Veronica Coleman - Cover

Veronica Coleman

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 6

Edited by Jon Black

Dinner that evening had an air of celebration about it, Veronica was accompanied by Sir Bartholomew, Sandra by Captain Williams and Joyce was with Timothy. When Veronica asked Sir Bartholomew about his wife, he told her that Maureen was busy with her other work and left it at that.

There had been an amusing incident when Sandra had pulled herself away from Veronica, they found out where Sir Bartholomew was and Sandra thanked him.

"My dear Sandra, I didn't do anything." He protested — reminding Veronica of Robert.

But Sandra was insistent, "Yes you did, you had those people watching me, making sure that I was alright. I think it's very kind of you to look after my mummy as you are."

Veronica was about to correct her but Sir Bartholomew spoke up. "Well my dear, we think so highly of your mother that it's only fair we look after her family." He said smiling.

Veronica understood that he didn't want her daughter to know the real reason for the watchers.

They found dresses in Veronica's room, both of an excellent quality and fit. It made Sandra feel quite grown up. "Oh Mummy it is so lovely!" She said and Veronica had to agree.

By the door of the Dining room Sandra was introduced to Sir Timothy ("Please Veronica call me Tim!") and then Joyce as Timothy's fiancée. There was a squeal from the young girl as Joyce showed her the engagement ring that she had received.

"And how have you two been getting on?" Veronica asked the pair of them and enjoyed watching Joyce blush.

"Oh... we've been (ouch) busy." Tim said after receiving an elbow in his side and then he held out his arm for Joyce to take.

Dinner was announced by Wilson and the doors to the Dining room were opened.

The large table was resplendent with candles and flowers in a celebratory display, looking around casually Veronica could find no sign of the cage that Timothy had been housed in the previous night.

"I see you've tidied up!" Veronica noted to Wilson.

"Of course Ma'am." Was Wilson's only reply as he pulled a chair out to allow Veronica to sit down; Veronica gave a small smile as she watched Captain Williams do the same for Sandra, who did so gracefully. The Captain then sat between Veronica and Sandra.

Sandra blushed slightly as she adjusted her position but Veronica gave her a reassuring smile.

"Gentlemen and Ladies, I'm happy that you are all here." Sir Bartholomew said. "Miss Coleman I'm sorry you had such a scare today, I assure you that it will not happen again, I have the assurances of others that this is so." He said to Sandra.

"I also have to say that my son, Timothy, will soon be marrying Joyce, my wife is already picking out where the wedding will take place." At Joyce's panicking look he smiled, "It's always been the tradition of this family that the bride's parents supply only the bride!" He turned to look at Veronica, "and that is one tradition we are not going to change!" He said pointedly.

Veronica looked up at him, "I never intended that you should!" She said which made Timothy and Joyce laugh. Sandra and Captain Williams just looked on bemused.


The meal itself was almost a repeat of the previous nights, except this time there was a proper sweet course — of trifle. "I understand that our cook has assured that the normal alcohol additions have been omitted due to Miss Coleman's presence." Wilson informed Sir Bartholomew.

"But I like Sherry Trifle!" Sandra protested.

"Indeed Miss, however Cook normally prefers Brandy Trifles and thought it might have been too much for you." Wilson seemed unperturbed.

"Please thank Mrs. Wilson for me." Veronica said ignoring Sandra's 'umph!'

"I will ma'am." Wilson replied with a bow in her direction.


After dinner Wilson led Sandra and Victoria into Sir Bartholomew's study, he was behind the desk and rose up when they entered.

"My dear Sandra... I may call you Sandra mayn't I?" He asked with a smile on his face.

"Err... Yes, of course Sir Bartholomew." Sandra said slightly confused with his manner.

"Now my dear, I must apologise for what happened this morning, I'm sorry if Colleen and Bridget frightened you when they followed you... why did you show yourself to them after you'd given them the slip?" He asked.

Veronica remembered the conversation she'd had with her daughter that morning and was interested as well.

