Veronica Coleman - Cover

Veronica Coleman

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 8

With thanks to Jon Black for his work on proofreading this story

Veronica was sitting in the car, driven by Hector Price, going to Sir Timothy's club, this was a more enlightened men's club that did allow women to enter, although they could only be in certain rooms at certain times!

But Veronica still had to be escorted by a guide through the rooms of the club — heaven forefend that she might try to speak to another member or even (gasp) to sit in a leather-backed chair!

Veronica was amused by the way many of the club members refused to look up as her high heels clicked on the, highly polished, wooden floor, steadfastly shaking their broadsheet newspapers in their endeavours to hide from her.

Her guide knocked on a wooden panelled door and opened it; Sir Timothy was standing by the table and waiting for her, "Your guest sir!" The escort said to Sir Timothy.

"Thank you George." Sir Timothy said as Veronica's guide bowed and left the room. He shook his head and laughed, "Veronica it's so good of you to come." He said.

Veronica giggled, "I don't think I'm too welcomed here." She said.

But Timothy shook his head, "Don't worry about them, I think they would black-ball me, but I'm too important to them to allow them to vote on it!" He said, "What do you think of the place?" He asked her.

Veronica looked around and noticed a small plaque on the wall; the design was the same as the seal in Sir Timothy's office. Veronica walked up to it seemingly drawn to it.

She turned to look at Sir Timothy, "I wasn't sure if I should come, but then you had ordered me to." She said evenly — it wasn't true but then a suggestion by an important person was the same as an order.

Timothy shook his head, "Ah, look Veronica, I do need to meet you regularly and I always thought that a good meal deserves the best company, I do hope you're not disappointed in me?" He asked her with a small smile.

Veronica laughed, "I've a good mind to tell Joyce what you've said." She told him.

"Oh don't worry I have to give her all the details of any meetings with beautiful young ladies." He said.

"I'm not that young anymore!" Veronica pointed out, "And I just think you wanted an excuse to show me off to your co-members!" She said indicating the closed doors.

Sir Timothy theatrically put his hand to his left breast, "You wound me Veronica, would I do anything like that?" He asked her.

Veronica laughed again, "Of course you would, now are we going to eat or was that just an excuse as well?" She said to him smiling.

He nodded and sat Veronica at the table, he pushed a button by his hand and immediately the door opened and a trolley was pushed in by a waiter. "I hope you don't mind Veronica but I took the liberty of ordering for you." Timothy said as the soup was ladled out into her bowl.

Veronica smiled as she tasted the vegetable soup, "Very nice, and I don't think the staff would listen to me anyway." She said.

Timothy gave a laugh, "You might be surprised, look again at the waiter." He said

Veronica looked at the suited man, and then it was as if a lens was placed over her eyes and she could see him wearing a cloak, such as the one in her dreams, but when she blinked it was gone.

"Your service honours me." She said formally (although not sure where the words came from).

"It is my honour to serve you!" The man said with a bow and then he left them to continue with their soup.

Veronica looked at Sir Timothy, "You've done something to me haven't you, with all your flim-flam and trickery?" She said.

Sir Timothy shook his head, "I haven't, honestly Veronica all I've done is to introduce you to a new aspect of your life, one which you always had within you, and you're the one who's discovered it."

Veronica shook her head, "Oh no, your father introduced me to Roger and ever since then you've both been watching me, I'm a guinea pig for your Organisation and I'm under glass!" She said with a small smile on her face to show she didn't really mean it.

Sir Timothy gave a small smile himself, "Ah, I've been found out — Tell me Veronica has anything... strange happened to you either last night or today?" he asked her.

Veronica stopped eating and stared at him, "So it was your doing! Meddling with me I suppose!" She said a touch of anger in her voice.

Sir Timothy raised his hands to quieten her, "No, not me... well, not really." He said.

"What do you mean, not really?" Veronica asked.

