Fifth Place
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2006 by RPSuch

Cooperation between Betty and I continued without a hitch.

Each time I saw her, I could see a sadness in her eyes and it gave me a little satisfaction. It also gave me a little dissatisfaction with myself that I could enjoy her suffering.

But each time a strength and determination to recover from her self-made unhappiness also showed in her. It gave me a little satisfaction that I was happy to see her on the path to recovery. It also gave me a little dissatisfaction that I could have any empathy with her situation. Basically, the whole thing generated a lot of ambivalence.

But that's how life is, isn't it? So little is clear and the consequence of actions taken or not taken are rarely what we expect. All you can do is the best you can.

Karen was getting pretty close and was not as spry as she had been. Our sex life was completely devoid of acrobatics. But then, acrobatics are overrated, especially for those of us who are not acrobats.

I answered the doorbell and Betty was there smiling broadly. I invited her in. The women exchanged greetings, though Karen didn't get up.

Betty lifted a piece of paper and shook it at us.

"I begged, wheedled and called in favors and got in to see our judge. He signed the decree. If you guys are still interested, you can get married now."

Alright, with this notice it wasn't going to be the big wedding that Karen, like almost every other girl, had dreamed of. We could do that later. But, it would be before our baby was born.

I know it's not that big a deal these days and we had agreed originally to have it long before we were married. But the announcement brought a smile to Karen's face.

"Let's do it," she said.

I went to the phone and called a judge I knew. I came in contact with lots of them in my work and even counted a few among my friends.

She was happy to be involved.

As we were discussing the date and time I heard Karen tell me, "Get off the damn phone!"

I turned and gave her a quizzical look.

Betty was helping her from her chair.

"Let's go have this baby" said Karen.

Lisa heard this over the phone and asked what hospital.

We drove in Betty's car. It was bigger than mine.

Lisa was waiting for us at admitting.

I recall some of the conversation, but I desperately wish I'd had a camera to catch it.

"Do you take this man as your lawful, wedded husband?" Lisa asked.

"Who is your carrier?" asked the nurse at the desk.

"Personal choice," I answered.

"I need an answer," said Lisa.

Karen hesitated. "Uh, just trying to recall the question. Yes, I do."

"Membership number?" requested the nurse.

"And do you take this woman as your lawful, wedded wife?"

"Do you need the group as well?" I asked.

"Just one wife, one husband is how this works," said Lisa.

"I need them both," said the nurse.

"I need an answer," said Lisa.

"Yes, I do. Which part is the group?"

"Does anyone know of any reason these two should not be wed?" asked Lisa.

"Yes," said the nurse. "I need this information and we have to get her up there right now or we're going to have a hell of a mess."

"Then ask your damn questions while she's on the way up. You," I pointed at the nurse, "not you." I pointed at Lisa.

"Does anybody else object?" I asked with not a little trace of annoyance in my voice.

Nobody did.

"Good, let's get this show on the road," I said.

The whole group moved with me as I wheeled Karen to the elevator.

"By the power vested in me by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I now pronounce you man and wife."

"I'm sorry, sir, you can't go with her unless you're related. We have rules," said the nurse.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.