Iptomas - Cover

Iptomas

Copyright© 2006 by Cylis Derrens

Chapter 3

Iptomas himself began to wander, reflecting on Demeter's words. As much as he tried he could not help but want a child of his own, perhaps a daughter. Feelings of loneliness finally caught up with him as he neared the coast in the late evening.

Standing on a beach he wept into the sea. As the tears struck the tides coming in and out, something happened though Iptomas was unaware of it as all the doubts he had concerning having a family came out at once in the form of those tears, and there was great power in them.

The tears being swept out to sea began to make the water bubble and foam around them. Iptomas fell asleep on the shore that night. He awakened to see a young woman watching him dressed in shining white robes and golden sandals as she knelt in the sand.

"Greetings father, I see you are awake." The girl said.

Iptomas was about to deny such a thing could happen when he looked into her face. The resemblance was unmistakable. Looking at her he judged her to be about sixteen.

"But how? How is this possible?" Iptomas said thinking aloud.

"I was born from your tears that spilled into the sea. From them you gave me life." She replied.

"Do you know what I know?" Iptomas asked.

The girl nodded replying, "Yes father I do, and I am grateful for that knowledge as well as the life you have given me."

Standing up Iptomas said, "It appears I must be more careful when letting my emotions take over me. It seems that you will need a name. Fedora I think will suite you nicely. What do think?"

The name had simply sprung to his mind and he hoped she would like it.

"I would be happy to take that name father." Fedora said.

"Good, then Fedora it is." Iptomas said pausing for a moment, "I don't know what to do next. I expected to be a little more prepared when I had a child of my own."

Smiling Fedora replied, "You needn't worry father all will come in time. Enjoy the moment."

Raising an eyebrow Iptomas said, "Not even a day old and yet you seem far wiser than I."

Reaching out she took her father's hand in hers and looked warmly into his eyes.

"We each were born with gifts. I can see all the things you will do and could do." Fedora said.

Astonished Iptomas asked, "You can see the future like your grandfather?"

Thinking about it for a moment Fedora knelt down and began to trace lines in sand. Kneeling down on the soft sand he tried to get a closer look at what she was doing. When she was finished she pointed at what she had drawn.

"Each line represents a choice you make. While other things can affect the result many times you will decide which way your path will lead you. I see each choice and the result. Unlike my grandfather I don't see just what will happen but the possibilities free will creates.

To me what will happen and what could happen are the same. It is a simple matter of which path is chosen that brings about the outcome. That as I said is one of my gifts." Fedora said.

"What are your other gifts?" Iptomas asked curious.

"As you created me from your thoughts and desires, I also may create new life and whatever else I wish. Does that make sense?" Fedora said.

Nodding Iptomas replied, "It does indeed. Like my father before me you have taken some of my gifts and enhanced them. This is similar to the abilities of mortal children and their parents.

Often they take on certain traits as they grow up. It seems this world is not too unlike the one I was raised in."

"But as you said we must be cautious. Our wills can affect the world around us in ways that we could not possibly conceive of." Fedora reminded him.

"Somehow I doubt that you would share such a problem with your gifts." Iptomas said.

"You forget my grandfather could see the future too and he did not see Hera in her disguise." Fedora replied.

Iptomas was forced to agree with her.

"You make a valid point. I shall look to you for guidance on the subject." Iptomas said offering his hand to help her up as he himself rose.

Taking it Fedora said, "I shall do my best father."

Reaching out Iptomas embraced his child for the first time.

"It is all anyone can ask." Iptomas said.

Fedora returned his embrace content with having a caring parent who trusted her. Not wanting to stifle her curiosity Iptomas encouraged Fedora to wander and look at the world for herself. It was during these wanderings that she came upon the Goddess Demeter and her daughter Persephone as they basked in the warmth of the noon sun.

"Greetings Goddess, a pleasing day is it not?" Fedora asked.

Catching them by surprise appearing from nowhere just as her father could she startled Demeter, who turned to see what was behind her.

"May I ask your name lady?" Demeter said trying to be polite.

Curtsying Fedora answered, "I am Fedora daughter of Iptomas."

"I was not aware Iptomas had a child." Demeter said rising to her feet along with Persephone.

"I was born not long ago. In fact I have you to thank for my birth. Your words describing the love of your daughter touched my father's heart and he wept for having never experienced the love of a child nor imagined he would do so in the near future.

From his tears and the sea I sprang to life, and so I have both of you to thank for my life. In a way you are my mother. Without you I would have never been born." Fedora said.

Touched by Fedora's words Demeter embraced her.

"I thought I was blessed with only one daughter but the Fates have seen fit to provide me with another, and I gladly accept their gift. Come sit with us and tell us of the things you have seen." Demeter said welcoming her.

They talked for hours and Persephone and Fedora went off to play in the lake. It was then that Aries enraptured with sight of the beautiful Fedora thought his chance had come to capture her for himself.

He tried to sneak up on the young woman and steal her as his bride. As he approached a tree sprang up from the ground its limbs tying him and holding him still.

Turning around Fedora said, "I had wondered when you would show up. I see you thought to kidnap me, but you found it much more difficult to do so than you planned."

Angry and embarrassed at being caught red handed Aries shouted, "Let me down!"

At this Fedora laughed saying, "Perhaps when lust has left your body and mind I will indeed let you down. A few days should suffice."

It was then that Demeter appeared rushing to the lake shore where they were standing in a panic. She had heard the commotion and feared the worst. What she saw made her burst out laughing.

"It seems young Fedora is far more wily than she appears. She has caught a snake." Demeter said. Persephone also giggled glad the God of War was getting just what he deserved.

"Let the snake hang for now. Artemis can send one of her nymphs to cut him down in a day or two. By then he should have cooled off and learned his lesson." Demeter said.

The other goddesses welcomed their new member warmly. Fedora was quick-witted and friendly. Aphrodite herself took the opportunity to learn all she could of Iptomas through his daughter, and the more she learned the more she wanted him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.