Sir Timothy was looking uncomfortable, "Well it's seems that the other chaplains are complaining about increasing interference from previous Chaplains, it could be something to do with the time of the prophecy being so close, and so they are trying to reduce the chance of us losing." He looked apologetic as he spoke, "They mean well, but can cause problems if not controlled." He added.

"Well it almost caused problems with Sally and April in the office... and anyway why would one of them talk to me directly?" She asked him.

Sir Timothy sat up straight in his seat, "When did that happen?" He asked her.

And so Veronica went through her dreams, her conversation with William and the meeting with Bemalin, Sir Timothy started writing notes on his napkin. He interrupted her story a couple of times to ensure his facts were straight.

Veronica carried on, "... and then when Bemalin asked if I was threatening him a girls' voice said, 'use the cloak Grandmother' and suddenly I knew what to say!" She said.

Timothy looked up in surprise. "Grandmother?" He said astonishment in his voice.

Veronica nodded, "Yes, I have to say I'm not sure what it meant either. I've no other children apart from Sandra, and I'm sure I would have remembered any others." She said.

Timothy nodded, "Well we don't really understand about the dreamtime, it doesn't seem to relate to a real fixed time frame..." He said as if this explained everything, but seeing Veronica's puzzled expression he continued. "Sometimes we get 'glimpses' of things that could happen as well as those that have happened, in most cases there is nothing we can do about them, we're only seeing them, like watching a television programme, we can't interact with these or vice-versa, but it would seem that somehow..." He broke off in thought.

But Veronica finished off his sentence, "Somehow my future... grand-daughter? Managed." She said.

Timothy nodded, "Indeed, it seems that she is a very strong person." He gathered his thoughts again and then his face dropped, "I'm sorry Veronica, but I'll have to keep a closer watch on Sandra, she's the only possible relative you have to this... contact." He said.

Veronica sighed, "I don't suppose I could stop you! In the meantime how do I stop these interferences in my working life?" She asked him.

Timothy became interested again, "Why? What happened at the Partnership?" He asked.

Veronica began explaining the events of the morning, how April made a small mistake and what occurred following. Again Sir Timothy made notes and nodded when she mentioned Sally's pay-rise, but when he heard about April's promotion his eyebrows went up. "Veronica, how do you feel about April?" He asked.

Veronica thought for a moment, "She's an excellent worker, eager to please and is very accurate in her work. If I hadn't realised that she was in the Organisation I would have recommended her to you.

I've read her file and I must admit that she's done a lot for herself, I didn't like the threat used by that 'other person' against her, but I agree she should be promoted." Veronica said.

"Even after her slip?" Timothy asked watching Veronica who nodded.

"Yes, even with the slip she would have more responsibility to keep her on an even keel." She said.

Timothy nodded, "Fine, I'll pass on your recommendation." He said, and that was the end of the discussion.

The rest of the meal was very filling and the conversations were of lesser importance, but Veronica couldn't be sure if her talk with Sir Timothy would have any effect on those 'past Chaplains' but she could only wait and see.

Veronica's afternoon at Alpha 3 was an anticlimax to the morning; she had meetings with the army group, then intelligence and communications. Although these were just to get her used to the command structure, she wouldn't be able to put names to everyone yet.

When she got home Sandra was, of course, already there. She saw the state her mother was in and made some tea while Veronica had a nap.

"Wow mum, if that's what you're going to be like after a day at work, I'd hate to think what a week will do to you!" Sandra said when Veronica did wake up.

Veronica smiled at her daughter, but couldn't help wondering who would be the father of her future grand-daughter.


The weeks flew pass, Sandra was accepted into her first choice University and was now living in 'digs' with four other girls. Veronica started working a few days at the Partnership and more at Alpha 3; she started living in the large house at times.

Sally and April carried on her work at the Partnership, rarely having to disturb Veronica.

