More Than A Stretch!
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2006 by bytemangler

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 13 - The "Bits and Bytes" universe was introduced by Asa Strong with his "Bits, Bytes and Life" (BB&L) story, and much of this story takes place at the same government agency in the same time frame. There is more emphasis on computer hardware design. It is also the story of two young engineers. Steve works for the agency, and Sandy works for IBM. Most of the story takes place in Washington (at the agency) or Poughkeepsie N. Y. (at IBM).

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   First   Slow   School  

Steve -- FEBRUARY, MARCH 61

As I rode back on the train, I my thoughts alternated between the glorious memories of our time together, and the bleak prospect of being apart for an undetermined period of time. Eventually, the memories were pushed aside by the reality that tonight I would be sleeping alone in my own bed, and would not be able to reach out and feel Sandy's lovely warm body, not being able to stroke her soft hair, not being able to wash her when I took my solitary shower in the morning. I stared blankly out the window for hours, until we finally got to Washington.

I grabbed a cab to the agency, and went inside, leaving my suitcase with the guard. I found Sam and gave him a quick report on our progress, and then went to Murray's office and updated him as well. Both were pleased that things were going as well as they were, although Murray was disappointed that I didn't have a firm date for the specification yet.

As I quickly walked to my apartment, it hit me that I was being selfish, dwelling only on my own feelings about missing Sandy. I realized that she was certainly equally devastated by my departure. When I got to my apartment, I rushed to the phone and called her house.

Sheila answered, and when she heard my voice, asked me if I had had a good weekend. I was speechless for a moment, and eventually stammered out something, but she wasn't done with me. She went on to tell me about the socks I had left behind, and that I had left the toilet seat up. I heard a shriek from Sandy. After Sheila practically ordered me to come to dinner with them the next time I was in town, she relented and put Sandy on the line. We talked for a while. Apparently, hearing my voice lifted her spirits, and I know my world got happier when I heard her voice. As I had finally realized, my departure had been as hard for her as it was for me.

She told me, "Mom's really happy about everything, although the way she told you that she knew you were here was a low blow!" I "Yes, that really hit me in the gut. We'll have to figure out a way to pay her back sometime. Seriously, I'm quite relieved that she's OK about it."

We talked a little longer, and then we hung up. I thought that she was feeling better; I knew that I was. I went back downstairs to collect my mail, and unpacked my suitcase. I opened a can of chili, heated it up, and ate it, resolving that by the time Sandy came to Washington, I would have learned enough to be able to at least cook for her, even though I had no hopes of matching her culinary accomplishments.

The next morning I went to the agency, and went looking for Sam, finding him in his office. After we both sat down, I said, "Sam, I think that the Reaper specification is going to be pretty good, but I'm still worried about getting the data we need in and out of the box. If we can't do that on a timely basis, the usefulness of this machine is going to be significantly reduced."

"Yes, I know. How soon do you think that you'll know more?"

"The tape guys wanted a few days to kick around some ideas. I told them that we really needed a 'scheduled invention'. If I don't hear by the time Paul calls me with the schedule for the spec, I'll see what I can find out."

"OK, keep me posted."

I went back to my office, and started sketching out the program design for our application, on the basis of what I remembered about the control word structure. As I went along, I made a few notes about things that I knew we would need if they weren't already there.

Paul called me Friday morning, and told me. "Steve, it's going to be at least three weeks before we would have a draft specification document for you to review."

I said, "OK, if that's the best you can manage, we'll have to live with that date." I then gave him the list of the things I wanted, and asked him to pass it on to Sandy and the group. Finally, I asked him, "Have you heard anything from Chad about the faster tapes we need?"

Paul answered, "No, nothing yet. I'll have him call you as soon as we hang up."

We chatted for a minute longer, and then hung up. In a few minutes, my phone rang again.

When I answered, it was Chad. He said, "Steve, we may be onto something. I don't want to get your hopes up yet, but we'll know more by sometime next week - I'll call you back."

"Let me know. If it looks good, I want to get up there as soon as possible to find out how the parameters look."

Chad said, "Sure thing, Steve", and we ended the call. I was elated at the idea that I might be able to see Sandy again sooner than we had hoped.

Saturday morning, my phone rang as I was still half-asleep. When I heard, "Good morning, Steve, dear," I was suddenly wide-awake, and said, "Oh, Sandy, its so good to hear you again."

"It's wonderful to hear your voice! Yesterday was my birthday, and Mom had the phone company put an extension in my room. I just woke up and wanted to call you. She told me to go easy on the long-distance charges, because after the first month, I'll have to pay them."

"Happy Birthday! You never told me. That's wonderful that you have a phone. Long distance rates are best weekends and nights, which run until seven in the morning, if I remember right."

