A New Man
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2007 by Alistair Acorn

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 3 - A press-ganged seaman marooned in a small boat with a dead officer takes the opportunity to take the Officers warm woolen uniform to keep out the cold North Atlantic weather. This led to him being mistaken for the dead Lieutenant. This was after he had been confronted by a mysterious translucent sphere.......

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Fiction   Science Fiction  

"You must have a more to your name than Archie," asked Gerald as they rode the coach towards York. They had gone from Winchester to London and then caught the coach north. They had been travelling now for seven days, staying at staging Inns all the way.

"No that is all the name I have even had," Archie replied.

"Well I'm going to still call you Archie, but Archie is short for Archibald and I'll give you the surname of Landsdale. Now you have a proper name, for I have a feeling we will be mixing with the gentry of Yorkshire before long."

Gerald's power of getting peoples thoughts were increasing, to say he read their thoughts would be wrong, for he still was unable to deliberately tune in to any individual he chose. The thoughts just came into his head randomly, if he was close to the person. Was this what The Watchers had meant in their note to him when they said he would be able to do some strange things?

Another think he had noticed, but never told anyone was when he accidentally cut his hand it had healed and completely disappeared within a day. This fact worried Gerald more than anything.

In York they were met by Petal's sister Catrina, Gerald's grand aunt, who had news for him about a house he could rent cheaply, provided he allowed the owner to stay in one wing. They had to do more travelling to the market town of Market Weighton and book into the Briggs Inn where they will be contacted within the week.

He was glad he wasn't staying with Catrina, for she seemed even harder and more pompous that Petal. The woman who accompanied her was as sour faced at first, but when Gerald let slip how much his father had given him they became more attentive, but that was just before they parted.

"I think I could have slipped one into that Catrina," Archie said after they left.

"Yes, but don't have a glass of milk close by it would turn sour," Gerald answered then started laughing.

"We are a right pair, anything with a skirt on, we are trying to get it off, no matter what the age of the wearer," Archie added.

The Briggs Inn was a three-storey brick building and the only rooms they could get were on the top floor. At least they were away from the noise of the coach passengers when the coaches stopped to change horses and the passengers alighted to eat a meal.

The town was quiet and well supplied with Inns, for this was a very old market town which served the farmers in the district. The landlord told them the town was even mentioned in the Doomsday Book, but under a different name. The church seemed to be the centre of attraction of the town's people, but Gerald put no trust in something he couldn't see and had even been branded a heretic at one time of his life.

They waited three days, before a coach came to transport them to a large house a few miles out of the town and close to Goodmanham where an old Viking temple once stood. The house had three storeys and much smaller than Landsdale and was also in need of some repair. Once the coachman dropped them off, he returned the way he had come and it was obvious he wasn't the coachman for this house.

Archie and Gerald approached the front door which was opened by a thin long-faced middle-aged woman, dressed completely in black. "Ah, you must be Catrina's great-nephew, Gerald. Mrs Morgan is expecting you, I'm Helen her companion." She sidestepped and allowed them to enter, then ushered them into a well lit room to the right of the hall. Seated by a table was a small woman, barely five feet who stood to meet them.

"It's so kind of you to meet with us Mrs Morgan," Gerald said taking her offered hand and kissing the back of the half gloved hand. Mrs Morgan was also dressed completely in black.

"Maybe Helen can get you a drink or something. Sorry we have no servants to properly meet you, we just can't afford them any more that is the reason I want to rent out part of the house."

"I'll give Helen a hand then and let you two speak," Archie said leaving the room with Helen.

"Sorry to hear that Ma'am, but we passed numerous fields all lying fallow, surely they should have been worked, or are they in no way connected to the house?" Gerald replied. He knew he was taking a liberty asking such a question, but he just had to know.

'Oh here is a young man who could bring this small estate back on to its feet. If I were only twenty years younger he could lay me on my bed and do as he wished to me, ' these thoughts rushed into Gerald's mind as he gazed into the woman's eyes. Another point he picked up was her age. He thought she was in her midsixties, but discovered she was only forty-two. His ability to receive someone's thoughts were improving.

"Since my husband and two sons were killed in Spain and all the farmers leaving for the new factories and mines, I have none to work the land. Anyway the prices being paid were less than I spend on keeping the fields going."

"What were your husband and sons doing in Spain?" He knew the answer to that, for Catrina had told him, but he wanted to hear it from her own lips.

"They were with Wellington, they all bought commissions, but none of them really were soldiers, but the hoped to make some money. The farms were begInning to lose workers before they left. I told them they needed larger fields so they could sell in large bulk loads. Then the lower prices would more than cover the costs, but they were too entrenched in their ways. Besides that, I am a woman and to most men women know nothing. Are you one of those men Gerald?"

Gerald now looked at the small woman in front of him, she was no beauty, but he knew that what she said meant sense. Here was a place where he could start to build a fortune without spending too much capital.

