In My Life
Chapter 3A

Copyright© 2006 by Harddaysknight

Vern Jordan was there with Bob and Cathy. He spoke to Emerson. "These two are everything to me and the missus. They are old enough to be on their own, but as parents we worry. I know the sort of things that are in front of you. We made a few drives in Texas over the years. I want you to know you have my permission to spank either one of them as the need arises." Vern showed a smile, "I couldn't ask for a better crew for them to trail with, or a better boss. I know you will do your best."

Cathy hugged her father, then Bob shook his hand. Finally, Emerson shook his hand and looked into Jordan's eyes. He said nothing, but Vern Jordan knew he had received Emerson's commitment to all he could to keep Cathy and Bob safe.

Pedro was in charge of the chuck wagon and Pat Casey rode out front with him. Ernie Hooker and Miguel took point with Bob and Cathy behind in the swing. Tom rode flank behind Cathy while Tim Robinson did the same on the other side of the herd, behind Bob. Jack Robinson had charge of the remuda and Emerson, Maria, and Billy rode drag.

As dusk approached the herd had gone almost twelve miles and Emerson was satisfied. Everyone seemed to know their jobs and performed them well. Maria had held up well, although drag was the dustiest place she could have been. From time to time Emerson had seen her cut off steers trying to quit the herd. He found himself admiring her determination. She never questioned his orders when he began the drive.

Maria had been furious when Emerson told her to ride drag. It wasn't that she felt she shouldn't be expected to handle any riding chore. She just felt Emerson was trying to be rough on her personally. She was determined to do the best job possible and show him he couldn't break her.

It was a two hours into the drive when Billy drifted through the dust and close enough to talk to Maria. "I guess Emerson likes you," he smiled. "You started in the best place."

"I think the dust has gotten to you, Billy. This is the worst job on the drive! He's just trying to teach me humility." Maria was still angry.

"Well, I could be wrong, but usually we switch positions every day. That would mean we will only have half a day of this dust. Tomorrow, those riding drag will to it all day." Billy turned to chase a steer back into the group.

Pedro had dinner ready when Emerson, Maria, and Billy rode up to the camp fire. Pat, Miguel, and Ernie had already finished and were back out circling the herd. The rest were working on their meals.

"I never knew beans and biscuits could taste so good," Cathy spoke as she dished more onto her plate. "I hope I don't gain weight on this trip. If I do, Pedro, it will be your fault."

Pedro, who had not been thrilled being named cook, flashed a big grin. Emerson knew the man would respond to the praise of a pretty girl and enjoy his job a little more. Women did bring certain advantages with them, even on a trail drive.

Tom Gordon stood as he ate. "I hope that saddle gets softer tomorrow! I feel like I won't ever be able to sit again."

Everyone laughed at Tom's discomfort. Billy spoke up, "Tom, it'll get worse before it gets better, but in a couple of days you'll feel like you were born in the saddle."

Maria joined the conversation. "I realize a bath is out of the question, but is there someplace we can clean up a bit? I feel like I have half of New Mexico in my clothes."

"Pedro, every evening when you set up camp, would you stretch a tarp from the wagon out somehow so the ladies can have some privacy." Emerson smiled, "I suspect they are more concerned about those things than these cowboys. Water is our enemy, right men?"

"Actually, Emerson, I thought I'd jump in every stream and water hole we came across." Tom laughed, "I hope that doesn't mean I'm off the drive."

Emerson knew he had a good crew, if a little unusual, and enjoyed the minutes spent at the camp fire listening to the good humored banter. It was important to keep the morale up on a difficult undertaking and this group had the right balance of youth and experience. If he could stay on top of problems as they appeared, it could be a very successful drive.

Emerson gave out orders for night duty and the next morning. "There will be four shifts of three riders watching the herd every night. Every two hours we'll switch. That should give everyone time to sleep. Decide what shift you want and we will work it that way every night, unless something unforeseen happens."

"The riders will rotate positions on the drive every morning, except Pat will lead and I'll stay at drag for awhile. Breakfast should be done by daylight. Now decide your shifts." Emerson stood by the fire and listened to the various theories as to what shift was the best.

When it was over, Bob, Cathy, and Tom had the shift after Pat, Ernie, and Miguel. Pedro and the Robinsons were next with Maria, Billy and Emerson taking the last.