"Yes, you may be getting wakeup calls. By the way, Paul told me that he talked to you and said to allow another three weeks for the spec."

"Yes, but I talked to Chad yesterday. He may be on the track of something, and I'm hoping with all my heart that I can come up before that."

I could almost hear her face lighting up as she said, "Oh, Steve, I do hope you can. That would be wonderful!"

We talked a little bit longer, and I said, "Dear Sandy, I've missed you so. My bed is so empty when I wake up."

"I've missed you too, Steve. I hope it isn't too long. Goodbye for now, my dear one."

Revitalized, I sprung out of bed, and was soon in the shower. As I finished, my phone rang again. It was my mother, who said, "Steve, how are you?"

"Ma, I'm doing very well. I hope everything is OK there."

"Yes, there's nothing to worry about. I called to tell you that week after next, your father has a conference in Washington, and I'm coming down with him. We could spend some time together and catch up with what you've been doing."

"Well, you know that I can't talk much about my work, but I'm glad you're coming. I've decided that I need to learn more about cooking. I know you made me learn some of the basics, but I want to learn more of the important techniques for things like stews and the like."

"OK, I'll do what I can. I remember you picked up the basics with no trouble, so it should go easily. We'll be staying at the Willard, call me there Monday afternoon and we'll take you out to dinner."

I was glad that my parents would be visiting. I hadn't seen them since graduation, more than a year before. I finished dressing, fixed myself a quick breakfast, and soon was on a Cabin John streetcar. I took it to the end of the line, right at the C&O canal, and started on a brisk walk north along the old towpath. The weather was still mild, and I had a great day. It was almost as good as the week before when Sandy and I had gone on our hike. Thinking of her again lifted my heart, and I made good progress up the trail. I stopped for a sandwich, turned back, and got back to Cabin John just as it was getting dark.

When I looked again at my tiny kitchen, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to do any serious cooking there. Sunday I perused the apartment ads in the paper and also walked around the neighborhood, writing down addresses and phone numbers wherever I saw a sign advertising apartments. I realized that, although I had been lucky enough to find a furnished place the first time around, I would probably have to buy my own furniture when I found a new place. When I got back to my place, I picked up the paper again, and began looking at the furniture store ads.

I had been able to save almost all of my Navy pay since my military housing allowance actually covered more than the cost of my present apartment. My only large expense had been almost two month's pay I had spent on the civilian clothes I had to buy to wear to work when I first got to Washington. I knew that I would need furniture, bedding and linens, dishes and cookware, and who knows what else. I started guessing at prices and adding things up on a piece of paper. It looked like my savings would cover what I was going to need, but there wouldn't be a lot left over. I had hoped to be able to have enough to get myself a car. In any event, I'd try to make sure that any new apartment would have parking available.

Tuesday afternoon, I had a call from Chad. He sounded excited, saying "Steve! I think we have something. Can you come up this week for a day?"

"I'll travel up on Thursday, and we can meet Friday. Should we meet with Paul and the others also?"

"Yes, that would be a good idea. I'll call Paul and let him know to expect to meet with us at least part of Friday, and get a conference room for the whole day. See you then, but be prepared for a high price tag."

"Chad, if this is what we want, the cost to us is almost irrelevant, it's that important."

I was elated! I could hardly wait for Thursday. I called Sam, and told him, "One of the tape guys at IBM just called me. He seemed to be pretty excited about something. I want to go up to Poughkeepsie for a meeting Friday, if that's OK with you." He said, "Of course. I do hope it's a real breakthrough and not just a false alarm. Let me know first thing Monday, please."

When I went back to my apartment, I found an envelope from Sandy in my mail. In addition to a warm letter, she had sent the pictures I had taken of her. I put the best one on my bedside table, and planned to buy a frame the next day.

Then I picked up the phone and called Sandy.


SANDY, MARCH 1961

I was at home Tuesday, and the phone rang. I answered it, thinking it was one of Mom's friends, but it was Steve.

He said, "Sandy, I'm coming to Poughkeepsie on Thursday for a Friday meeting. Is that OK with you?"

I answered, joyfully, "It's more than OK! It's wonderful!"

"I'll take the train up Thursday, and get into Poughkeepsie around nine in the evening. Can you meet me at the station? I'll reserve a room at the motel. I have to go back Sunday afternoon, but we'll have a little bit of time, and, yes, I'd be very happy to come to dinner with you and your Mom on Friday."

"That all sounds wonderful. Oh Steve, I can hardly wait! Did you get my letter? I have a nice picture of you on my dresser, and I'm going to get another print to keep in my desk at work."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.