"Maybe if I could get you started, you could try out your ideas, that is if you will let me?"

"Let you, I would be more than happy," she said now smiling.

"So we are in agreement then, you will rent me part of your house and let me help you?"

'Help me, you can take me for your wife any time you want, that's if you don't think I'm too old and ugly. Oh how I've looked forward to getting out of debt and live a normal life. But will he be like all men want to beat me, I had enough by my husband and son and was glad they were all killed, but I can't manage without a man.' Again Gerald got this burst of thoughts and now realised he had to be close, within a few feet of a person to get them. So she was willing to take me in and as a bed partner as well Gerald thought.

"Yes, if you are willing."

"Then we have a deal, but first we need to get some servants to run the house and a team of labourers to clear away the hedges that divide your fields."

"You will do all this, how can I repay you?"

"Well you can start by telling me your name; I don't want to keep calling you Mrs. Morgan."

"Charlotte."

"Lovely name for a lovely woman," Gerald replied.

'Keep saying those nice things and I'll be on my hands and knees in front of you.'

"You will, believe me," Gerald replied and watched her face blush as she quickly looked down at the ground. He deliberately had said these words to make her feel the way she looked now. "I also want you out of these black mourning clothes; we are starting a new chapter in your life, so cast off the old."

"Oh, I haven't been in mourning long enough, what would the church say. You must know I am a devout Catholic, I've even been on a pilgrimage to Rome."

"What has that got to do with anything? When we return I would like to see a less morbid dressed woman, a woman I'm trying to help."

Before she could answer the door opened and Helen and Archie arrived in wheeling a tea-trolley heaped with sandwiches and crockery. Also a sickly smile on both of their faces.

Gerald just had to look at Archie to know he had already been to the cookie jar with Helen. It never took Archie long to get between Helen's legs, but that act was even more encouraging for what was going to occur.

"Well is Mrs. Morgan going to rent us part of the house," asked Archie.

"Oh I'm going to do a lot more than that, I'm allowing Gerald to tray and make a profit out of my farms. I also hope that we can be more than landlord and lessee," replied Charlotte, before Gerald could answer Archie.

The smile on Archie's face got brighter as he was told.

"Archie, we need servants, badly. I know you know your way around, maybe you could find some who haven't run off to the liner mills to be spInners and weavers or whatever else they do there. I will find a cook, for I know you well on this subject and try to talk some of the tenant farmers into an idea that Charlotte mentioned. Oh I forget Archie this is Charlotte," Gerald said introducing Charlotte to Archie.

All four sat and had tea as though they were a family, not as just a few hours ago, strangers.

"Gerald, I would like to go to Leeds, I know where I could get staff. They may be a bit rough around the edges, but I assume a good housekeeper could sort that out. I will also need some money; I will return what's not used."

"I will also give you enough to buy them uniforms, for we want to impress the Women of the district, now don't we Charlotte?" Gerald said smiling at her. Charlotte wasn't at all beautiful, not even good-looking, but she had a pleasant personality, which more than compensated for lack of beauty, which was only skin-deep anyway.

"You are going to much expense Gerald, are you sure you can afford all this?" Charlotte asked. 'A head of the house who can take the load off my shoulders. In these couple of hours I feel drawn towards him and long before my mourning period is over, what will God think of me?'

Then Gerald picked up another series of random thoughts, 'To think at last I have a man in the house who is as eager as I am to share my bed.' Gerald knew he had picked up Helen's thoughts, yes this was going to be a very interesting time indeed, for both Archie and himself.

If only he could reply, he had tried, but there was no suggestion he was successful. The other thing he also wished that he could be selective on whose thoughts he overheard.

"I will go to Hull and see if I could pick up a cook and housekeeper, being a port there is a better chance there," Gerald said to Archie.

"Now Charlotte did you arrange for a carriage to return us to our lodgings?"

"Yes, I asked the coachman to return in four hours, I considered that enough time for us to conduct out business." Charlotte replied, she was about so add something else, but stopped herself.

"Yes I think we have solved a good many problems and I am looking forward to a long and prosperous relationship," Gerald said rising, for he had heard the carriage draw up outside. He again kissed Charlotte's hand, but she pulled him closer and kissed him on both cheeks.

"When will we see you again?" She asked.

"Soon, by weeks end or begInning of next, no later."


Archie stood outside the main railings, looking at the grey building twenty-five yards inside. The large carved lettering over the main entrance said it all 'City of Leeds Poor House'. He pitied the inhabitants, for it was in one of these establishments that his parents were sent to and in which they died, all for a two-pound debt. It was here that he was going to get the servants for Gerald. It was the least he could do to give them a chance of good food and a clean bed.

The superintendent was a rake thin man, who was only too glad to have someone pay the debts of some of the inmates so he could show he was administrating the establishment and getting the debts repaid.

"I'm looking for ten young women to become servants, I don't want old hags, or disease ridden girls," Archie told him straight out, for he knew the Jail superintendent would off-load as many unproductive women as he could.

