Remote Viewing - Cover

Remote Viewing

Copyright© 2006 by Volentrin

Chapter 7

It was another weekend, and I was again at Ben and Courtney's place. I drove to a county library, and parked my car there. Tom was waiting for me, and he transported us to his place after checking to make sure I was clean. My car was definitely monitored. We could not afford to have HS or anyone tumble onto the fact he was still alive and well.

We were in his backyard sparing, and he was good. I had developed a set of combat reflexes courtesy of that training school in the alternate reality he had sent me to. I always lost, but this time I had a trick. I had found a reference to an old move and had practiced it for a couple weeks now. Hopefully he had not run across it and I would actually take him down for a change.

Lets just say it didn't work. Damn, but he was good.

"Nice move there, Scott," Ben said afterwards.

"Well, it didn't work, so it couldn't have been that good," I said dejectedly.

"It would have, but I had a master pull it on me a few years ago. It's a very advanced move. Where did you see it, if you don't mind my asking?" he asked curiously.

"Believe it or not, in the HS library self defense section. It was in an old book, printed in the 60's," I replied.

"Old?" Ben said, laughing. "Old is if it's a hundred or more years old. Forty some odd years means nothing in the life of a book," he added in a superior tone.

We went back into the house and he offered me the use of the guest shower. I took him up on it, and let the warm water beat over my muscles. It felt really good. I spent a good twenty minutes letting the warm water soothe my aching body.

I finally turned off the water, dried, and got dressed. I went to the living room. Courtney was gone, and Ben was not around. While I wasn't worried, usually, someone was in the living room.

I went into the kitchen and poured myself a cup of fresh coffee. I almost dropped it, when Ben popped out of nowhere, as he often does.

"Damn it! I spilled coffee! Shit that's hot," I glared at him.

He grinned, obviously not contrite.

"Towels are in the drawer there, try not to leave a mess, or Courtney will give you what for," he responded with an evil chuckle.

I snorted.

"Not if I tell her you did it," I laughed at him.

"Let me pour a cup of coffee, also. I will meet you in the living room. Just one more stop to make, and I will fill you in on an exciting possibility," he said, and popped off to nowhere (nowhen?), again.

After cleaning up my spill, and topping my coffee, I went into the living room. I sat sipping my coffee, and Ben came in about a minute later.

"Ok," he said, and sat down in a wingback chair. "Scott, I have been searching for other 'talents' for some time now. Our world has driven me nuts with its absence of 'talented' people. For example, the world I had you trained in, is not loaded with 'talents'. They have enough of them, though, to know how to train them. And, they are familiar with them.

"So it is not surprising that when our government discoveries one of us, they want to clamp down on us, and control us. It's a reaction of fear, mostly. They fear that you will use your talent against them. So they treated you and I the way they did, out of a 'perceived probable' worst-case scenario. Ergo, our involuntary enlistment into government service," Ben said, and went silent for a moment.

"Uh, I know all this. What set you off?" I asked curiously.

"I think I found someone who has a 'talent', and a damned good one, too!" Ben said excitedly.

"Really? What is it?" I was really curious now.

"First you have to let me set it up for you. Computer, run Florida Strike, for Scott," Ben said a bit loudly.

"Working... from the AP News Service. 'While issuing a speeding ticket to a young college student studying Botany, Florida highway patrol officer, Paul Kenner's cruiser was struck by lightning. While no one was hurt, the cruiser suffered approximately 5,000 dollars worth of damage. There was no rain, and no clouds were in the sky at the time. Curiosity collectors have bid on the cruiser, offering as much as 60,000 dollars. Neither the officer nor the young lady were available for comment.' End story," the computer said.

"So? Freak things happen all the time. What's so different about this one?" I asked.

"Does it help if I tell you that this is not the first time something strange has happened around this girl? I went back and followed her through time, and the list of what happens coincidentally in her vicinity, is impressive," Ben responded.

I thought for a moment. Well, coincidence was one thing, but a series of them could mean something else.

"How many strange things we talking about?" I asked cautiously.

"Until she was about 12, none. Then the things started happening. It averages out to one a year. It is usually more if she gets upset," he stated.

I was stunned. Another 'talent', and it was a she!

"So, what do you know about her?" I asked eagerly?

"I'm so glad you asked. She is 22, and is finishing her last undergraduate year of Botany. She was down in Florida visiting her grandmother, when the incident occurred. I followed her life for several years, and the things that happen around her are definitely real.

"Most of it seems independent of conscious thought. It's more likely a natural act of self-preservation, rather than deliberate control. As for the apparent control, that is iffy to tell you the truth. I am starting to think she does it all by instinct, rather than from a deliberate act," Ben paused and looked thoughtful.

"Ok, this tells me strange things happen when she's around. Now, tell me what some of these strange things are?" I asked, burning with curiosity.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.