Using her position Veronica had managed to get Hector assigned as her personal driver, something he was happy to do as it allowed him to test the new gadgets that the research and Development section had been producing; this meant that he was also in charge of training the other drivers on the new systems.

Veronica was also pleased to find that the 'inner Chaplains' had taken the hint as she wasn't disturbed by them, although she did find that they guided — or prompted her — at times, and she found it was easier to listen to them than ignore them!

One of these times happened when she was returning to the Alpha 3 after a brief visit to the Partnership.


Veronica felt a touch, not a physical one but a pull; she knew she had to follow it. "Can you turn right at the next road?" She asked Hector.

"That will take us off course Veronica." Hector said cheerfully.

Veronica felt her manner change, "Corporal Price, you will turn right!" She ordered.

Hector stiffened, "Yes Colonel!" He acknowledged.

Veronica felt herself return to normal, "I'm sorry Hec, I don't know what's wrong but I have to follow this!" She said.

Hector took a quick glance away from driving, "That's alright Ma'am, I shouldn't have questioned you." He said although Veronica could feel that he was slightly hurt by her actions.

She reached forward and touched his shoulder, "No Hec, you should always be able to do that, it's just that I feel as if I'm being pushed somewhere." She said and then felt it again, "Turn left at the next junction." She said.

This time there was no argument and Hector followed her instructions, Veronica watched as he picked up an earpiece which had a microphone attached, he spoke softly so that she couldn't hear his words.

A few minutes later a phone by her side began to ring, she answered it, "What's the problem Veronica?" Timothy asked her in a carefree tone.

For some reason, and she could never say why, she answered him, "Grand Marshal, I feel there is something here that requires my attention, I may be delayed." She said.

Timothy was quiet for a moment before he responded, "Very well Chaplain, do not get into a situation, I'm sending backup to you now." He said and broke the connection.

At the same time Hector seemed to listen to something, he stiffened and then pressed a button on the steering wheel; a small orange light came on which, after a few seconds, turned green.

Intrigued Veronica asked, "What is that Hec?"

Hector looked back briefly, "Well ma'am that's a locator device, the green light shows we're being tracked by base..." He hesitated before carrying on, "Ma'am, I've been commanded to go active." He had a troubled tone in his voice.

"Which means?" Veronica asked him.

"I'm to defend you against all attacks ma'am." He said in a steady voice as if he was steeled for her argument.

Veronica thought for a moment, the feeling was of urgency but not danger, "Very well, but only when I say so is that understood Corporal?" She said.

"Yes Colonel." Corporal Price, no longer Hector, replied.

Veronica noticed a vehicle, similar to hers, was now following at a discrete distance. Price also noticed and pressed a button on the dashboard, immediately two amber lights came on before they turned green.

"I take it they're on our side." Veronica asked.

"Yes Colonel, Identification Friend or Foe, something the air force has on their planes." He spoke into the microphone again before turning to Veronica, "they're under orders to watch for problems but not to act unless necessary." He said.

Veronica nodded, she seemed to be getting more information, the target was a person, young but troubled, she tried to get more but only found out that it was a young woman, she was being watched but it wasn't an attacking watcher, they were there for a reason.

She passed this onto Price, "I see Colonel, what do you want to do?" He asked her.

Veronica didn't hesitate, "She needs help, and we can supply that. We have to help her Corporal." She said.

"Of course ma'am... we're heading into Soho now." Price reported to her and to the base, he also passed the information that Veronica had given him to the base and the two following cars.

Following Veronica's instructions they came along a quiet street, there was a group of women just standing by the curb, Veronica told Price to slow down until she came up to a young woman, she had a false smile on her face and lent down to Price's window.

"Looking for a good time?" She asked him but Veronica opened her window.

"What can you offer me?" She asked the woman.

At first the woman looked blank but she recovered herself, "Anything you want, I'm very good." She said, "I know a place where we'd have fun." She added with the smile pasted on her face.

Veronica opened the door and the woman stepped in. She looked at the interior of the vehicle, "Not much room for doing anything in here!" She said.