Sandra kept watching Sir Bartholomew before answering, "I was going to stay hidden until they left... but then one of them mentioned your name and I knew that it would be alright." She admitted.

"So your action in the car was just a bluff?" He prompted her.

Sandra shook her head, "Oh no, they weren't telling me the truth and so I would have screamed out, at least until Mom spoke to me." Sandra said with a smile on her face. "I wasn't really scared of them even though I knew they were experts at self-defence." She added.

This piqued Sir Bartholomew's interest, "And how exactly did you know that? It's something that we don't advertise." He asked her.

Sandra thought, "It was the way the one I spoke to stood, it was as if she was prepared for something, the only thing I could think of was a Kung-Fu film, tense but relaxed." She said frowning as she spoke.

Sir Bartholomew smiled, "I know exactly what you mean Sandra, and yes, you were correct Colleen wasn't sure how you'd react and so she was ready to subdue you." He looked at Veronica, "She wouldn't have hurt Sandra, and she would just stop her from harming herself or anyone else." He said.

"What did you do with them?" Sandra asked slightly worried that they had done something wrong.

"I heard their report and then told them to be more circumspect, you shouldn't have noticed them at all, it was just that I was concerned about your safety last night that they drew the short straw." Sir Bartholomew said, "As for doing anything with them? Why I've done nothing, they're back on duty... this time taking care that they're not seen." He added and regarded Sandra who was studying his face.

Sandra nodded her agreement and then smiled.

A cough from Wilson made Sir Bartholomew look up and then nodded, "Oh yes, I don't suppose you'd like to see Mrs. York?" He said to Sandra.

Sandra looked at her mother, "Do you mind Mum?" She asked worried.

Veronica smiled at her, "Not at all darling, I'm sure Sir Bartholomew will arrange everything." She said.

"Of course, I'm sure Captain Williams would be pleased to take you, I'll just ensure that he's ready, if you ladies will excuse me?" He said rising from his chair and he left the room.

Veronica held onto her daughter, "I'm sorry darling, but it's all due to the work I'm doing that put you into danger. I'm going to tell Sir Bartholomew that I'll quit." She said bluntly.

Sandra looked at her in shock, "Don't you dare Mother! It wasn't you that did this, and anyway you've been happier since you started. So no Mother, you won't." She said simply.

"Do you mean that darling?" Veronica asked.

Sandra looked at her mother, "Of course, why else would I say that." She said with a smile.

Veronica just hugged her daughter; there was nothing to be said anymore.

Sir Bartholomew re-entered the room and the pair separated, "Captain Williams will be outside in a moment." He said and then looked at Veronica, "Would you mind if I have a quick word?" He asked.

Sandra looked at her mother who nodded, and so she followed Wilson to the car.

Sir Bartholomew waited for the door to close before he spoke. "I've had second thoughts about what we were saying earlier Veronica. I'm going to allow you to have more time with Sandra, perhaps later on..." He paused, "I'm sorry Veronica but today's events have told me that you and Sandra need each other at the moment."

Veronica looked at him, "But I thought you..." She began.

"I'm sorry Veronica, but it is for the best. Just carry on as you are... and thank you." He said


Sandra was still quiet when Captain Williams helped her into the car, but while they were travelling she thought of something. "I haven't anything for Mrs. York!" She exclaimed, "Can we stop somewhere?" She asked.

"Corporal?" Captain Williams asked.

"I know just the place sir, they'll still be open." Corporal Smith said.

This then reminded Sandra of something else, "Oh no, I've got no money!" She wailed.

"Miss Coleman that is no problem at all! Sir Bartholomew's thought you might need something and has authorised all payments, you just choose and it will be paid for!" He said.

Sandra shook her head, "Oh no, if I'm going to buy anything then I'm going to pay for it!" She said and crossed her arms.

Captain Williams sighed, he'd recognised the signs." Very well miss, what if I loan you some money and you can pay me back later." He said watching her.

