Tangent - Cover

Tangent

Copyright© 2006 by Gina Marie Wylie

Chapter 3: This Isn't Fun

Tuck pulled a pair of binoculars from the seat pocket of the van and then clambered up on the roof, before putting the binoculars to his eyes.

Judy watched him for a second and then shaded her eyes to look at the dust herself. It was too far away to see much beyond that it was slowly moving towards them.

Tuck hopped lithely down, and then stood looking at them for a long second. "Okay ladies, time to go. Get in the van."

"Is there a problem?" Mrs. Flowers asked.

"I think so. They look like the men we saw yesterday afternoon."

Judy shivered. She hadn't liked what she'd seen, even if she hadn't seen much inside the rainbow waterfall.

Everyone scrambled for seats and in a minute they were going relatively quickly over the desert, leaving a tall plume of dust behind them. After a bit, though, they slowed, and then finally stopped.

"There's a spot a short distance from here that I know. We used to play hide and seek in a big rock pile when I was a kid; we drove our parents crazy because they were afraid we'd find snakes." He smiled at them. "We never saw any snakes, but that was then and this is now. Be careful. Bring your personal gear with you when we move over there.

"The rocks run all the way down to the Verde River. I want you to find a spot close to the water where you can drop your things, then be ready to follow instructions."

"What are you going to do?" Judy asked, worried.

Tuck turned to her. "I'm going to be careful. I want all of you to be, too. I want to see what we've got here, in as controlled a fashion as possible." He gestured outside the van. "Now please, gather your gear and start moving. There's a wash about halfway to the rocks, be careful as it is steep. Take your time, we have lots of it."

Judy gathered her backpack, and then helped Lydia get hers on too.

"Should I bring my guitar?" Lydia asked Tuck.

He grinned and nodded.

It wasn't nearly as easy to get where Tuck wanted them to go as it looked. Judy had to take Sarah's sleeping bag -- Sarah's arms had all but given out. Elspeth though, sniffed in derision when Mrs. Flowers asked her to carry her sleeping bag.

It was cool inside the rocks, surprisingly so. Tuck had pointed the way and Judy had led the others deeper into the mass of boulders. The rock pile was like what you would get if someone dropped house-sized boulders in a jumble. It was about a hundred feet tall, and was a warren of tunnels and chambers, some large, some very small. There were a million passages going every which way, but most were short, coming to dead ends.

Tuck seemed to know the way and he quickly led them through until they were about ten yards from the river, with a flat sandy area between them and the rushing water. Everyone else dropped their packs with a sigh, while Judy simply slid hers off and left it propped against a rock.

Tuck was gone without a word before Judy finished turning around. Judy contemplated what to do. It was Mrs. Flowers sitting wearily on a rock, saying and doing nothing, that decided her.

"I'm going to check out what's going on. Everyone stay here," Judy announced to the others.

To Judy's surprise, the woman nodded. Mrs. Flower's face was pale, but had a tinge of hot red. She's sunburned, Judy thought. Further, Mrs. Flowers was puffing badly, obviously exhausted.

She had to be exhausted to let a thirteen-year-old boss her around. Judy shook her head, but kept her eyes open as she moved back towards where they'd entered the rocks. It wasn't nearly as maze-like as Judy remembered and the dried mud and swirls of sand on the ground made it simple to follow their footsteps.

Judy found Tuck laying on a rock in the shade, a short-barreled carbine leaning against a rock, close to his hand. He eyed her and then shook his head.

"This could go south here, real fast." He waved out into the late morning sun. "They are approaching slowly. How long they will be cautious, I can only speculate. It would be a really good idea, Judy, if you would get back a ways. A bullet is bad enough, but with all these rocks there will be a lot of ricochets. Those are beyond bad."

"You shouldn't be here by yourself," she told him.

He chuckled. "I agree. I'd like to have my forward air controller over to my right, my artillery liaison just to my left. A company of South Vietnamese rangers backing me up. With a few Phantoms and Skyraiders, some organic artillery, even a few mortars -- this would be a piece of cake. Yep, with a little help like that, this would be a cakewalk."

