York(1)
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2007 by aubie56

JAMES' STORY:

The last few years had been very good to York Ranch in many ways. We had been able to maintain our crop cultivation at a steady level. Sarah was able to find a good source for canvas and we learned to make our own hose, so we were able to put enough hose in the fields to irrigate adequately without having to move the hose around.

Interestingly, I did some further checking on well technology and found out that my previous information sources were mired in old technology. Recent advances would let us drill to 1500 feet and pull up water relatively easily. Our problem with deep wells was that we were really beyond the extreme edge of the aquifer and couldn't depend on hitting a reliable water source. We discussed the situation and decided to stick with our water wagons. They were inefficient, but reliable. We really needed that dam!

We have had little trouble with harassment of our produce shipments over the recent years. Arturo and Julio still ran the guard sweeps when we sent the convoys, but they rarely found any problems. The sniping had even dropped off to insignificance. Did this mean that we had won? I doubted it.


I had tried to keep the situation hidden from Sarah, but I thought that I had reached the acute stage of my kidney failure. I couldn't put it off any longer—I had to tell Sarah and the others so that they could prepare to take over for me when I am gone.

I called a meeting of my friends and broke the news to them. I was touched to see that there was not a dry eye in the group. As I expected, Sarah broke into sobs and couldn't be consoled by Carmelita or me. I could not make her understand that I was almost looking forward to a cessation of the pain.


CARMELITA'S STORY:

I was walking down the hall when I heard the sobbing coming from Sarah's room. I gently opened the door and peeked in. The sight of Sarah sobbing her heart out was almost more than I could stand.

I walked to Sarah's side and gently placed my arm around the girl. Sarah turned to me, but did not let up on her sorrow. "What has you so upset, my dear? You know I want to help you any way I can."

"Oh, Carmelita, you are so good to me! Daddy's illness has got me down so much, that I can hardly face him without breaking down. The doctor says that he only has a few more months to live and then I will lose him, just the way I lost my mother so many years ago. I miss her so much and I know I will miss him just as much. What can I do? I want to cry all of the time. I don't know if I am more sad for him or for me. I am so frightened. What will I do? When I lose him, I will be all alone. I know I have you, but it just won't be the same! Please don't be mad at me. I love you and I know you love me."

"Sarah, it is right to mourn. Your mother was an angel and I know you miss her. Your father is so gentle and kind, everybody will miss him, too. It is alright to be frightened of what may happen, but you are only 20 years old. You have many years ahead of you and you will find a husband you can love, honor, and cherish. When you meet this man, you will know it, so don't worry about it now. God will take care of you until you find him.

"You can feel sad now if you need to, but don't let yourself be pushed beyond your limit. It's alright to start your mourning now for your father and yourself, but control it so that you don't make him feel worse.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.