Maria then surprised Emerson and the others by declaring, " I'll ride drag for a few days. I don't want any favors by starting with a half day." She looked at Emerson. "I can hold up my end."

Billy Hatko laughed at Emerson's confused expression. "I suppose I can survive back there for a while, too. You have to wonder where she gets these ideas, don't you, Emerson?"

Emerson realized he didn't know everything that was going on, but was too tired to attempt to get to the bottom of it. He simply turned and prepared his bedroll.

It seemed like he had just closed his eyes when Pedro was shaking him awake. Emerson sat up and pulled his boots on. Billy was waking up nearby and Maria was standing by the fire, drinking coffee.

Emerson was amazed at how good Maria looked. She showed no effects of the previous day and the short night. "Maria, how can you look so good this time of morning?" Emerson asked before he was fully awake.

Showing surprise, Maria responded, "Well thank-you, Boss. I bet you say that to all the hands."

Emerson laughed and then looked over at Billy. "I definitely do not! Look at that creature over there. No matter how long we were at sea, he never looked very good."

The three soon were mounted and riding out to the herd. The Robinsons went in to catch a little more sleep while Maria, Billy and Emerson circled the cattle. Emerson found himself considering Maria as he rode. She always seemed to be at odds with him. How did she figure out he was cutting her a break with the drag yesterday? He had seen the quick resentment in her eyes when he first assigned her to it. He thought she may openly question him. Instead, she was determined to show she was as good or better than the next rider. He had to admire her spirit!

The day went much like the previous one, except it seemed much longer. Emerson occasionally rode beside Billy or Maria. Both of them were in good spirits and would talk and smile into the dust. Maria seemed to be friendly and Emerson found himself enjoying an unpleasant job.

Over the next few days, a gradual pattern developed. Emerson noticed that Tom would be near Cathy as they ate at the camp fire. Bob was always eager to please Emerson and constantly asked questions about various methods of fighting. Emerson tried to give some encouragement, but a trail drive allowed little opportunity to give Bob any detailed lessons.

Tom wore a colt, as did all the men, and occasionally asked Emerson about learning to draw it fast. "Tom, I hope you never have to use that gun on a man, but if you do, remember accuracy is more important than speed. Make your first shot count. I've heard a few stories of how a fast man was killed by a slower one that shot straight. The thing is keep your nerve. Concentrate on the job and don't think about anything else. That's about the best advice I can give you," Emerson finished.

The Robinsons did their work and were quiet men, keeping to themselves and the older men seemed to be comfortable with each other. Billy was fun for everyone and had no pattern at meal times. He spent a lot of time with Bob, especially after he explained how he had shown Emerson most of what Emerson knew. More than a few times Emerson watched Billy holding his fists up and gesturing to Bob to try to match Billy's movements. Emerson smiled as he thought how delighted Billy was to have someone that wanted to listen to him.

Maria was friendly enough and she and Emerson often would sit near each other while they ate. Emerson noticed that they developed a habit of glancing at each other when someone would make a wild statement or discuss a difficult situation. He realized he would look to see Maria's thoughts and she would do the same with him.

On the fourth night as Emerson rode to the camp fire Pat Casey was there to meet him. "Emerson, there is a water hole ahead about ten miles and I rode up and checked on it. We've been lucky so far and this is a big place with plenty of water. The problem is some poor Mexican has decided to live there and has a garden near the water. We'll never be able to keep the cattle from destroying it. They will be thirsty and we won't have much control of them when they smell the water. What do you want to do?" Pat was glad to let Emerson make the decision.

"Pat, I'll head out early and talk to him. No one plants a garden along the only water within a day's ride. I guess he thought no one would try this trail again. You bring the cattle as usual." Emerson was concerned but showed no sign of it.

"If you don't mind, Boss, I'll go with you." It was Maria. I deserve some time away from the wrong end of these cattle and this man may not speak English. As you are aware, I am part Spanish and can speak it fluently. I want to see how you handle this situation."

Emerson smiled and gave Billy, who was about to speak, a warning look. "I hadn't thought of that. Of course you should go with me. Billy, take care of things back there."

The next day saw Emerson and Maria in the saddle before full light. Emerson was very aware of the girl riding with him, but tried to think about the man at the water hole. Maria had different ideas.