Tuck turned back to looking outside. "Except, we have to play the hand we were dealt. Which means, you need to keep your head down."

"Why did you trust me last night?" Judy asked the question that had burned inside her, for half a day.

"I needed the rest." He waved outside again. "In case of something like this, it would be better if I was fresh. You would either stay awake or fall asleep. If you stayed awake, you'd be alert or not. There would be some kind of danger or not. Not the best odds I've had on my side, but given the situation, the best I could expect." He grinned at her. "You did good."

In the distance, Judy could see a line of mounted men moving at a walk towards them.

"Scoot now, get back," he told her, putting the binoculars to his eyes.

Judy took another look at the men. There were a couple of dozen of them, dressed similarly to the ones she'd seen the day before for the brief moment they'd been in whatever it had been that they were in. These men, though, seemed to be carrying shorter firearms and there were more of them than she remembered from the rainbow waterfall of light.

Judy took a couple of steps back, deeper into the shadows. She looked around and saw a gleam of sunlight a short distance away, at an angle from where she'd just come from. She moved towards it, climbing up a short slope. She could tell she'd be able to see, so she stretched out full length on the rock, then moved closer to the shadow's edge, putting just her eyes above the rocks, but still back in the shadow.

She looked out, able to see well enough. The men had stopped about two hundred yards away and she could faintly hear commands being passed. It was too far to make out the words, but Judy was sure that one of the men in the middle was the one who gave them. He was on a larger horse than the others and seemed to sit more erect on his horse.

Sure enough, after a moment, a banner was unfurled by the man next to the one Judy thought was the leader. The man who bore the banner swirled it. The banner contained a green device on a red background, next to a golden sunburst. An axe with a point, Judy thought. What either the axe or the sunburst meant, she had no idea.

Her attention was drawn back to the leader when he raised his right arm straight up, held it still for a second and then dropped it horizontal, pointing straight for them. Judy sighed and closed her eyes. After a few seconds, she opened them again. The men were now riding slowly forwards. She kicked herself for being so stupid. This wasn't good, but there was no shooting. Not yet. Time to duck once it started, but far more important was paying attention.

The mounted men reached the small ravine and dipped out of sight. After a few seconds, Judy realized that they hadn't continued straight on, they had stopped out of sight. It seemed Tuck realized that too; from off to her right, there was a single rifle shot.

Judy didn't see anything that Tuck could be shooting at; she decided that he had probably fired a warning shot. She nodded to herself. That didn't prepare her though, for when Tuck emptied his pistol. Six shots, one right on the heels of the other.

Why did he do that? Judy stared out over the ground between her and the ravine. Because there's a whole bunch of them. He's trying to make them think twice about coming on. There was a movement ahead and she saw a single man climb up from the ravine, on foot this time. He walked forward, confident and alone. He was their leader, Judy recognized.

Judy moved back, quickly returning to where Tuck was. He looked at her and shook his head, a faint smile. "Well, it's down to hard choices."

The man stopped halfway to them, shouted something.

"That doesn't sound like anything I know," Tuck said with frustration. "How about you?"

Judy shook her head. "I know a little Italian. That wasn't it. I don't think it was Spanish, either."

"No, it wasn't Spanish," Tuck agreed.

Tuck cupped his hand to his mouth. "Parlez vous Francais? Sprechen sie Deutsch?" His shout was as loud as the other man's. It was easy to see the man shake his head.

"Well," Tuck said shaking his head, "like I said. Hard choices. Stay here and keep out of sight. If anything happens to me, you turn right around and run like the wind to the others. Try to swim the river. Stay together, head for rough ground where horses can't go, try to keep some of your gear, but don't take any chances with the river. Hide what you can't carry. Be careful!"

With that, he undid his holster and set it on the rocks, and then put his rifle down as well. Judy was unprepared for Tuck to stare long and hard at her. "I don't suppose I could have the loan of your purse?" he asked.

