Strays
Chapter 5: Upside Down

Copyright© 2006 by Steve Rust

Fall arrived. It had been three months now since the incident and no one had leaked my ID yet. I found that unbelievable. Of course, I hadn't heard anything from the authorities yet either.

An and Mai had settled in and I didn't know what we would do, if they weren't part of the family. Heather and An had bonded closely, like mother and daughter, and like hyper little bees, buzzed around the house always busy on some project. They were continually talking to each other in broken fragments of thought that apparently only they understood. Women!

Mai was my shadow. If I went somewhere she was there, silent and smilingly watchful. Nine times out of ten Chucky was there too. Oh, I didn't mention, I lost my dog. Anywhere Mai went, Chucky went too. He slept with her, followed her into the bathroom, lay at her feet in the computer room, and squeezed between us if we were on the loveseat. I could see by their interaction that she spoke dog.

One day I got a phone call. It was the investigator, John Woschick, and he asked if he and a member of the County Attorney's office could meet with me.

I said, "Sure, where?"

We set up a meet for an 11:30 lunch that day at the TGI Fridays in his city. I told him I would have Mai with me and he said that was fine.

I told Mai about it and asked if she wanted to come.

She smiled at me and said, "Well, it's finally moving along. Of course I'll come. Someone has to look out for you."

I just shook my head and sighed.

We showed up right on time and they already had a booth in the back where we could talk privately. We shook hands and John Woschick introduced the Assistant County Attorney, Jim Webb.

After the server took our order, I asked, "Why the friendly lunch instead of a meeting in one of your offices?"

Mai poked me and gave me a stern look and whispered, "Play nice."

"Lets just enjoy lunch and we can talk after," Webb said. "I can assure you it is all good news."

While we ate, we chatted about general things keeping away from talk about the 'incident'.

Webb turned to Mai and asked, "How has your life been with Mr. North, Mai?"

"My mother's and my life with Grandpa and Grandma has been wonderful. We feel we have finally found a home and family. May I thank you for your office's help with the INS?"

I looked at her thoughtfully. We had gotten an immigration attorney and had contacted the INS to update An's green card. Within six weeks, she had her permanent residency. We had also contacted Los Angeles County about a Birth Certificate for Mai and had it in two weeks.

I looked at Webb and he seemed uncomfortable.

I said, "Did your office have something to do with the ease with which we were able to handle the INS and Birth Certificate issues?"

He sighed, and said, "Well, in a way. We obviously ran a background check on you and things got a bit out of hand. When we requested your military file, we opened a hornets' nest.

"Instead of the file, we got a visitor from the Department of Defense the day after we submitted the request. He wanted all the information on what we were working on.

"We let him go over the case file on the incident and he made some interesting comments. He laughed when he read you shot them all in the head and told me to tell you that you must be losing your touch. Only three were between the eyes. Why did you shoot them all in the head?"

I was already getting that sinking feeling again. The one that wasn't between the eyes was the one who got me and he was lying on the ground; bad angle.

I said, "I reverted to my Army training. You always plan on the opposition to be wearing ballistic vests. Did this visitor have a name?"

Webb said, "No, but he was about 6'6", 280#, with a square face and black hair with a streak of white from the temple back."

"Oh Christ, Brick is still on duty. I would think he would be retired by now," I thought.

"OK, go on," I said.

Webb continued, "Well, he gave us a written summary of your military career, but most of it was blacked out and stated the duty was classified. Then, in your last two years, suddenly you were assigned to the Pentagon in 'casual' status and then retired.

"The record did show a lot of decorations, some with 'classified' instead of descriptions. So, you got the Distinguished Service Cross and the Silver Star with two oak leaf clusters; none of which had descriptions of the action?"

I looked at him. He looked back with a small smile.

I said, "What does this have to do with the 'incident'? I have a philosophy. The past is done with and gone. It means nothing. The future is not here yet and we can't affect it. (Mai nudged me with an elbow at this) So, we live in the present. What you are telling me means nothing. That was then, this is now. I am not the same person that I was then and there is no going back."

Webb answered, "Sir, we feel that the person you are now is shown by what you did in your past. We scheduled this meeting here rather than at an office to show our respect for you and your sacrifices you have made for your country.

"We also got your medical records summary and it is interesting to note that the in hospital treatment you received for multiple bullet and shrapnel wounds and your three spinal surgeries were just prior to the award of the medals that were classified.

"We presented the case to the Grand Jury with all pertinent background and they deliberated three hours and returned a no bill. There will be no charges against you and they wanted me to pass on their respect and feelings for you."

Woschick, who had been pretty quiet up until now, took over at this point.

"Mr. North, there are just a couple of items I have for you. One is this," and he handed me a padded envelope with evidence tape across the opening.

"Here's your weapon back. We fired it for ballistics and safeguarded it. We have no further need for it.

"The other thing I want to pass on is that our intel guys are hearing that the gang the four belonged to doesn't seem to be interested in you. You interfered with the four in what they considered their gang initiation.