"Emerson, you really haven't said much about the places you've been and the things you've seen. Billy talks about a lot of things, but I would like to hear what you have to say. Mother said you told her some very interesting stories about your travels."

Emerson looked at Maria and saw she was truly interested. "Maria, I didn't realize you were interested. Ask me questions and I will try to answer them."

The next hour passed quickly as the two talked about the world in which they lived. Maria was fascinated with Emerson's experiences in lands she had not even known existed. He had the ability to describe places so she could see them in her mind. Maria realized as they rode that she had never enjoyed spending time with anyone as much as she had the past hour.

"Emerson, since you have traveled so much, where do you think the most beautiful women in the world are?" Maria was curious about Emerson's experience with the fairer sex. A man as attractive as he was had to have had women interested in him. "I've heard of the elegance of England and France and the skin and figures of girls on different islands in the Pacific. What is your honest opinion?".

Emerson didn't answer for a minute and Maria began to wonder if he would. Finally, he turned and looked at her. "Maria, I have answered all your questions as honestly as I could, but I think this will have to end this session. I have seen lovely girls in all parts of the world. They aren't limited to any geographical area. To answer your last question, and I didn't bring the subject up, the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my travels was covered with dust on an obscure trail in the heart of New Mexico Territory." Emerson then faced ahead and seemed to study the trail.

Maria flushed. She had not expected that response! She could think of nothing to say so she remained quiet. She knew Emerson had revealed a part of himself that he normally kept concealed, and the woman in her responded to it. What a way to dig out the best compliment she had ever received, and from Emerson Trask of all people!

Riding in silence, they topped a rise and saw the water a half mile ahead. It was a good sized body of water for this country, probably covering several acres. They could see a small shack to the east of the water with a garden between it and the water.

As they rode up, a Mexican in his late twenties emerged from the shack, an old rifle under his arm. Emerson looked around as Maria spoke to the man in Spanish. He noticed small toys near the shack and a few flowers growing along side it. This man would have a woman and at least one child here.

The garden showed signs of much effort but was not doing very well. Emerson could see that the soil here would not support much other that grass and weeds. The man was fighting a losing battle.

"Emerson, he says this is his place and his water. We are welcomed to water our animals but not to trample his garden. Cattle must stay at the far side of the pool. I told him our herd was too large and we would not be able to promise the safety of the garden. He says he will shoot any thing that approaches it. He needs it all for the winter." Maria finished the translation and added, "I would hate to try to make it through the winter on what this man is cultivating."

"Ask him if he will accept fifty dollars American and three steers for everything in his garden. Tell him that is my best offer, but if he finds his way to Miguel Hernandez' ranch near Morgantown, he will be offered a job and a home for him and his family." Emerson added, "Also tell him he must decide soon."

Maria looked at Emerson. "You sure drive a hard bargain. Everything here wouldn't be worth twenty dollars, and he never said he had a family, but I'll tell him."

As Maria spoke to the man he became excited and nodded his head vigorously. It was a deal. As Emerson took out some gold pieces to give the man, a young woman, obviously pregnant, and a little boy emerged from inside the shack. They were all smiling.

Maria turned to Emerson, "You were right about his family! How did you know-." She fell silent as she watched Emerson dig something from his saddlebag and toss it to the boy. The child deftly caught it, looked at it briefly, and put it in his mouth. "Emerson, what was that?"

Smiling, Emerson looked at Maria. "I always carry some hard candy with me for situations like this. Kids love it. I always did."

It was then they heard the bawling of the cattle and turned to see them topping the rise half a mile distant. Soon the entire ridge was filled with running animals as they sensed the water. There was no controlling them, nor was there any need to do so.

Maria looked at Emerson and laughed. "That sure is a nice sight, especially since we aren't eating all that dust this time. You solved that problem, although it was a bit expensive. Why did you offer so much?"

Emerson watched the herd wade into the water as he spoke, "This man has a family. The garden was mighty humble but it represented a man's effort to provide for them. Now he has something to show his woman for his effort. That leaves him with his pride. Take that from a man and he has nothing. If it came to fighting, how good would we feel to leave a child and a pregnant woman here to face the elements? I'd rather give him the entire herd than wrong, or possibly kill, a man trying to take care of his family."