Sandra gave a wide smile, "Would you?" She asked him.

Captain Williams nodded, "It's the least I can do." He said knowing full well that Sir Bartholomew would reimburse him anyway.

Just then the car stopped at a florist and Corporal Smith got out and opened the door, "I hope this is what you require miss?" He asked.

Sandra nodded and entered the shop.

When she came out with was with a large bunch of Orchids, she gave an apologetic look at Captain Williams, "I spent over five pounds, I'm sorry." She said handing him back the change.

Captain Williams smiled, "My dear Sandra it's okay. Now will Mrs. York like them?" He asked.

"I hope so; she has pictures of them in her office." Sandra said as the car drove onto the hospital.


Sandra was shown into a side room where Mrs. York was propped up in bed with a bandage around her head, she smiled when Sandra entered.

"Oh Sandra, I'm so glad you're safe." She said and then added, "The ambulance man said you were fine but I was worried."

Sandra nodded but couldn't answer; she found that she had tears in her eyes. "Sandra Coleman! Now stand up straight and listen to me! I'm perfectly alright; all I had was a knock on the head. If it wasn't for the doctors making such a fuss I'd be out of here, but it seems that somebody is paying for this and so I might as well enjoy the rest I'm having. Now it's not your fault that this happened and I'm certainly not going to have you crying because of some misguided sense of guilt! Now are those flowers for me? They're beautiful." Mrs. York's tone softened at the end drawing Sandra closer to the bed.

"I chose them for you Mrs. York; I thought you would like them?" She said drying her tears as she spoke.

Mrs. York smiled at her, "Sandra, it's after school hours, I think you can call me Janice, don't you?" She reached out and gave Sandra a hug. "I'm really glad you're safe, and next time I'll listen to you." She said, "But what happened to those two men?" She asked.


In the Police Station Crimmonson was talking to his clients.

"... our hands are tied, you tried to kidnap the Coleman girl and were caught, the police have agreed to that charge, you'll be fined the then released." He said.

"But you told us you'd be able to get us off!" Bob said, "After all, that guy pulled a gun on us!" He added.

"The police didn't see any gun and so there is no evidence. Now I've told you what to expect and once you're out the Association will take care of the minor details." Crimmonson said packing papers into his bag.

Bob looked at Jase with a smile on his face, "Well that doesn't sound too bad does it!" he said, Jase however knew what happened to failures in the Association and knew his best option for survival was to join the other side.

So he put on a cheerful face, but as the custody sergeant was putting him into a cell he made a special request.


After Sandra had finished with her visit she and Veronica ended up at their home.

"Oh what a day!" Veronica said as they sat down with a cup of tea, Sandra agreed with her mother, it had certainly been a day to remember.

Sandra sat up as a thought struck her, "Mum? Will we still be watched wherever we go now?" She asked.

Veronica looked at her, "I don't know. I suppose until Sir Bartholomew thinks we're safe they will be." She said, "Does it worry you?"

Sandra thought for a moment and then she shook her head, "Not really. I suppose they've been watching us for some time though." Her eyes widened, "That man, the one at the crossing. Do you think he... ?" she asked.

Veronica nodded her head, "I suppose so, but I can't say for certain." She said and realised that this was the first time she'd deliberately lied to her daughter, she hoped it would be the last.


The next few weeks were a blur for Veronica and Sally as they were working without Joyce, Luckily the partnership was clear and nothing unusual occurred, although one thing happened that Veronica later found out about, the firm defended, and with some success, a case of kidnapping — the defendant was handed over to a private firm on the understanding that should he commit any offences he would be returned for a gaol sentence, much stiffer than he would have previously received.

Of course Crimmonson tried to get a similar result for his client, but there were other problems with his history.

Veronica only found out about this case by reading the weekly reports that all members of the partnership had to make. She recognised the hand of Sir Bartholomew in this.

