't get to see her for a week or so.

A registered letter gave him the opportunity to see her again. He rang the bell.

Beverly answered. Her eyes were puffy.

Bobby said, "A registered letter for you. I need your signature."

He didn't see her for three weeks after she signed for the letter. She left some letters for pick up, so he knew she was functioning.

I think my heart will break. I wish she would talk to me. I want to ring her doorbell or phone her so badly.

When Bobby got home from work, there was a note. "Joe Bob, a woman named Beverly called. She wanted you to call her back."

Bobby noticed that it was exactly two months since George had died.

"Bobby, could you come over? I need to talk badly," she said.

"Be right over," he responded.

When Beverly opened the door, her eyes were very red and puffy.

She led him to the family room couch. She held out her hand and Bobby took it.

"I don't know what to do. I'm pregnant. Two and a half months."

Bobby asked, "How can I help?"

"I don't know. I don't know what to do," she said.

She looked down and started crying. Bobby took her into his arms.

Softly Bobby asked, "Are you thinking about an abortion?"

She nodded, "There a doctor in Biloxi that does them. But I hate to destroy the last part of George."

Bobby said, "Being a single mother would be tough. It's tough for a kid without a dad too."

"So you think I should have the abortion?" she asked.

Bobby said, "I didn't say that. I said it'd be very hard and I'd understand if you went through with it."

"I don't even have health insurance. And a man wouldn't want a woman that had an infant that wasn't his, right?" she asked.

Bobby answered, "I don't know about that."

"Would you?" she asked.

Without thinking he said, "I would love anybody that was from you."

"That is so sweet. Would you really?" she asked,

Bobby nodded.

"Would you love him as much as if he were your own?" she asked.

Bobby nodded.

They sat for a fully minute. No one said a word.

Beverly stood and said, "I want to keep my baby."

Bobby said, "I understand." He rose.

Beverly asked, "Bobby, do you love me?"

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.