"The gang got so much heat from the fallout afterward that they are laying low and don't want to stir up any more attention. They are mainly into drug dealing and constant rousting by the cops is making them go broke. That being said, I would still watch my back." He smiled.

I smiled back, "I always watch my back."

Webb said, "Well, I think we have covered everything. Do you have any questions?"

"Not a one," I said, smiling.

"Then I just want to say it was an honor meeting you, and we wish you and your family the best of luck for your future."

We shook hands all around and headed for home.

On the way home, I told Mai I had to stop at the Super America gas station/stop and rob, and use the ATM. My walking around cash was getting low.

"If you need anything, or can think of anything Grandma or your mom needs, grab it while we are there."

We swung in and I hit the ATM while Mai looked around. After I finished, I turned to her and she was holding three Nut Goodie candy bars.

I said, "Ah, buying one of the major food groups, huh?"

"Yup, one each for Grandma, Mom, and me. I know you can't eat them with your diabetes."

We went up to the counter and I laid them out.

Mai tugged at my sleeve, "Grandpa, buy a Powerball ticket, please?"

I looked at her in surprise.

"OK, if you want to."

We used to buy a Powerball ticket now and then, but quit because it's just plain boring. You buy them over and over, and basically you have to hit the Powerball number and at least one other number to get anything. Besides, it doesn't take a math genius to figure the odds are so far out that your chances of getting hit by a stray meteor are far greater. That's what surprised me about Mai asking for one.

I told the lady, "Three Nut Goodies and five Powerball."

Mai said, "No Grandpa, just one Powerball."

"Make that three Nut Goodies and one Powerball."

I paid, gave Mai the Nut Goodies and the Powerball ticket and we headed home.

That girl is smart. She knew what to bring the ladies at home. They all sat around eating around the edges of their Nut Goodies and moaning. I went into another room.

I was happy to get my Glock 27 back. The Model 23 was OK, but a lot heavier to carry. While the ladies were waxing orgasmic talking about Nut Goodies, I went to my shop and tore the M27 down, giving it a thorough cleaning. While I was at it, I changed the batteries in the Lasermax. Who knows how much use it got while the cops were playing with it?

I got finished up and reloaded it with my favorite; Hornady TAP (Tactical Application for Police) 155gr FPD (For Personal Defense) rounds.

After I cleaned up, I retreated to my office and sat staring at my screen saver and went over in my head all the recent events and tried to determine what next steps we needed to take for our family. Hearing someone talk about my military experiences had me on the verge of flashbacks. I meant it when I said I live for the now. Good men died and I feel I owe it to them to live well because they can't; many more didn't die but now live the rest of their lives with the physical and mental damage caused by their service.

I still wear my POW/MIA bracelet from the Vietnam era with the name Capt. Benjamin F. Danielson, USAF, 12/05/69, Laos. To this day, we still don't know his fate. But some of us are still here and the best thing we can do is make a good life for our loved ones and help those in need.

Later they made me go over the entire lunch and I gave them chapter and verse. Mai interrupted frequently to interject the information I left out about my military record. Heather knew about it already and I didn't think An would be interested. I was wrong.

Things were relaxed now around the house. An was starting to bloom. She was shedding the head down submissive attitude she came with and was happy and cheerful. Now that she had pretty much healed from the damage she suffered it was very apparent she was a beautiful woman.

She might make five feet in height and wasn't even 100# soaking wet. She was tiny and petite and I could see where Mai would be just like her when she matured. She fit in perfectly with Heather and they had no conflicts that I could see. Heather told me she wouldn't be able to stand to see her go now.

Mai was Mai; the girl/woman of mystery. I had become very close to her and loved her like a daughter. I also knew that she was going to make life very interesting. What made this mystery girl tick? It was going to be fun watching her come into her own. All the rest of us could do is hang on and enjoy the ride.

We met with the investigators on a Thursday and by Sunday morning I was back in my 'present time' mode. Like a dog, I liked routine with no surprises.

Sunday mornings were great. I got up early, before anyone else was stirring, took the two dozen or so pills I needed to stay alive, heated up my Chai, let the dog out, got the Sunday paper in and settled in to read.

For those of you not familiar with Chai, it is just the South Asian word for tea. In this case it was my own homebrew made from Stash Tea's Double Spice Chai loose tea blend that I had been buying off the Internet for years.

This tea blend is made from black tea, ginger, nutmeg, clove, cardamom, and coriander. I was lazy so I didn't make it like the purists do. First I got the Pyrex glass 4 cup and 2 cup measuring cups. I put about three heaping tablespoons of the loose tea in the 2 cup, filled to the top with water and nuked it in the microwave for 4 minutes.

While that was happening, I put enough honey in the 4 cup to cover the bottom. I let the tea steep for 4-5 minutes then poured it over the honey through a small strainer. I stirred well, to incorporate the honey, filled the 4 cup the rest of the way with skim milk, and poured it into a pitcher.

I stored it in the fridge and it made enough for three generous servings, one each morning. Until now I had been the only one drinking it, but of course, Mai had gotten hooked and we both sat and sipped our Chai in the morning. It's pretty aromatic and leaves the memory of its scent for awhile.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.