Radiator Springs: A Zansasi Highway Adventure - Cover

Radiator Springs: A Zansasi Highway Adventure

Copyright© 2006 by DB_Story

Chapter 14: Oh My God!

Up rolled Sally's identical twin sister, except she wasn't quite identical.

"This is Mirabelle," Sally announced proudly.

While I could see the family resemblance in their identical model and year, and especially in the eyes, Mirabelle was flashier than Sally's restrained elegance. While she has the same clean lines, you just can't ignore her metallic candy apple red paint, aftermarket chrome wheels, and — dare I say — substantially enhanced pinstriping. Nor the slightly throatier rumbling of her exhaust system.

"Hello, stranger-not-for-long," Mirabelle boldly introduced herself in a husky contralto.

"Mirabelle," Sally announced in a voice of pseudo-pained resignation, "has yet to see the charm and allure of a place like Radiator Springs."

"Hey, sis," came the instant retort. "The Fast Lane was built precisely for cars like us."

"I've heard that before," Sally replied, her voice in neutral. "I've even said that before."

I was catching on quickly here.


Speaking to Sally directly, even as Mirabelle was inching closer to grab her share of the attention, "Check me out on this, Sal. Your sister doesn't value life here in Radiator Springs in quite the way you do. And you believe it's because she hasn't experienced enough of life otherwise to realize just how priceless this place really is."

"Exactly!" Sally exclaimed, her motor racing in her excitement.

"And you really do care about her, don't you?" I shouldn't have even bothered to phrase that as a question.

"Of course I do. She's family."

"And you think that somehow I can help?"

"Would you?" they both replied in unison, revving up together now, before turning to look directly at each other.

I had to laugh as they obviously were unable to conceal their girlish eagerness. That alone took fifteen thousand miles off both their odometers.

"Mirabelle needs someone to help her through the rough spots. As you saw with me, although we're great travelers who can easily cover long distances, that particular Highway offers some rather unique challenges."

"I know what you mean."

"And we don't like to travel alone," Mirabelle chimed in. "At least, not completely alone."

"Mirabelle needs someone to watch over her," Sally said, firmly wresting the conversation back. "Someone who truly cares about her. Someone who can keep her — or get her — out of trouble long enough to return here some day when she's ready to settle down."

"Awww, sis," came the red car's plaintive cry.

"You know it's true," Sally told her back firmly. "Do I need to race you again to decide this? We have our own little dirt track just over the hill precisely for settling differences like this." Then looking at me she added, "Would you do this?"

What could I say? I've never said my dream car only came in one particular color, although Sally is as special as they come. And she knew that I was thinking.

"If you'd come along at another time in my life..." she offered me.

"I know," I replied, knowing that my time with Sally was truly over now. That left only the next choice to be considered.

"Interested?" I invited, looking directly at Mirabelle now.

"He comes with my very best recommendation," Sally added helpfully. "We've traveled some very good miles together."

"Hop in!" Mirabelle shot back at me, flipping open her driver's door, making it clear in the process where she wanted me in her life. Mirabelle's quick acceptance of me was certainly more than just the high redline on her tach. It proved once again the old axiom that the most desirable males are those someone else already has.

"You'd better say goodbye now," Sally said with her brightest smile. "Mirabelle is like me in one regard. Too fast to wait around long for someone who can't make up their mind."

While that was certainly obvious, I took a moment first to go over and give Sally a hug —throwing myself across her hood. I think she blushed right down to her taillights this time. I'd known from the first moment I saw her that she'd never really be mine to keep. I just never realized something even better might come out of all this. Someone who was available, and interested.

"Tell me something," I said addressing both of them. "When you two race, who wins?"

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.