The Artist Is A Wizard - Cover

The Artist Is A Wizard

Copyright© 2006 by Volentrin

Chapter 7

"You have to understand, Frank. While there is no body, that in itself raises suspicions, particularly in this day and age. I believe you when you say Mathew Baxter is alive and well," my new criminal legal attorney was saying.

"Well, what's this 'extradition' that's in the works, that I am hearing about? If a person is innocent until proven guilty in this country, how come I have shelled out over ten thousand dollars already, to defend myself over something I haven't done?" I asked in a pissed off voice.

For over a week now the police had been on me, calling me regularly to come downtown. I had contacted my contract attorney, who suggested this guy for matters of criminal law. He was taking care of this, and the costs were already mounting. We spent several hours at the police station earlier this day, and already I was feeling harried.

"Wyoming has a prosecutor who is sharp. Face it, it is very suspicious that your friend disappears, as soon as you leave. Everything points at you being the last person to be seen with him. From a police stand point, that makes you suspect number one," he responded.

I nodded and thought. Well, I could put an end to this very quickly by getting Mathew back, but was he worth the trouble? He had plans of turning this world into a nightmare, while opening the magic fields back up.

One of the first things this lawyer did when he took my case, was ask me if I would take a lie detector test. I asked what for, as they weren't admissible in court as evidence of my guilt or innocence. He had replied that the police were going to push strongly for it, and that he himself wanted know how I would do. I had stared at him.

So he had made an appointment with a retired FBI tester who tested me. I passed it, as well as his trick 'test' questions. So after that when the police asked me if I would take a test my lawyer had agreed. While they had tried their best, I had passed their test, too. My attorney had stipulated we wanted our own 'qualified' person to read the results along with the police technician.

So here we were, three days later and I was still suspect number one, even though I had passed the damned test! Ah well, this too shall pass. As soon as I got home, I planned on contacting Garretti and having him send Mathew through the painting I had done while at the castle. This meant another trip to Wyoming, for me. I sighed at the thought of the drive I would have to make. If I flew, I had a feeling the police would be at the airport waiting on me when I arrived, so driving was the only way.

I was told by Garretti that I would have to meet Mathew at his place. That was the only representation I had made while I was in their world, and that's where the doorway come through. So I told him to have Mathew ready, and that I would contact him to let him know when I had arrived at Mathew's place. I had already placed the appropriate drawing in my traveling case.

I rented a Jeep, packed a bag and my supplies, and made the long trip to Mathew's house.

God, I hated long drives. A day and a half later saw me pulling into Mathews drive. I bumped and bounced my way up to his house.

The police had been there and gone, leaving the police tape across the doorway. I jerked the tape out of my way and gained entry fairly easily.

No, I didn't have a key. But magic made short work of the lock, easily enough. It only took a small nudge of the stuff get the door unlocked. Great stuff, magic. It responded to my will just as Garretti said it would.

A few minutes later I was set. I contacted Garretti, and told him to go ahead and send Mathew through.

"There is a problem. He will be here shortly, but you will have to wait. He was most displeased to find you had canceled the gateway you all had come through. I told him that we had found a picture in your room that you had painted, and asked him if he could identify it as a doorway.

"While he seemed most excited at the prospect, he also seemed a bit cautious. After you had left, he disappeared for a few days. It is only recently that he turned up, and he is staying elsewhere. He wanted us to bring the painting to him, but I explained it was impossible, and he has agreed to come back. We are waiting for him," Garretti explained.

It was a long wait. I went to the kitchen and made myself a sandwich and some tea. I might as well be comfortable, while I was waiting. Twenty minutes later Mathew stepped from the middle of nowhere, into the room.

"Welcome home, Mathew. I'll put the coffee on," I said, as he looked my way a bit startled.

"You bastard, you left me there with no way home!" he yelled at me.

"Easy, Tiger. You hid my only way home, insisting we stay. You forgot... I make the doorways," I replied acidly.

He had taken a few steps in my direction, but after hearing me, he stopped. He had started pointing his staff at me, and it was glowing like a 100-watt light bulb. The light finally died out and I sighed with relief. I was afraid he was going to attack me there for a second.

He sighed and limped over to the couch and leaned it against the arm of it.

"Never mind. I'll get the coffee myself. Just let me go change into something comfortable. Be right back," he said and headed for his room.

I had almost decided to make the coffee anyway when the front door burst open, and two men came through with guns drawn.

"Freeze! Police!" one said while the other moved off to the side.

I didn't move. The cop who had yelled freeze, told me to lay on the floor, with my hands clasped behind my neck. I did as I was told. They went through my pockets, and came up with my wallet, which they went through.

"Well, well, well. Frank Farrow. We have been wanting a word with you," the officer who looked through my wallet said.

Since I was safely handcuffed on the floor, the other man was moving through the house checking it. Mathew was justifiably upset when he was surprised in his bathroom, having decided on a shower before coffee. I didn't blame him for wanting a shower. The plumbing and bathing options were extremely limited in that other world.

"I got another one in the master bath! He seems to be taking a shower," I heard the searching cop yell

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.