"I suppose you would like to pick them yourself," he replied with a sarcastic sneer.

"Yes, if I can and then you can tell me what it would cost to release them."

"Just as well you asked for girls, for we have just sent all the boys of working age to the pits and wool factories."

"Don't the want girls there then?"

"It's the linen factories that prefer the girls and there seems to be an abundance of girl orphans flooding the town."

"Are you saying you have too many females?" Archie replied with a smile.

"You're right there. Just where are you taking them to?"

"My Master Lord Lansdale has just rented a house outside Market Weighton and the house has no servants."

"Well that's far enough away from Leeds to get the ones you want out of our hair. Remember these girls are no saints and will steal anything that isn't nailed down. Yes I can let you have ten girls, how old do you want them?"

"Twelve to sixteen, no older for we will train them ourselves."

Archie was surprised at the number of girls between the ages he wanted who were in the orphanage section of the poorhouse. These were children who had been found on the street or brought in by their parents as Archie had and left in the care of the city leaders, some already forgotten. Many were transported to the colonies when they became too many.

The girls were all dressed in grey rough weave dresses, with no shoes and all looked forlorn as they sat on the benches in what was their dining room. The tables and benches were scrubbed white and it was a pity the children weren't as clean.

"I am looking for ten girls who would like to be house maids. Do any of you want to do this work and get out of here? I can vouch the head of the house is a kind, but strict person who won't have you beaten unless you do something very wrong. I would rather have volunteers, so come forward any who would like to do this work." Archie said standing behind a dais which stood in the corner and was high enough to scan the whole room.

Without any hesitation twelve girls stepped to the front, all were within the age Archie was looking for.

"I wanted ten, but I see there are twelve of you that makes a problem," Archie addressed them and then looked at the Superintendent. "Can I change that to twelve?"

"Certainly, but it will take a couple of days to clear it through the court."

"Can they be separated from the others?"

"No, but I can give permission for them to be temporary released, but not to go outside the city limits. Firstly you will have to pay the fees and fines," the superintendent replied and Archie could see he was glad to get the girls out of his care.

"Let's go and do that now and I'll put them up in an Inn until the papers are signed. I also have to get them suitable clothes while I am waiting."

The Inn keeper gave Archie a wink and a smile when he asked for rooms for his charges. The girls were used to sleeping close together so three rooms were enough, two for the girls and one for Archie. Instead of going to the outfitters shop he had the proprietor come to the Inn and had him measure all the girls. The clothing was off the shelf items, but at least they would be presentable. Also he had two sets each of work clothes made up for each girl. Gerald's purse was begInning to take a battering, but he had more than enough to cover all he had to do.

The court cleared the girls, but they had to wait an extra day for the work clothes to be readied, then they left on a hired four seated wagon for the journey to their new home. Not one of the girls was sad leaving Leeds and were all smiles and happy, singing and waving to all they passed. It took just over two days, stopping overnight at Inns along the way, for a meal and sleep.

During the journey Archie was weighing up each girl, for surely they wouldn't reject any advances he made in the future, but he would leave well alone until Gerald saw them.


Gerald driving a two-wheeled trap stopped for the night at an Inn about 10 to 12 miles from Hull, in the shire of South Cave. It wasn't only the fact that it was getting dark, but there was a storm coming in from the North Sea. Even this distance inland the sea gulls were covering the fields. After getting his horse stabled and his trap put into a shed to protect it from the rain he walked round to the front entrance.

Shackled to a seat with little or no protection was a middle-aged Chinese woman, sitting on the ground with her knees up to her chest trying to keep as warm as possible. One thing that made Gerald mad was seeing people treated like dogs, left outside with no consideration for them at all. He gazed down at the woman and then stormed into the tavern side of the Inn.

"Who has shackled that poor woman to the bench outside?" Gerald asked in a voice loud enough to be heard over the noise in the tavern.

The clicking of the dominoes stopped and heads turned to a brute of a man standing at the bar with a tankard in his hand, which easily held a quart. The man turned and faced Gerald and it was obvious from his ruddy complexion that he was slightly under the weather.

"What is it to you, she's my cook and she's only a chink, they live like animals anyway, so I treat her like one," he said laughing at his own joke and looking around at everyone.

"Bring her inside, there is a bitter cold wind blowing from the north-east and it's starting to rain."

"Bring her inside! Here amongst human beings, you must be mad, let her shiver where she is," he again laughed and turned and looked at everyone else who laughed weakly. It was obvious that this was the local bully boy, he was big enough, easily a head taller than Gerald. If it came to a fight Gerald knew he would be hard-pressed to even keep him off.

"I'll go and bring her in, give me the key please." Gerald said holding out his hand for the key. What he got was a slight cut just above the thumb, for the man had drawn a knife and lashed out at him. Gerald was quick enough to pull back his hand, but not before getting a slight cut.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.