"I know somewhere." Veronica said and locked the door, "Hector back to base." She said.

Price moved the car away unhurriedly, he noticed a car start up and was following them, he focused the camera on the car and pressed the IFF button; a new light came on that remained yellow. "What do you want done about that?" He called back to Veronica showing her the car in the screen.

Veronica thought for a moment, "Bring them in we're going to need their information!" She said. Price spoke into his headset and then concentrated on his driving.

The young woman was looking around confused, "Look... what is this... are you cops?" She asked slightly scared now.

Veronica looked at her and shook her head, "No, we're not the police, but we can help you. What's your name?" She said softly.

"Candy!" The young woman replied.

Veronica laughed and shook her head, "No Jackie, your real name!" She said, not knowing how she knew that much.

It was enough to frighten the woman, "How did you know... I've never told you..." She said.

"No, I know you haven't. Now what is your real name?" Veronica asked gently.

The young woman dropped her head, "it's Jackie..." She acknowledged, "Jackie Gold. He told me never to tell anyone!" She added looking around to make sure they were alone.

"Who did?" Veronica asked her.

"He did, you know my... my pimp!" Jackie said dropping her head. And then she looked up, "He has Mandy. If I don't get back to him he'll hurt her and make her... like me!" She said.

Veronica nodded and picked up the phone. A woman's voice answered her, "Base here Colonel." She said and Veronica recognised her voice. "Good afternoon Charlotte, I'm going to need one of the maids to meet the car, I have a distraught female passenger with me, her name is Jackie Gold she is?..." Veronica looked at Jackie and judged her age, "About 15 years old. Can you do the normal?" She said hearing Jackie gasp at the revelation.

Charlotte acknowledged and said she'd pass the instructions on, meaning that they would do a check on Jackie as well as having one of the maids to be on hand. Veronica thanked her and hung up the phone.

"How did you know how old I am? Have you been snooping on me?" Jackie asked her, really scared now.

Veronica looked at her seeing how young she really was, she hugged the girl. "It's alright now Jackie, you're safe!" She said.

Jackie was now crying in Veronica's arms, "But he's got Mandy, what's going to happen to her?" Jackie cried out.

"We're going to get Mandy away from that man, but we've got to have more information before we can help you." Veronica said gently.

"He's having me watched, they always do that." Jackie said.

"What do you mean?" Veronica asked her.

"Well, I take the John to a multi-storey car park, get him undressed and then I give him a blow-job or a hand-job, and then they turn up and pull me out of the car. I don't know what happens afterwards but they always have a camera with them." Jackie said

Veronica nodded, "I see, so you get the victim 'warmed up' and then they arrive and take pictures, then they tell him your age and blackmail him I suppose, how long have you been doing this?" She asked.

"Only a couple of weeks. He told me I had to do it or he'll get Mandy onto the game instead! I couldn't let her do that, she wouldn't survive." Jackie said.

Veronica picked up the phone again, Charlotte answered. "Yes Colonel?" She said.

"Charlotte can you arrange for Sir Timothy to assemble a squad, we have a rescue to arrange, also when my escort pick up the people following me can they ask them who's employing them and where I can find a girl called Mandy, that is our objective." Veronica said.

"Of course Colonel, I'm told that Sir Timothy is standing by for your arrival, I'll pass the information onto him." Charlotte said and broke the connection.

Veronica turned to Jackie, "Now girl relax and don't worry, everything is under control." She reassured the girl hoping that it was right.


When they arrived at Alpha 3 Veronica was happy to see that Rachael, a girl of Jackie's age, waiting for them, Veronica made the introductions and left Jackie to Rachael's charge.

She turned to Corporal Price, "Hector have I done the right thing?" She asked worriedly.

He smiled at her, "Veronica, ma'am. You did exactly right; there was nothing else you could do. I'm proud to be with you Ma'am." He said and saluted her.

