Iptomas
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2006 by Cylis Derrens

The people of Ipto benefited from both goddesses as both the harvest and the number of newborns and couples greatly increased. The other gods became jealous, Zeus most of all. As he desired both goddesses he was not happy to see them spending so much time with his rival. Without directly influencing the leaders of neighboring cities he managed through suggestion to have them attack Ipto.

He thought the plan most clever as he could not be directly connected to the invasion. Unfortunately for him Demeter and Aphrodite intervened first.

Demeter destroyed the harvests of the attackers so they could not give fresh supplies to their troops, and caused the stored food to rot. Aphrodite inspired many of the soldiers to fall in love with the women of Ipto so they deserted their armies.

Soon Zeus had no one who was capable of fighting the city of his enemy. In fact his actions had only caused Ipto to become stronger. Now they had one of the strongest armies in the whole of Greece.

As Zeus stormed about Mount Olympus furious that his tactics were not working Hera thought it was time to speak with the young god Iptomas alone.

Traveling to Ipto she found him in his usual place by the temple.

"Greetings goddess it is an honor to meet you. How goes things with your husband Zeus? He seems troubled with something. I have not seen the storm clouds around Mount Olympus cease their thunder for many days and nights." Iptomas said.

"My husband Zeus is a proud and hot tempered man who is easily angered." Hera replied failing to give the reason for that anger.

"I imagine his failed attack on my city must have upset him greatly." Iptomas said.

Seeing the look of hesitation on Hera's face as she tried to not to give away her husband's secret went not unnoticed from Iptomas.

"A most disastrous turn of events don't you think my Queen?" Iptomas asked.

"Why do you call me queen when you do not acknowledge Zeus as your king?" Hera asked.

"Because I have no reason to bow to him." Iptomas replied simply.

"And with me you do I suppose?" Hera asked. Touching a petal of one of the flowers in the garden as Iptomas admired its soft orange color.

"When I first came here I heard a story. It spoke of a young couple who met by chance each disguised as someone else. They returned to their lives each unaware at the time who the other truly was. The man sought her because he desired her and the woman to punish her husband for being unfaithful but she never told her husband who was in fact a king.

A child was formed from their union, a child that threatened her husband in the distant future. Upon discovering the identity of each other they hid their child in a faraway land to save his life hoping one day he would return.

My question is do you think the mother would know her son if they ever met after so many years? Would she miss her son as he has missed her all his life?" Iptomas said.

Hera's mouth was dry from excitement as she looked at Iptomas studying his face.

"Did the son meet his father? Did he witness what became of him?" Hera asked in reply.

Iptomas nodded replying, "He did indeed. He saw the unjust torture of his father and sought to end it, but could only manage to buy his father a short reprieve from his suffering.

In that time he was told of where he came from and who he truly was. To the son the visions of his father and mother had been the wishful dreams of an orphan. He met his father and was told of his mother who brought him into this world."

Hope filling her heart Hera asked, "And is the son disappointed by the sight of his mother?"

Shaking his head Iptomas looked down at the woman who had born him into the world replying, "Nay, he is not. She is the woman in his visions that he reached out for when he was afraid as a child."

Stepping forward into arm's reach of his mother, Iptomas asked, tears flooding his eyes, "Does the son disappoint his mother?"

Reaching out Hera laid a soft hand on her son's face marveling as she saw her eyes and the face of Prometheus.

"Never, my son is perfect." Hera said crying with tears of joy.

As he knelt down before her on both knees Hera cupped his face in her hands. Drawing her to him she hugged her full grown son's head to her bosom embracing her child for the first time since she was forced to let him go.

"My son has come back to me. How could I not be happy?" Hera said.

Mother and son closed their eyes enjoying their moment as long as they could. Later Hera embraced her newly realized granddaughter Fedora whom she had already met.

"What shall be done now?" Hera asked looking at her son and granddaughter.

"Zeus must be dealt with. Too long has he ruled selfishly unchallenged." Iptomas said.

"But do you have to kill him? Is there not another way?" Hera asked earnestly. Despite his faults Zeus was her husband and she loved him.

"If I can I will spare him for your sake but I make no promises. I don't know how close the battle may be." Iptomas answered honestly.

Hera nodded thanking him for at least leaving that option open. Iptomas' thoughts were not on vengeance but on ending an escalating conflict that had to be stopped.

Transporting himself to an open dirt field Iptomas called out a challenge to Zeus uncovering the fullness of his presence that had lain hidden. Zeus heard the challenge and appeared before him.

Summoning an image from his mind Iptomas covered himself in the black and silver trimmed armor of a hoplite; a heavy armored Greek warrior.

Holding a spear in his right hand he had a shield strapped to his back and a sword girded to his side. Zeus looked to the skies above summoning dark thunderclouds in response. Aiming Iptomas launched the spear at his foe with a powerful heave. A lightning bolt shattered it and bright sparks shot everywhere.

The bright illumination blocked Iptomas from Zeus' vision. When the brightness was gone so was Iptomas. Zeus heard something behind him and dodged to the right as Iptomas came from his left slicing into his arm.

Grunting in pain Zeus turned to meet his attacker firing another bolt of lightning. Hiding behind his shield Iptomas deflected it away and charged forward smashing the shield into Zeus' face crushing his nose.

Stunned Zeus was sent reeling as he tried to regain his vision and block out the pain. Sweeping Zeus' feet out from under him Iptomas sent him to the ground.

Pressing his sword to Zeus' throat Iptomas said, "You are husband to my mother so I will offer you this one chance: yield or die!"

Looking at the blade pointing at him Zeus said calmly, "Very well, I yield you are king."

Removing the point Iptomas replied, "I never wanted your crown Zeus. I want my father freed and to be left in peace. That is all I ask. Do that and you may keep your life for I do not desire your throne or your title."

Zeus couldn't believe it.

"Truly?" Zeus asked.

"Do you accept my terms?" Iptomas answered.

Zeus nodded and Iptomas heard his father's voice as he was freed from his chains by Hephaestus. With that Iptomas disappeared to be with his father leaving the confused Zeus alone.

It obviously had never occurred to him that Iptomas would not want to be King of the Gods. He had underestimated the man and returned to Olympus to speak with is wife Hera.

Upon seeing him Hera embraced him. "Iptomas told me you were safe. I felt his thoughts as they entered my mind. I am glad you are alright. Let us see to that wound though." Hera said.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.