Judy looked down and frowned. Her purse was like part of her, unconsciously and unthinkingly brought along wherever she went.

Tuck waved at the lone man, standing still in the sun a hundred yards away. "He's got a little pouch. I can get away with one, too." Judy hastily emptied her purse out, while Tuck delved into his pack, a few feet away. He pulled out a pint-sized silvery flask, Judy grinned at him.

"Ah, I know, a filthy habit." He laughed. "At least I don't smoke." He put the pistol and the flask in her purse, slung it over his shoulder.

"Good luck," Judy whispered as he started forward.

Tuck didn't look back; instead he walked out, his hands away from his body, palms out.

It took forever. The two men stood talking to each other, out in the sun. The most common gesture was a headshake or a helpless shrug of the shoulders. Both men did it rather often.

Finally Tuck turned around and called out to her. "They speak something like a cross between German and Greek. I know about a hundred words of German from high school and about two words of Greek. Be patient and don't do anything. Stay down."

Judy nodded, but it was to herself. A few minutes later two of the other men appeared, carrying a bundle between them, followed by a third man. The last man stood empty handed, Judy noted, watching the proceedings.

The other two men worked for a few minutes and Judy smiled. Ah! A canvas fly! Something to keep the sun off Tuck and the other men's leader as they talked!

There was a scratch of gravel and Elspeth appeared. Elspeth glanced at the tableau. "What's going on?"

"Tuck's talking to them. He says they speak something like a combination of German and Greek. Do you know either of them?"

Elspeth snorted. When Judy didn't respond, Elspeth said one word: "And?"

"And, they're talking. A bit ago, a couple of them brought out that fly, then went back to the ravine."

Elspeth frowned and looked at where the men were talking. "Fly?"

"The canvas thing, keeping the sun off. We used to have one when we went camping. It creates a little bit of shade."

"That Mrs. Flowers is starting to get the wind up," Elspeth said practically.

"Tell her that Tuck is dealing with it."

"She got really exercised at the shooting," Elspeth commented. It sounded like Elspeth hadn't gotten exercised or the wind up about it, though.

"Tuck was sending a message," Judy told her. "Proof is in the pudding."

"Whatever," Elspeth said. "So, nothing is likely to happen for a while?"

"I don't know," Judy explained. "I just don't know. Why don't you go back and tell the others what's going on? I'll let you know if there's any change."

Elspeth looked at her oddly for a moment, then nodded. "Sure. Right. No problem. Stay calm, nothing's happening, ignore the gunfire."

Elspeth vanished back into the rocks and Judy shook her head. She had this feeling that she was older than her. Not a lot, she thought, I think she's in high school. So what if she is older? So is Mrs. Flowers!

About a half hour later the two men stood. There was no handshake, but they weren't throwing punches either. Then Tuck dipped into her purse and took out the silver flask. He took a drink, offered it to the other man, who also took a drink. Then the stranger lifted the flask to Tuck; it seemed to Judy that it was obviously a toast or sealing some sort of deal.

Tuck turned to face where Judy was watching from and called to her. "Go get the others. Leave all of the gear for now; just come out. Come slowly, hands away from your body."

Judy called out, "We'll be there!"

She moved quickly through the rocks, taking Tuck's rifle with her. The others were sitting or lying on the ground, in the usual groups. Becky and Lydia, Mrs. Flowers and Sarah, Elspeth by herself.

"Tuck wants us to come. Leave your things here. When we get out of the rocks, walk slowly forward, keep your hands away from your body."

"Oh, like this?" Elspeth said sarcastically, raising her arms like they do on TV when you're under arrest.

"No, like this." Judy mimicked the way Tuck had held his hands when he'd gone out. "Come on."

Becky and Lydia got up and started forward. Elspeth joined them. Judy stared at Mrs. Flowers, who finally got up. Judy turned her back on the woman, following the first three, not really sure if Mrs. Flowers or Sarah would come along. But, after a second she could hear them.