She picked up her phone and asked to speak to Sir Bartholomew. "Wilson here." The voice on the other end spoke, Veronica told him who it was, "Ah, Mrs. Coleman, it's nice to hear your voice." Wilson said and passed her onto Sir Bartholomew.

"Good morning Veronica, is there a problem?" In fact Sir Bartholomew had been expecting her to phone.

"Yes there is. Why did we defend a kidnapper, the very person who was handcuffed to my daughter?" She asked, very angrily.

"Ah yes, him. Well he appealed for our protection and after reading Captain Williams report I felt that he needed help. You are aware of the fate in store for people who fail the Association?" Sir Bartholomew looked at a newspaper headline, 'PRISONER COMMITS SUICIDE, HOME OFFICE INVESTIGATES!' "But I assure you that he will not have anything to do with either yourself or Sandra, we do try to help people as well Veronica." He added.

Veronica considered this, she looked at the transcript of the trial, "Oh very well, but I hope you don't regret it." Veronica said.

"Oh I'm sure we won't." Sir Bartholomew said cheerfully.

And so the partnership settled down, Veronica had a new secretary to replace Joyce as Sally was promoted to Joyce's position and the three of them worked well together.


The marriage of Joyce to Sir Timothy was carried out, with Sandra invited to be a bridesmaid, there were plenty of ermine robes in the first few rows, but as a — very good — friend of the family Veronica was allowed to sit in the front with Joyce's mother.

Both women cried large tears as the vows were said, and Veronica was proud of both her daughter and Joyce.

True to his word Sir Bartholomew announced his retirement from the political world and that his son, Sir Timothy would take his place in the House of Lords. There was the normal ceremony when Sir Timothy was given his ermine and the right to take his seat. Veronica heard about the investiture as did many in the legal world, but it was the phone call from a voice she half recognised that began the change in her life.

"Mrs. Coleman, my name is Baxter; I'm Sir Timothy's Butler." The man said and indeed his tone reminded her of Wilson.

"How do you do Baxter, where is Wilson if I might ask?" She said curious.

"My predecessor has gone with Sir Bartholomew to the private island. I have taken up the post." Now she remembered where she had heard the voice before, Baxter used to be Sir Timothy's Valet.

"Mrs. Coleman, I have been asked by Sir Timothy to enquire if you would be able to come here for tea? I have taken the liberty of having a car sent to pick you up." Baxter said as if the concept of Veronica refusing wasn't considered.

Veronica smiled at his choice of words, "Thank you Baxter, and please inform Sir Timothy that I will be happy to accept." She said knowing that Sally's eyes were watching her.

"So you're going up in the world again." Sally said with a smirk. Veronica shook her head, "Not really, just visiting an old friend." She said and then continued with the paperwork. Her car was announced by the security guard at the front desk, he would also have checked that it was an Organisation team driving it.

Veronica arrived in the lift and the doorman saluted her as he opened the car door for her, when she got into the car she noticed that here was a small screen as well as a telephone, the partition between the driver and her was down so that she could talk to him.

"I see there have been some changes." She said.

The driver nodded, still keeping his eyes on the road ahead, "Yes Ma'am, Sir Timothy's started to revamp the Research and Development section; he's trying to upgrade communications in these cars." He said.

Veronica nodded and sat back, the urge to press some of the buttons was fought back.

Soon the car arrived at a new location, although Veronica was used to some of the people on guard.

As the car arrived at the house it was met by a youngish man in a formal suit. "Mrs. Coleman? I am Baxter, if you will come with me I will show you to Sir Timothy." Baxter said with a bow.

As she was shown the way she asked Baxter some questions... She learnt that Sir Bartholomew had moved with his wife and a small staff to an island he owned, it was normal for their family to do this after working hard for the country, and the Organisation, they then had a peaceful retirement.

She asked where Baxter had trained for his position and was surprised when he was evasive, he just said that after formal training he'd understudied Wilson and was also Sir Timothy's valet, even after his marriage to Joyce. By the time he'd finished he was opening a door to a small room.

