Iptomas
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2006 by Cylis Derrens

Demeter soon left returning to her adopted daughter and Iptomas felt the need to wander and think on everything that had happened. Traveling far and wide he came upon a small hill overlooking a stream lined by brush and trees. The sound of crying below caught his attention and he ventured forth in curiosity.

Peaking through the brush he spied the form of Aphrodite sobbing over her broken heart. Iptomas was so intrigued that he felt he was not in danger so this was obviously not a trap. Deciding to find out what was going on he appeared before her.

"Why are you crying?" Iptomas asked.

His sudden appearance startled her bringing her mind back to the world around her.

"Where is your Goddess Demeter? I thought she was with you." Aphrodite asked hurt.

"You were spying on us?" Iptomas asked taken aback. He must have been too preoccupied to notice her presence.

Aphrodite nodded replying, "But you needn't worry about me any longer. I will bother you no more. I know when I am beaten."

The truth was that she had seen Iptomas happy with her and try as she might deep down Aphrodite could not deny him that. He was a good man and she was a good woman and they deserved each other. Who was she to stand in the way? What did she have to offer? They both were parents but Aphrodite had no children.

She had never let a man get that close. It had always been a game to her, and she had enjoyed watching mortals fall in love even if she could not until now. Now she felt a deep emptiness inside and it made her heart ache. For the first time she was unsure of herself, unsure of the way she had chosen to live her life.

"Am I simply a prize to be won? Is that why you chased after me with such interest?" Iptomas asked her sitting beside her on the grass.

Aphrodite wanted to make it easier on both of them. She could not stand being so close to him and know that she could not have him. It was torture for her to be so near to him.

Lying Aphrodite said, "Yes of course it was as if you were a fine prize. I have other things on my mind that you need not be concerned with."

Iptomas knew instinctively she was lying. She was hiding the true reason because it hurt her. His mind searched for the cause and the reason came to him almost immediately.

"Tell me you don't love me. Tell me you don't care." Iptomas said looking at her.

Looking the other way Aphrodite said, "You give yourself too much credit." Taking a breath she did her best to seem convincing.

Aphrodite managed to keep her voice steady and calm as she said, "Of course I don't."

"You're lying." Iptomas said. His words weakened Aphrodite's resolve to the point she almost lost it.

"What do you want from me?" Aphrodite asked her voice filled with desperation.

How she longed to tell him, to lay her soul bare to him and to the world but she was afraid. What if Iptomas refused her? She knew she could not bare his rejection. It would be too much for her. She wanted to leave and tried to get up, to run away and flee him like a wounded deer.

All she wanted to do was escape find a place to bury her feelings and forget him. Perhaps in time she could go back to the way she was, so carefree and free willed. Now she was unable to get him out of her mind and wanted so much to be with him, for he could fill the void dwelling in her heart.

Iptomas grasped her firmly but did not hurt her. His firm grip not allowing her to escape as she had been planning.

"To hear you tell me the truth. Do not run from me Aphrodite. Turn and look into my eyes and say what is on your heart." Iptomas said his voice filled with patience and compassion.

Turning to look at him her eyes filled with tears.

"Why torment me so? You have your goddess. A better one even. Who am I? Did I not chase you only to have you flee from me? What do you wish to hear?

Do you want to hear that I have thought of you every day since the moment I saw you? That as time went on, as I watched you from afar, my feelings grew deeper? That I for the first time in my life desired a man to have children with, to hold me when I grew cold and lonely? I am not the one for you so why does it matter?" Aphrodite said on the verge of an emotional breakdown.

Wrapping her in his arms he felt her bury her face in his chest and cry wetting his clothes with her tears.

"What is the world coming to that two women care for me and I for them?" Iptomas said aloud. Aphrodite looked up surprised her tears still flowing for the moment.

Getting up Iptomas said, "Never have I dealt with such a thing. I am unsure of what to do. I suppose I should be alone to think on the matter, but it will be a hard choice, this I know already."

As he left new hope burned in Aphrodite's soul. Perhaps she could still have a chance with him. If such a thing was possible then she was determined to be worthy of that chance.

Iptomas returned to Ipto unsure of how to handle the situation. Fedora appeared saying, "Something wrong father?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.