Veronica shook her head, "Oh Hector you're just trying to make me feel better!" She said but Hector shook his head.

"Oh no Ma'am, that is what we're supposed to do, it just that you're doing it!" Hector said his face showing his honesty.

Veronica smiled at him and entered the house; she made her way to her office and entered it. Charlotte was there with a blue file in her hands, "This is all the information I could find on Jackie Gold." She said as she handed it to Veronica.

Veronica thanked her and then asked her to wait for a moment. Charlotte was surprised but did so, taking a seat as she waited.

Veronica looked up at Charlotte while she scanned the file, "Charlotte, you're part of the Program aren't you?" She asked.

Surprised Charlotte nodded, "Yes ma'am, they were the ones that pushed me onto Sir Timothy's section, after going through army school of course." She said as if it was normal.

"Right, now listen to this..." Veronica read from the file. "Jackie Gold, born... well she's 15 and a half now, parents Gordon and Anne Gold both deceased, currently with social services at Lavender House Children's Home, Southwick, London. One sister, Amanda also at Lavender House, reported to police for shoplifting on three occasions, but let off with a caution each time. Home reports she's rebellious and hard to control and recommends that she should be placed in a stricter environment, the last entry is for last week." She summarised.

"She seems to be a difficult person from that file." Charlotte said evenly.

"Yes, I agree... but that doesn't match up with the vulnerable young person I had in the car, she was scared for her sister more than the trouble she would be in. This report isn't right, also she's been out on the streets for two weeks, how is it that the home hasn't reported this?" Veronica asked her.

Charlotte thought for a moment, "Either she's been very good at hiding what she's doing... or the home is involved somehow?" Charlotte said her brow wrinkling at the thought.

Veronica nodded her head, "I find it strange, what can you get on this Lavender House Children's Home?" She asked.

Charlotte, with Veronica's permission, picked up a phone and dialled a number, "Ruby? The Colonel wants a full check on Lavender House Children's Home, that's in Southwick." She glanced at Veronica before she continued, "... And Ruby, can you treat it as a Project subject, label it as C55 and mark it urgent!" She said with a command tone in her voice she listened as Ruby repeated the instructions and then hung up.

"I need to find out more about The Project I think?" Veronica mused to Charlotte.

Charlotte smiled, "Of course Colonel, what do you need to know?" she said but then a buzzer interrupted them, Charlotte pressed a button on an intercom and listened, "Sir Timothy's at the front Colonel! May we delay the Project talk until later?" She asked.

Veronica nodded, "It seems that I'm not destined to learn much about it." She said shaking her head; her only previous knowledge was from Mrs. Wilson several years ago.

Charlotte gave an apologetic look before she went to the door, Veronica followed her out and they made their way to the front door.


Outside Veronica was surprised to see a group of people with Sir Timothy and so she waited for him to come into the house.

"Veronica, I've received a preliminary report from Intelligence and thought you might want to meet with some people who we'll need to help us in this." He said as he entered.

"I'm surprised that you were able to get them at such short notice, where should we go to?" Veronica asked.

Sir Timothy smiled, "Well I think the dining room would hold us all." He looked at Charlotte, "Would you be a dear and get the room ready for a meeting, we might need an eye or two to watch over us. Perhaps you might also let our new friend look in as well." He added — meaning that he wanted the meeting recorded and monitored; he also wanted Jackie to look at the people in the group.

"If you're certain Sir?" Charlotte asked him and received a nod in reply, Charlotte turned and walked away.

Veronica was introduced to the group of men; she felt a need to concentrate on some of the men, including one who was associated with the Social Services, a Thomas Smythe — he accentuated the pronunciation. Who gave Veronica a disdainful look as she was introduced to him.

Charlotte returned to inform Sir Timothy that the room was ready; Sir Timothy thanked her and led the group to the room. He made sure that Veronica was at the head of the table and that they knew she was in charge.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.