Sir Timothy got up as she entered and kissed her cheek, "Veronica it's been too long, how have you been?" He asked, although he did read the reports sent in by his watcher every day.

Veronica smiled, "I'm fine, Sir Timo..." she began but he held up his hand stopping her.

"Please Veronica after all you've done for us I think we can do away with titles, I'm just Timothy to you from now and always." He said and his look told her that he was serious about that.

Veronica smiled, "Very well Timothy, but if you were in public I'd have to call you Sir Timothy and that's final I'm afraid." She said

Sir Timothy nodded, "Of course Veronica, now the reason why I asked you here was to make a proposition." He said.

Veronica laughed, "Why thank you Timothy, have you tired of Joyce already?" She said which made Timothy smile.

"Not at all, by the way I'd better tell you that we're expecting our first child." He said and blushed.

"That's wonderful news Timothy, when is it due? And how's Joyce?" Veronica asked pleased for them both.

"In six months and Joyce is starting to get morning sickness." He said and then his manner changed, "But that isn't why I've asked you here... I understand that Sandra's going to university shortly?" He asked.

Veronica's eyes narrowed slightly, "Yes, somehow she got a sponsor who is paying for her. That wasn't necessary you know." She said.

Timothy held up his hands, "That wasn't me, it was something my father put in place for some chosen ones, as we're down to the last one's we're trying to get the best for them, but none of them know where the money is coming from, or why!" He said.

"So what if they don't want to join the Organisation? Will they have to repay the money?" Veronica asked.

Timothy shook his head, "Not at all! They have a chance to improve themselves, we're not pressurising them into anything." He said, "But we're getting away from the subject again. What are you going to do with yourself while Sandra's away?" He asked.

Veronica thought for a moment, "Well there isn't much going on at the partnership, and I must admit that I was starting to get a bit restless..." She said.

Timothy nodded, "I thought so. How would you like to get more involved with the Organisation, just while Sandra's not home?" He asked.

"I... I'm not sure, I mean I'm not a fighter or anything brave like that." She said surprised at the question.

Timothy laughed, "You do yourself down Veronica, you have more in you that you'd let out. All I'm asking is that you allow yourself to be shown what I mean." He said.

"But what about the Partnership?" Veronica asked.

Timothy laughed again and shook his head, "Veronica, Veronica, you've done such an expert job that I'm sure Sally or April could look after the normal things and, if not, they would have a direct line to you here." He said indicating the office.

Veronica looked shocked, "What do you mean here?" She asked.

"Well, I thought you needed somewhere that you could work from, and this is the best I could come up with. Let me show you around." He said and took Veronica's unresisting hand.

"The original house was built in the 18th Century by one of my ancestors, I'm sure Joyce would be able to tell you which one, he had an architect and ensured that the basement was specially re-enforced to allow subsequent additions to both the building, as well as below." Timothy said as he walked along, Veronica noted that Baxter had now taken up position behind them.

"We have a small staff here, just keeping the place tidy, two cooks, five maids, two footmen and 4 gardeners. But that's just for the normal household." Timothy was saying

"Normal household?" Veronica queried, wondering at his choice of words.

Timothy smiled and stopped by a non-descript door, he pressed a concealed button, and there was the sound of a lift mechanism.

"Well, we have to keep up appearances; this is a listed building you know." He said as the lift noises stopped and there was a click as the door unlocked. Timothy opened it and gestured for Veronica to step inside.


She was in a large cupboard, brooms were hung up on hooks, dustpans and brushes stored neatly away and various cleansing items were stacked neatly on shelves. Timothy moved a hidden panel to reveal a plate of glass, he pressed down on it with his hand, what seemed to be a bar of light moved down the plate, and Veronica looked on bemused.

"It a handprint recogniser, it scans your hand and then matches it with a known set of patterns... that reminds me we'll have to get your records updated." He said as the room started to descend.

"Where are we going?" Veronica asked as she felt the movement but everything seemed to stay in place.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.