The rest of the crew rode up. Pat Casey looked at the smiles on the faces of the family, even as the cattle began to destroy the garden.

"I would have to guess that you took care of this situation. He looks like the cat that swallowed the canary." With that Pat gestured to the Mexican. "I didn't realize he had a family. How did you do it?

Maria answered before Emerson could speak. "He drove a hard bargain, and got this man to accept fifty dollars in gold coins and three steers from the herd as well as a promise of a home and employment at Hernandez' place."

Pat Casey looked at Emerson for a time then nodded. "That is little enough to give a man when you are going to do something that could ruin, or take, his life. Keep track of these expenses and we'll settle at the end of the drive. Good job."

Emerson decided to let the herd stay near the water the rest of the day. Pat told him it would be getting drier for the sixty miles or so and thirsty animals lost weight.

The chuck wagon set up near the water and everyone ate together as the cattle all grazed nearby. Cathy and Tom had been riding drag and were talking about that particular piece of hell. Emerson once again found Maria's eyes and a smile as the crew listened to their complaints.

"As soon as I finish this meal I am going to go jump in that water hole!" Tom stated. "I must have twenty pounds of dust stuck to me. How could you stand it, Emerson?"

Cathy was equally vocal. "Maria, you take a bath when your hands get dirty. I can't see how you could have ridden drag all these days. It must have been awful!"

Soon after finishing his meal, Tom walked to water's edge, peeled off his shirt and boots and waded into the murky water and sat down. Soon he produced a bar of soap and began to wash the grime from his torso. Bob watched for a few minutes and then joined him. Within a few minutes Billy and Emerson were splashing and scrubbing themselves.

Cathy watched as long as she could and then removed her boots and joined the men, fully clothed. "I guess it is a good thing Dad didn't come," she laughed as she washed her hair. "I don't know what he would think of this, but it sure feels better! Come on Maria, the water isn't that great but it beats the dust we've been eating."

Maria declined, "My father did come, remember? I'll bring some water to the wagon and clean up, thanks.

Emerson left the water and went back to the camp, dug some dry pants out of his warbag. He disappeared from sight for a minute and returned to place his wet pants on a rock in the sun to dry. Maria was conversing with the Mexican man from the nearby shack.

Emerson had prevented Billy from telling Maria that he, Emerson, was fluent in Spanish. He was easily able to understand what the man was telling Maria.

He told her about Gustin's gang. They centered their activities in a wide spot in the road called Palma. They were very dangerous, especially to women, the Mexican told Maria. Cathy and Maria could expect no mercy from that gang. Joe Miller and Mike Tuleya were riding with Gustin, along with eight or nine others, including a renegade Apache. The Mexican advised that the women turn back.

Maria finished listening to the man and turned to Emerson. "He is telling me that Gustin has Joe Miller and Mike Tuleya riding with him, as well as an Apache and eight or nine others. They have been spreading fear over a big piece of New Mexico."

Emerson knew Maria deliberately neglected to repeat the part about the particular danger women were in. Thinking about Maria and Cathy falling into the hands of men like that caused Emerson to shudder. He would do everything in his power to prevent that!

The next two days passed uneventfully. Emerson managed to tell the men about the Gustin gang and to be particularly alert. He also passed along the possibility of the women being in danger, but asked them to keep that part from the girls.

Pat and Tom both voiced their concerns to Emerson. "I know exactly how you both feel," Emerson responded. "Make it a point to always have them in sight. They are far more important than the cattle. I can assure you that I am prepared to fight to the death for those girls. I think you feel the same. In fact, every man in this crew has come to feel that way. Keep your rifles handy and your eyes open."

The next day began sunny, but by mid afternoon it became evident that a major storm was brewing. As they rode, the clouds built up, growing darker by the minute.

Emerson rode to the front and told Pat and Pedro to find a suitable place for a camp, that they would stop early and be ready for the storm. The cattle were becoming increasingly nervous.

Riding back, he told Bob to be ready to get out of the way if the animals began to stampede. Emerson told him to pass word back to the other riders on that side of the herd. By this time it was prematurely dusk and Emerson started his gelding through the herd to speak to Maria and the other riders on the far side. He was half way across the sea of cattle when a bolt of lightning struck the hill half a mile behind him. Dirt and rock flew through the air and the clap of thunder was deafening.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.