Strays - Cover

Strays

Copyright© 2006 by Steve Rust

Chapter 8: Another Incident

Things were going good. The foundation was coming along great. Tim and An were happy and sickeningly sweet; that is when they came out of their suite. There were lots of strange noises emanating from there. They must have installed an exercise room up there because they always looked like they just ran five miles when they came down.

Heather was in heaven with lots to do and lots of physical exercise possibilities around. From her 7 mile walk-abouts, to the lap swimming in the half size Olympic pool, to all the re-decorating around the place, she was busy.

We weren't sure yet whether we would go somewhere up north for the summer, maybe a house on the North Shore of Lake Superior, or stay here and tough out the summer.

Mai was an enigma. She was going through a period of transformation. I could feel, through our connection that some serious changes were happening, both mentally and physically. She had blossomed into a beautiful young woman. Gone was the stick like, nine year old appearing girl she started out as.

She was still very petite but proportioned perfectly, and still looked like a china doll with her big eyes and long shiny black hair that was now half way down her back. It was when you looked in her eyes that you saw a glimpse of the mature mysterious woman she had become.

As far as her mental development, I could ask her who the thirteenth pope was, or to recite the periodic table of elements chart with all atomic weights and she could do both at the same time and give a biography of the pope as a bonus. Scary.

We talked, and she said things were coming to a head and she could feel it wouldn't be long before her purpose would begin. When I asked her if she knew what that purpose was, she said she only had glimmers of it now and then, but would know soon. We would just have to wait and see. I felt sad that she might soon be leaving me. It's no fun to have your daughter leave the nest even if she was ready to fly.

We took a walk one day, way down the beach which ran for miles up the coast from our property. It was a beautiful day. There was a brisk trade winds breeze coming in off the ocean. The sound of the waves rolling up the shore made for a peaceful feeling.

Because we were off the property and out of the secure area, I wore my belly pack with my Glock M23 with extra clip and my cel with push to talk if I needed to reach Tim. We were both wearing swim wear and I wore a T-shirt to keep the skin cancer off a little. We walked barefoot on the hard pack, making it easier to walk. I loved the feeling of the waves lapping over my feet.

We talked about what the future may bring. Mai said she would get flashes of future events but they were erratic. Sometimes they didn't even make sense. At other times they were clear and had meaning. She hoped this would even out some day.

We were just approaching a large breakwater that stuck out from the beach at a right angle. This was constructed of enormous boulders that were piled haphazardly upon each other and ran about 600 yards out into the ocean. They helped keep down the erosion of the sandy beaches by blocking the prevailing wave action.

Just as we came even with the first stones, eight men dressed in black wet suits ran out from behind the breakwater, brandishing machine guns and pistols.

They were screaming at us to get on the ground.

I pulled the quick release lanyard on my belly pack and drew the Glock, stepping in front of Mai.

I heard Mai yell, "Don't, Grandpa!"

I hit two of them before they started firing and I felt the impacts on my chest. Everything went numb and I couldn't feel myself.

As I started to slide to the ground, I saw Mai's hand as she extended it by my right side and almost casually waved her fingers at the group, almost as if she was dismissing them.

As my knees hit the sand, I thought my eyes must be going because all of the men were suddenly turning to sparkly little bits like a bunch of dust motes in a sunbeam.

As I hit the ground, they were drifting away on the breeze.

I was lying on my back with my head in Mai's lap.

She was stroking my chest and arms and saying, "Oh, Grandpa, why did you do that? I'll take care of you. It is time now for me to act."

I felt warm all over and remember thinking, "Is this how it feels to die? I thought I would feel cold all over."

Mai lightly stroked over me from the top of my head, down over my shoulders, across my chest, to my waist. She stroked up my arms and repeated herself.

While she did it, she talked to me.

"Grandpa, this tells me it is time to start my mission. These men were sent here because someone knew we are here. Luckily, they didn't know how ready I am. Living in our family with the peace and security we have has vastly accelerated my development. It is time now for me to go. Know though, that I will always be with you and am only a thought away, if you need me."

She continued, "What I am doing now is healing your wounds. In addition, I am removing all the health problems you have. You will no longer have diabetes. Your coronary arteries will no longer be plugged and all the stents they put in are gone. I have re-arranged the spinal deformities caused by your prior wounds and removed the effects of the osteo-arthritis you had. Remember to stop taking all your pills from now on. I am doing the same thing for the problems Grandma has, concurrently.

"This is not a panacea. It will not extend your life indefinitely. What it will do is make you stronger and more able to handle your parts of the mission. You will know everything you need to know when you need to. I am going send you back to the house. Remember, I love you. Please take particular care of Kim for me. She is going to be very special."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.