When they got back to the sunlight, Judy stopped, a little surprised. All of the other men were visible now, a crescent, centered on Tuck and their leader. They had their weapons in their hands, but the barrels were across their chests, the muzzles pointed at the sky.

Tuck called to them. "Come on out, please."

Judy let the rest of the girls and Mrs. Flowers go ahead of her. She'd taken about two steps when she heard a barked command, heard a rattle of sound. She'd been paying more attention to where her feet were on the rocky ground; now she saw twenty men with guns, every last gun aimed at her.

"Judy," Tuck spoke, his voice calm, "take your finger away from the trigger. Wrap your hand around the small of the stock. You understand? Carry the rifle across your body like they are." He smiled slightly. "You're making them nervous."

Judy did as she was told, trying hard not to blush from embarrassment.

Finally, Judy and the others were lined up, a smaller version of the formation the men facing them were in.

Judy could see the leader of the men clearly now. He was young, perhaps in his early twenties, but maybe a little younger. About an inch shorter than Judy, blonde-haired and blue-eyed. What had Tuck said about them speaking something like German?

Tuck reached out and took the rifle from her, holding it one handed, placing it on top of Judy's purse, sitting in the dirt. There were lines drawn in the sand. Judy smiled slightly at that, and then she kicked herself. Maps. Those were maps. Maps were important! Particularly when there was some question as to where you are!

The young leader thumped his chest. "Leit Gamelin. Diener Hos-Eh Kalvan." He pointed to Mrs. Flowers. "Spick Nohm."

"What's he want?" Mrs. Flowers asked.

Judy wanted to roll her eyes. Your name, dummy!

"This is Gamelin, I think Leit is a rank. He serves someone called Kalvan. He wants to know your name," Tuck told her.

"Mary Flowers," Mrs. Flowers said.

Gamelin pointed at Judy. "Nohm!"

"Judy Bondi."

It rolled off steadily after that, until Lydia gave her name, standing at the end of the line.

Gamelin walked to stand in front of Lydia. He gestured at Lydia's long sleeves. Lydia seemed to pick up on what he wanted and pushed her sleeves up. The man gave a grunt, then pointed at Lydia's feet.

After a second of confusion, Lydia looked at Tuck. "What does he want?"

"He wants to see if your socks match."

Judy couldn't stop her laugh, neither could Becky. Lydia just tugged on her jeans leg, lifting it up.

Finally, everyone had lifted their pants legs and shown their bare wrists.

"Is there a purpose, Mr. Tucker, for this charade?" Mrs. Flowers asked, her voice nasty.

"They don't like slavery. He's checking for chain marks."

Again Tuck's voice was level and uninflected. But this time, none of them laughed. Mrs. Flowers though, did have a response. "I don't understand."

"They think I kidnapped the bunch of you and that I'm hauling you into bondage. That I'm going to make slaves of you."

"Don't be absurd," Mrs. Flowers said, shaking her head. "There aren't any slaves any more! And we're white."

"There are no slaves from where we come from," Tuck agreed. Then he turned to Judy.

"Judy, in a second I'm going to face all of you. Raise your hand and I'll point to you. Ask a simple question; make it clear you're asking a question. A lot of the intonations in their language are like ours. I'll give an answer. A couple of the rest of you raise your hands and I'll point to one of you, then you ask me a question. A pantomime of teachers and students."

Tuck turned to Gamelin, and then tapped himself on the chest. He walked a few steps away from Gamelin and faced the girls.

Judy promptly raised her hand. "Tuck."

"Judy."

"What's the name of the river over there?" Judy pointed towards the river.

"It's called the Verde River. Green River. These people call it the Wen'rotos."

Becky and Lydia raised their hands, so did Elspeth. Tuck pointed at Elspeth.

Elspeth pointed at a cholla cactus. "That's a jumping cactus, right? Why?"

"It has long pale thorns and the little segments break off easily. It's easy to brush against one and not notice at first. Then you think it jumped at you, when you find it sticking to you, but you have moved several steps from where you actually picked it up."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.